Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW April 3 to 9, 2022
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW April 10th - April 16th 2022 Topic Next Topic: LOTW March 27 to April 2, 2022  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2022 :  5:57:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A Precision Engineered Model Company, PEMCO, piece. An offshoot of disgruntled Tyco designers
who wanted to restore an element of quality to the entry level line of model trains. Features
include see through grills and a Power Torque, otherwise known as "Ringfield," motor, that is strong
and reliable. Unfortunately, they launched in the early '90's and were swept away by the video game
revolution within two years.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 03 2022 :  10:31:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice Pemco Alco C430 Chops.

I picked up this Geep from a train store I drove-out to visit on Saturday - it is a Bachmann factory dummy Penn Central GP40. It's missing the couplers and coupler box covers but I will fix it somehow.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 04 2022 :  04:16:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:

A Precision Engineered Model Company, PEMCO, piece. An offshoot of disgruntled Tyco designers
who wanted to restore an element of quality to the entry level line of model trains. Features
include see through grills and a Power Torque, otherwise known as "Ringfield," motor, that is strong
and reliable. Unfortunately, they launched in the early '90's and were swept away by the video game
revolution within two years.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 03 2022 :  5:57:35 PM

That's an odd looking C430. Cab windows are too small and low. I guess this idiosyncrasy is endearing, like the EMD dynamic brake fan on the AHM C424 or the EMD fuel tank on the Tyco C430.

Edited by - jward on April 04 2022 09:27:06 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2022 :  05:36:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hadn't noticed that, but yeah. Love that dummy, RP.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 04 2022 :  08:36:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Chops- PEMCO was in the early 80s. I bought some of their stuff in my early teens and always wondered why they had a clone of the Tyco 4301. RP- love the PC dummy. I have that as a powered unit. I’ll see how the couplers are mounted and send photo to help you get that into use.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2022 :  08:46:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
More info. Can neither confirm or deny.

ate: 05/18/02 03:18
Re: history/origin for Pemco HO train line
Author: pjb

PEMCO was the result of a collaboration of Chinese and TYCO employees who effectively misallocated funds to be used to expand TYCO\'s oriental production facilities. In addition to the advertized they set up their own facilities to produce what became the PEMCO line. There ensued a legal wrangle which TYCO sort of won. Not all the funds used came from them,so they could not get the PEMCO plant and tooling. PEMCO was to be allowed to sell so much to recover whatever was invested that did not come from TYCO. During all of this TYCO was sold off with Mantua getting its name back and so forth. The Chinese government sold the assets, and things get murky as to who and how much PEMCO produced. ChiCOM officials also grabbed some piece of the action , and a hell of a lot of product was made. The tooling was sold to Model Power and Mehanotechnika who were to collaborate on producing the line (not under the PEMCO marque). However,the wheels began to come off the nation of Yugoslavia, and Model Power needing money sold Mehanotechnika their hunk of the action. The latter lined up IHC to fund this, because IHC needed something beside Rivarossi, and was already selling some Mehanotechnika products. Slovenia became free and with some changes in drive systems the PEMCO line was reborn.

I can\'t comment about DE models, as I have no concern with or for them. However, if you read Bob Higgins test and review of the PEMCO mogul in Model Railroading , back then when Bob Schleicher ran it, you will see it ran well and outperformed any other plastic North American prototype steam locomotive on the market. Reviews of it and the C&O 4-8-2 in Model Railroader and Model Railroad Craftsman likewise indicate they were excellent locomotives both from the standpoint of detailing and performance. The IHC versions sold today differ principally in having RP25, rather than NEM, wheel contours and drives housed in the engine moulding , rather than the tender. IHC/Mehanotechnika have also placed a 4-4-0 frame under the mogul boiler. Inasmuch as the SP mogul represented by the model was a heavy hitter ranking with the O&W\'s camelback moguls.the G-5s,and the Belt Line\'s heavyweight 2-6-0s the resulting American type is nobody\'s standard.
The IHC/Mehanotechnika \'GG-1\' is a more faithful representation of that loco than any other mass marketed one, including earlier ones from IHC/AHM. I can\'t comment about relative merits of DEs as noted earlier, but I can tell you that no model of a steam loco produced by TYCO ever equalled anything produced by PEMCO.
Good-Luck, PJB
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2022 :  08:49:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
y mas:

https://ho-scaletrains.com/pemco-alco-century-430/

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 04 2022 :  12:54:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

For this weehttp://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/uploaded/toptrain/20220404125317_IMG_3756%20-%20Copy.JPGk the Lindsay diecast PA-1.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 04 2022 :  1:33:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Nice. Is that an Athearn drive under that hunk of lead? How much does that thing pull?

Edited by - jward on April 05 2022 06:00:23 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 04 2022 :  9:32:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops and el rojo grande - can't go wrong with an old Bachmann dummy GP40.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2022 :  11:41:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That Lindsey is mad cool. I reckon it was made when the prototype was
under the flag.

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 05 2022 :  07:55:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Well this is not in any way helpful- I got this second-hand and it had a Kadee conversion so there is nothing left of its original coupler attachment technique.

Although that should not keep us from gazing upon its beauty!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 05 2022 :  10:10:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jward Linday had their own very good drive. a suspended floating drive. It worked very well.
Chops You got that right.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 05 2022 :  10:11:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jward Linday had their own very good drive. a suspended floating drive. It worked very well.
Chops You got that right.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 05 2022 :  11:02:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That is a nice PC GP40 - and no worries. But that does give me some ideas....

Previous Topic: LOTW April 10th - April 16th 2022 Topic Next Topic: LOTW March 27 to April 2, 2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000