Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 1950s Mantua tank car
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What is this? Topic Next Topic: What be this?  

Guidostrains
Switcher

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 03 2022 :  8:55:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
Looking for information on this old Mantua tank car from the 1950s.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 03 2022 :  11:32:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
I've never seen a Connie tanker made by Mantua. Or Tyco. The way Mantua and Tyco formed, separated, combined, separated has caused a lot of confusion over the years. I don't have each catalog from the 1950s, but I do have a few including the 1959 catalog. Based upon that information, the tankers produced by Mantua in the 1950s are:

Deep Rock
General American
Gulf
Mathieu
Mobilgas
Penn Drake
Quaker State
Republic
Shell
Sinclair
Staley
Texaco
U.T.L.X.
Valvoline

Could this be a custom paint job or could someone have put a non-Mantua tank on a Mantua frame?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

Posted - June 04 2022 :  12:20:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
This tank is built like all of the metal tank cars of the 1950s and has a printed wrapper attached to the tank body. It is not a custom paint job. To print a wrapper would require some sort of stamp or printing press back then. My thoughts is that it may be a promotional item for the Roselle Company. There is a current Roselle Company in Newark, NJ that deals with garbage. Is this the same company? It is located fairly close to where Mantua Metal Products was based, being in New Jersey. But this is just speculation on my part.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 06 2022 :  11:27:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I don't know enough about old Mantua to comment on this specific car, but I seem to recall reading there was a company (companies?) that were producing aftermarket paper sides for freight cars back in the early days of HO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 06 2022 :  2:44:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9pxnTRzsQ

Closest thing I could find on the Net. Very interesting concept. When HO was new, it was such a novelty.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Guidostrains
Switcher

Posted - June 06 2022 :  3:22:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Guidostrains to Buddylist
Dacheez; I would like to see that article. It may answer questions about some of the cars I have.

Chops; Nice video. I always like to see the vintage trains running.

The problem with the old cars is identification of manufacturer; especially the wood and paper cars. There are so many manufacturers that are no longer in existence and production records are almost impossible to find. Modelers from that era are also getting fewer and fewer and their collections are being destroyed. Information about the old trains is getting harder to find or I am not looking in the right place. Any info helps.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 25  ~  Member Since: April 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: October 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 06 2022 :  4:23:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
quote:
Dacheez; I would like to see that article. It may answer questions about some of the cars I have.

Chops; Nice video. I always like to see the vintage trains running.

The problem with the old cars is identification of manufacturer; especially the wood and paper cars. There are so many manufacturers that are no longer in existence and production records are almost impossible to find. Modelers from that era are also getting fewer and fewer and their collections are being destroyed. Information about the old trains is getting harder to find or I am not looking in the right place. Any info helps.

Originally posted by Guidostrains - June 06 2022 :  3:22:17 PM

I agree that it is difficult to find documentation from the 1940s and 1950s, and when it becomes available on eBay or another auction house, it is expensive. For example, a recent Lionel HO auction of three manuals sold for around $500.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 06 2022 :  7:38:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
In our age of computers and photo editing software, it'd be super easy to print your own car sides off of a photograph. You could even change road names to suit yourself. I've thought about it some, but haven't gotten around to trying it. If I do it, I'll probably just cut the sides out of some junky broken thing and put a smooth board in its place and then cover that with the printed side.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 08 2022 :  11:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Guidostrains - June 06 2022 :  3:22:17 PM

IIRC it was an interview with someone who was close to Gordon Varney, published in an old model railroad magazine ca. ~1980. I looked but can't seem to find it now. If anything turns up I'll repost it here.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What is this? Topic Next Topic: What be this?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000