Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 The nose style on the E8 Locomotive
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Kellogs Hopper Question Topic Next Topic: Is This Really a Tyco Boxcar?  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 22 2022 :  12:04:52 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I will try to obtain a photo tomorrow regarding this question. I have been unable to turn up anything at all
on the internet, so perhaps I am misidentifying the specific model of locomotive.

There seem to be two types of front end on this locomotive. One is quite beautiful, in the vein of Art Deco
popular in the '30's, and it was a long nose giving the design a remarkably sleek and elegant look.

Then there is the bull dog nose, like an F unit, that is rounded and stubby. It does not enhance the visual impact
of the locomotive, but looks rather more industrial. From internet searches, all the E8's and 9's have that stubby nose.

The question is, where does that long, elegant front end come in? When does it date to? What lines ran it?

Thank you in advance, and will try to post a photo Tuesday.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 22 2022 :  01:04:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The long sleek front end, what I call the slant nose, was first used on the EA models for the B&O in about 1937. They were among the very first streamlined passenger diesel locomotives built. The TA, E1, and E3 through E6 models all used the slant nose. The slant nose ended production roughly around the end of WW2, when the E7 was introduced with the bulldog nose.

Not as well known was the E2 with a more bulbous nose than anything else EMD produced. It was only used by the UP and affiliated roads SP and C&NW on the City of San Francisco trains.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - February 22 2022 :  1:14:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
This is the E-8 E-7, the shorter of the noses

Edited by - el rojo grande on February 22 2022 2:44:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 22 2022 :  2:33:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Actually, that is the last surviving E7. The E8s and E9s has distinctive wraparound number boards not used on an other EMDs.

This E7 is missing the engineer's side number board housing, but the one on the other side can be seen protruding from the nose. PRR modified their E7s with external number boards.

A pair of restored PRR E8s head west at Tyrone, PA 07july2007. My photo.

Edited by - jward on February 22 2022 2:41:56 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - February 22 2022 :  2:45:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Thanks for the clarification jward. I corrected my post.

I see a SEPTA logo on that first silver coach. Do you know what charter group had that train that day?

Edited by - el rojo grande on February 22 2022 2:47:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 22 2022 :  3:34:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I had to look up what an E2 is. Interesting.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 23 2022 :  01:16:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thank you for the great replies! I just knew that slant nose
had to be a 1930's thing, an Art Deco touch, a bit like the
streamlined G's of the age. Now Jimmy and I know what to be
looking for- an E3.

The Alan Jackson photo is treally interesting, but the vertical
streaks look ever so much like pigeon poop. Hope I am wrong.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 23 2022 :  1:20:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Proto2000 made E6s. There is a nice undec one on ebay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304256396045?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338817834&toolid=20006&customid=255_255_255

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 23 2022 :  10:52:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'm a bit gun shy with Proto 2000, some years ago there was a rash of Proto 2000 units of any
description that routinely had split drive axle gears. Same can be said for a number of a
manufacturers, but Proto was MRSPing at top dollar and churning out infernal junk. Has the
situation markedly improved? My first thought is if this seller is trying to offload his garbage.

A couple of years back, long story short, I sold a batch of 50 NIB Proto 2000s of various types
to a professional model railroader. The first thing he did was take them all down, and one by
one replaced the drive gear before reselling them. He didn't even check to see if the gear was
damaged, just automatically replaced it before resale.

And yes, Jimmy has several Proto 2000's, and none of them has yet to be run in. This might
not be good for him.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 23 2022 10:54:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - February 24 2022 :  09:49:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
P2K locos did have a lot of split axle gears, but it is a simple fix - replace with Athearn gears. Just something to be aware of, and you can often get good deals on them because of that, or at least you used to. Other than the gears, they are good runners, very smooth and will pull a lot of cars. All the ones I have had are pretty hefty. The detail on the shells are excellent as well.

I wouldn't be shy of any P2K, any more so than an Athearn BB loco - they also suffer from the same split gear malady. In either case, it's also an easy fix if you don't want to pay for new parts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 24 2022 :  10:04:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
So what is the price of a half dozen Athearn axle gears on a $79 locomotive? You'd still be under $100, far less than brass. And unlike brass you'd have a known good locomotive. If those weren't out of my era (my railroad dieselized late with lots of Alcos) I'd snap it up myself. Matter of fact I might look for a Proto E8 which would fit my railroad better.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 24 2022 :  6:49:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A good point to consider.
  Previous Topic: Tyco Kellogs Hopper Question Topic Next Topic: Is This Really a Tyco Boxcar?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000