Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Alpine layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: trial 2% grade Topic Next Topic: Huge layout of older trains in Emlenton PA  

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 24 2022 :  08:17:49 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
As some of you may know, I am a proponent of thinking vertically in layout design. It allows you to fit alot more railroad in a small space.

I came across this layout in a FB group I belong to. It is based on the Swiss tourist railroads that take you to a mountaintop from a station in the valley below, and thus as presented here would be mainly used by self propelled electric MU cars. But it also has possibilities as an American style mining railroad in a place like Colorado where there were some incredible narrow guage lines into places no railroad should ever have been built.

As built the layout is about 45" x 59." Track is Bemo HOe, which represents meter guage track.

By expanding the area slightly to 4x6 it is possible to build this with 15" radius curves and a steady 4% grade. The upper station would be 13" above the lower one. I am tinkering with this plan in Anyrail, and expect that it could be built with 18" curves, my minimum standard, in slightly more than 4x6.

Edited by - jward on January 24 2022 2:47:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 24 2022 :  11:51:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
What a neat design! The drawing looks a lot taller than 13". I wonder what model equipment the original designer had in mind to run such grades.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 24 2022 :  9:11:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome layout plan!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 24 2022 :  10:33:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
What a neat design! The drawing looks a lot taller than 13". I wonder what model equipment the original designer had in mind to run such grades.

Originally posted by DaCheez - January 24 2022 :  11:51:53 AM

TO answer your question, the layout appears in this video at about the 5:15 mark. It would appear that he used much steeper grades than I would, and rack railed track. When I redid the plan in Anyrail, I tried to make it practical for American style equipment to run on.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: trial 2% grade Topic Next Topic: Huge layout of older trains in Emlenton PA  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000