Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Removing the Shell from a Mantua Sloped Tender
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Where to buy replacement drive wheels for 2-8-0? Topic Next Topic: Removing a Tyco Caboose Shell From the Base  

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - January 27 2022 :  11:18:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
Is there a trick to this? I thought that maybe the trucks were screwed into shell housing, but I have removed the screws and it won't budget. I can't see any other place where it is connected.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 28 2022 :  07:04:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Depending on when the tender was made, there are either three plated steel pins that press into holes in the shell from the bottom, or pins cast in the chassis that press into holes in the shell. If you see the heads of the pins, you have to pry them out. Otherwise it's a question of prying the chassis out of the shell a little at a time from both ends, carefully to not break the shell.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - January 28 2022 :  09:05:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
quote:
Depending on when the tender was made, there are either three plated steel pins that press into holes in the shell from the bottom, or pins cast in the chassis that press into holes in the shell. If you see the heads of the pins, you have to pry them out. Otherwise it's a question of prying the chassis out of the shell a little at a time from both ends, carefully to not break the shell.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - January 28 2022 :  07:04:35 AM

Thanks for this. I don't know if I want to risk damaging the shell, so I will probably leave it as is.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 28 2022 :  12:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
If at first you don't succeed, try vice grips.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - February 09 2022 :  10:20:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
A 2lb hammer will fix almost any train/car.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Where to buy replacement drive wheels for 2-8-0? Topic Next Topic: Removing a Tyco Caboose Shell From the Base  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000