Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW December 12 - 18, 2021
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: Dec. 19th - Dec. 25th Topic Next Topic: LOTW Dec. 5 - 11, 2021  

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 12 2021 :  09:09:09 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
My LOTW this week will be another triple header.
To start, here's my Tyco Santa Fe 0-6-0 hauling a mixed freight to destinations east.

Secondly here's my snowplow-equipped Tyco Santa Fe 0-4-0 Booster heading a Maintenance Special up to the pass to plow snow.

Finally, here's my Tyco warbonnet C430 hauling a boxcar special.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 08 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2021 :  10:46:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Santa Fe, all the way!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 13 2021 :  09:42:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist

Meet the newest member of the Alleghany Railway fleet.

I'd been looking for a Walthers ML8 to use as a shop switcher, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price online. I saw one of these at a train show working on an S guage layout as a "narrow guage" industrial locomotive, and was impressed by how slow and smooth it ran so I got one for myself.

I find myself impressed by the vast improvement in running quality of Bachmann locomotives over the pancake motored stuff I grew up with. And this unit is no exception.

It is seen here passing Cedar Cliff on the Cumberland Terminal. In addition to its duties around the locomotive shop. I envision this one on work trains, or possibly passenger excursions when the steam locomotives are unavailable.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 13 2021 :  09:57:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a really nice piece. The slow, grumbling switchers always add
so much character. I didn't know this was a Bachmann piece. It is good
to hear a positive report about them. They lead the charge in fashioning
some of the most interesting and unique models, but then curse them
with truly awful PT motors and splitting gears. Hope they reverse the
curse.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 13 2021 :  10:14:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
That's a really nice piece. The slow, grumbling switchers always add
so much character. I didn't know this was a Bachmann piece. It is good
to hear a positive report about them. They lead the charge in fashioning
some of the most interesting and unique models, but then curse them
with truly awful PT motors and splitting gears. Hope they reverse the
curse.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 13 2021 :  09:57:53 AM

I've found the newer Bachmann stuff to be solid performers, comparable to classic blue box Athearn. When they upgraded the line in the 1980s, they eliminated the pancake motors and traction tires in favour of all wheel drive and pickup on all wheels. It truly made a difference. My only complaint is that many models lack flywheels. But I run DCC now, and can tweak the momentum settings to compensate for this. These improvements also extended to their freight cars, which are now properly weighted with metal wheels and knuckle couplers. the "serious" modellers will never accept Bachmann but I am a fan.

If only TYco would have lasted long enough to upgrade their line like this. Imagine what a brute a C630 with all wheel drive would have been.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 482  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 15 2021 :  11:07:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Here's some beefy Tyco power!

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2021 :  2:20:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A Bachmann loco is my choice this week. It ia a U.S. Army GE 44 ton centercab of the transportation corps.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 16 2021 :  3:24:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Never saw a Bachmann 44T with European style buffers before.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 16 2021 :  4:09:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Never saw a Bachmann 44T with European style buffers before.

Originally posted by jward - December 16 2021 :  3:24:52 PM

I just looked it up and it was made by Liliput. Bachmann owns Liliput, in case you were unaware.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 16 2021 :  4:43:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Bloody nose and zebra stripes- reminds me of where I grew up.

That 44T is definitely one I'd never dreamed of before, but
makes perfect sense as a period piece.
  Previous Topic: LOTW: Dec. 19th - Dec. 25th Topic Next Topic: LOTW Dec. 5 - 11, 2021  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000