Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 43 ]  [ Total: 43 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco Shorty GG1
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: A Tyco Santa Fe F7 With a Red Skirt Topic Next Topic: Union Pacific 4 Step F9A  

Lachute
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 15 2022 :  1:40:15 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Lachute to Buddylist
Hello,
I want to buy the famous Tyco Shorty GG1. But this loco is sold as "an inconsistent runner". I'll probably have to take the loco apart to see what's going on inside. How can I gently remove the body from the chassis ? Thanks a lot for your help.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: May 15 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2022 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 15 2022 :  2:57:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I believe the shell is just clipped onto the body so a flathead screwdriver will work if you GENTLY go into body & pry it apart
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 15 2022 :  4:56:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Just gently pry off the tabs. I installed two of those vamp motors to make mine a heavy pull and a good runner.
Always did like that McGuinness scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTvgt7YdnbE
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - May 15 2022 :  4:57:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Does that even have a chassis? In Tyco fashion, the black pins under the loco numbers are the devices which hold the truck gimbals onto the shell. Like Buss said, simply pry the PT truck out of the shell and see what’s going on with it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 15 2022 :  5:04:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
No Chassis. Nope.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tyco collecter
Switcher

Streak

Posted - May 16 2022 :  09:11:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tyco collecter to Buddylist
Well, being that I dealt with my Tyco C630 over the weekend, there is no chassis. Get the weight out and THEN you get the power trucks out. That's the way I like to do it because I don't want to risk any wires.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 17  ~  Member Since: May 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: November 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 16 2022 :  10:18:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Also, if the traction tires are bad, Calumets are good.

tyco collecter
Switcher

Streak

Posted - May 16 2022 :  11:28:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tyco collecter to Buddylist
When you open up the motor, unscrew the two screws on the sides of the brush plate. If you try to pry the brush plates on the main plate off, the springs will pop out and you will spend all day looking for them. Plus, you risk breaking the plate, and breaking a wire.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 17  ~  Member Since: May 12 2022  ~  Last Visit: November 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Lachute
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 18 2022 :  12:32:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Lachute to Buddylist
Thank you very much for your very helpful answers. Unfortunately, a guy beat me and bought this locomotive first.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: May 15 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 19 2022 :  01:10:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lachute
Switcher

CNRedAvatar

Posted - May 19 2022 :  10:36:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Lachute to Buddylist

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: May 15 2022  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: A Tyco Santa Fe F7 With a Red Skirt Topic Next Topic: Union Pacific 4 Step F9A  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000