Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Need advice about window glass restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Ephrata Valley RR GG1 #4800 Topic Next Topic:  

Guidostrains
Switcher

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 07 2022 :  7:11:47 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
I am in the process of restoring a roundhouse made by The Ideal Aeroplane & Supply Company ca. 1939. It's an old paper and wood kit and in pretty good condition ... for it''s age. My issue is the acetate window glass used in the kit. A few are torn and some are shriveled as if they came to close to a heat source. They all have printed grids to simulate the old steel framework of windows from that era.

Question #1: Does anyone know how to restore acetate?
Question #2: What is the best way to print the gridwork on styrene? I have paper thin clear styrene that will go through a printer but ink smear is the problem.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 07 2022 :  9:26:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I don't even know if this is a possibility, anymore, but in the days of overhead projectors, I used to photocopy the mullion pattern I wanted onto the plastic overhead projector sheets on the copier at work. I just googled the things and they still sell them mail order. I don't know whether office supply stores still have them.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - June 08 2022 :  12:02:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
I'll cheerfully suggest, having no experience, print decals and apply to any backing of your choice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 08 2022 :  11:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
When you say ink smear is a problem on your styrene prints, do the sheets come out of the printer smeared, or smear later when handled? If they come out clean, try hitting the sheet with a thin layer of rattle can clear coat. Some printers allow you to specify glossy photo paper when loading the paper... try it on that setting if you haven't already.

Maybe check the local print shop, office depot, UPS store, etc. and see if they can print on clear sheets? If not, I'll second the decal suggestion.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 09 2022 :  12:27:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What a remarkable kit. Is this HO or O? I've never heard of such a thing,
and 1939, following a devastating Depression, this sort of thing must
have been highly unusual. Could we see a photo of what you have?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

Posted - June 09 2022 :  7:10:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
DaCheez: Both. The ink doesn't dry fast enough on the styrene.

Chops: There isn't much to see as it is partially disassembled. I have been working on some paper restoration techniques which takes a long time and I have never done this type of work before. But here is what I have.

Original box and instructions ( Box needs restoration, too ).

Both sides and back walls. This shows the distortion of the glass.

Front view. Front left is the most damaged part of the structure.

Close-up of clerestory wall and windows.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - June 10 2022 :  11:23:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
Another alternative would be to mark the window grid on the clear sheets with a fine point Sharpie. Do the thicker black border with a thicker Sharpie.

Tedious but doable.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 11 2022 :  07:35:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I've not seen anything like that, and in 1939 HO was pure novelty.
Found this:

https://aerofred.com/search.php?search_fields=image_publisher&search_keywords=Ideal%20Aeroplane%20&%20Supply%20co.,%20Inc
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

Posted - June 11 2022 :  5:59:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
Crown Vic: I am seriously thinking that this may be the best suggestion, but as you say, tedious.

Chops: Is it that you have never seen this particular kit or not heard of Ideal Aeroplane & Supply. Here is another Ideal paper and wood item that is waiting for restoration.

Even the pulleys are paper.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

Posted - June 11 2022 :  6:02:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
I forgot to post the assembly instructions. I did not have these so this is from HOSeeker.

Previous Topic: Tyco Ephrata Valley RR GG1 #4800 Topic Next Topic:  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000