Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Snow Scene for Tracks & Streets?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Playing with rocks . . . Topic Next Topic: Scenery efforts lurch forward on Henley  

PhilC
Switcher

Steam

Posted - December 03 2023 :  11:56:28 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PhilC to Buddylist
I'm Building a Bedford Falls HO layout (like in the movie It's a Wonderful Life) and wondering what can be done to make tracks and streets snowy (safely without harming trains) like at the end of the movie?
Thanks for any advice and guidance!

"Don't drive on the railroad tracks... I'm betting that oncoming train is going to swerve first!"
-Phil Connors, from the movie Groundhog Day
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: December 03 2023  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2023 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 03 2023 :  11:13:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Woodland Scenics makes a snow product. I've never used it, but it comes in a large shaker bottle like any other ground material.

Years ago I made a snowy photo diorama with baking powder. I sceniced the scene like any other layout (paint, ballast, ground foam etc.) and then sprinkled on the baking powder. It looked good but I never did get the baking powder cemented in place very well. It was prone to flaking off, hence why I'd suggest the WS product. Also keep in mind that baking powder can damage 'chrome' on model cars, etc.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 04 2023 :  10:48:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hey Phil, sounds like a fun project. Like Da Cheez recommends, the Woodland Scenics product is
pretty foolproof. AVOID using flour: it will eventually attract insects. Baking powder I am not
familiar with, probably best to try a test patch on a scrap of cardboard and see how it responds
to a fixative agent, like spray glue or old fashioned white glue diluted with water.

Here are two layouts I did with snow. Both used WS. For clear ice, I like to use Gorilla Clear
Glue. Same price as WS, but it sets up slower and is less runny, so it is easier to control while
setting.

https://youtu.be/TJuN2gpBNVM

https://youtu.be/MCTotVdXUg4

Show us some pics of what you accomplish! And have a wonderful Christmas.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 04 2023 10:52:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 04 2023 :  10:53:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Phil, sounds like a fun project. Like Da Cheez recommends, the Woodland Scenics product is
pretty foolproof. AVOID using flour: it will eventually attract insects. Baking powder I am not
familiar with, probably best to try a test patch on a scrap of cardboard and see how it responds
to a fixative agent, like spray glue or old fashioned white glue diluted with water.

Believe it: Model Railroader Magazine used to promote the use of asbestos back in the 1950's. Ah, no.

Salt, I think, would crust up when contacted with a fixative, such as water and glue.

Here are two layouts I did with snow. Both used WS. For clear ice, I like to use Gorilla Clear
Glue. Same price as WS, but it sets up slower and is less runny, so it is easier to control while
setting.

https://youtu.be/TJuN2gpBNVM

https://youtu.be/MCTotVdXUg4

Show us some pics of what you accomplish! And have a wonderful Christmas.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 04 2023 :  10:48:42 AM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Playing with rocks . . . Topic Next Topic: Scenery efforts lurch forward on Henley  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000