Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 The Hot Dog Stand
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Fox Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Dirigibles at the Empire State  

David Brewster
Big Six

Posted - August 27 2023 :  4:12:27 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add David Brewster to Buddylist
I've been searching for a Hot dog stand/cart in O scale to add to my NYC diorama without any luck (hot dog stands are very common in NYC). So, I decided to make my own. It's my own design, based on pics of real hot dog carts. Made of solid wood, which I cut myself and glued together. I went over it with a silver sharpie to give it that metallic/chrome look. I took apart an extra O scale bike I had for the wheels. A lot of the hot dog carts I've seen pics of look like they also used bicycle wheels. I also used the handlebars and the frame of the bike as the handle for the hot dog cart, which is a little hard to see in the pics. I used images I found online of real hot dog carts for the condiments and chips and signage, and had them printed on cardstock. The umbrella I found in the party isle of Walmart in a bag full of them, and painted it by hand. It's made of very thin paper. It had some Chinese letters on it or something. So, I painted it to a more traditional American look for a hot dog cart. Hot dog carts are actually required to have umbrellas to protect the food from the elements and plus it provides shade, keeping it cooler in the sun. I ordered an actual hot dog stand vendor on ebay. But, until he arrives, the old man in the pics is watching the store. He decided to set up shop right in front of the Empire State, giving McDonalds some competition. If I had to do it again, I'd probably make it a bit smaller. It turned out slightly larger than I expected. But, I think it's ok. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 214  ~  Member Since: May 14 2023  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator 

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - August 27 2023 :  8:46:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Nice work and a really nice touch to the scene.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: May 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

David Brewster
Big Six

Posted - August 30 2023 :  2:41:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add David Brewster to Buddylist
The vendor arrived today. O scale. Made by Arttista. Made of pewter. He was a bit shorter than I was hoping for. So, I made him a stand out of cardboard and painted it to match the asphalt. I also shortened the umbrella and the condiments just a bit.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 214  ~  Member Since: May 14 2023  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Fox Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Dirigibles at the Empire State  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000