Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Dec. 5 - 11, 2021
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW December 12 - 18, 2021 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 28 to Dec. 4, 2021  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 05 2021 :  6:39:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is an Athearn F-7B (Tabor and Waldo 9603B). A while back, I got a Train Miniature Alco FA. It had a mechanism made with Athearn parts, and pretty much like an Athearn, except it had no flywheels. It turns out that the flywheels are extremely helpful in creeping down a steep grade with a train pushing from behind. The engine did poorly on the downhill, unless it was paired with an Athearn F-7 with a flywheel to smooth out the tendency to lurch downhill. I had an F-7B painted for Chicago and Northwestern, to match a CNW F-7A, but I wanted one that matched the paint on the FA. At the last swap meet, I got an F-7B shell for $2, and painted it to match the FA. Now, I just swap shells to run the F-7B with either the FA or the CNW F-7A.

In the full-sized world Alco and EMD locomotives play well, together. They both use electrical MU (Multi-Unit) controls, so putting an Alco together with an EMD in one consist is reasonable. Baldwin was the odd one out with pneumatic MU controls, though it could be modified to work with other brands, as well.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator 

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 05 2021 :  7:01:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Having extensive experience with Athearn drive locomotives over the years, I can tell you it shouldn't be hard to add a flywheel to that FA1. Athearn sold their flywheels seperately, and they may still do so. They are a press on fit to the motor shaft, but you'd also need new shorter universals, also sold by Athearn. The chassis should be a modified F unit, so look at the drive line in your F7B and you'll see what parts you need.

I wish everybody provided the parts support Athearn did for their blue box locomotives.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 05 2021 :  7:07:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Nice pair Shaggy! They look right at home on your rugged layout.

My LotW is a Lindsay FA/FB pair. Lindsay engines seem to have a real problem with zinc pest, the A units in particular. This set was cobbled together from the parts of several engines a few years back, but has been out of action for a while due to a broken motor mount. I fixed it today I *think*. We'll see how long it lasts.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 05 2021 :  8:30:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
what's the name of that font?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 05 2021 :  9:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 05 2021 :  8:30:11 PM

Air Conditioner. You can download it off the various free font sites!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 06 2021 :  10:54:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I finally got an HO-scale locomotive just like the ones that pull the freight trains in my area! (southeastern Massachusetts)

Bachmann's CSX GP40! This is the current DCC-ready model. The freight trains running through here technically use GP40-2s that were rebuilt around the 90s or 2000s that were originally Chessie units, but it's close enough. And several of said GP40-2s do indeed have the newer boxcar CSX logo. (Others are still in the Dark Future paint scheme, though.)

Opening up the engine to install a decoder. Get a load of the hole that the tank covers up; that's so you can fit in a speaker if you're installing a DCC sound module!

I used a TCS DPX2 decoder, since the locomotive has an 8-pin DCC socket. The interior is typical of modern Bachmann GP40s, utilizing a 5-pole can motor with dual flywheels and LED lighting. Shows how Bachmann has really come a long way back when their products were more like TYCO's.

Here she is up and running! I love the detailing on the shell. I plan to get a second Bachmann CSX GP40 (preferably one with the older version of the Dark Future scheme) so I can have a double-header freight train like the real ones running through here, or maybe even a Conrail locomotive! (This is because Conrail used to operate through my area before they went defunct and CSX took over; Conrail also used to own the track line here before the MBTA acquired it in 1997.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2021 :  11:41:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hey Wiley, nice to see you around! You run Bachmann Command Control,
right? I got a small(ish) side project that I want to run with BCC; what
brand of decoder are you using and how has that worked out? Looks like
"TCS?" Never heard of it.

I am a huge "Atomic Lake" fan. Always love to see those pieces. Any chance you might shoot up some video? If AL belonged to a certain
region of a certain nation, what would that be?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 07 2021 :  09:09:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:

I am a huge "Atomic Lake" fan. Always love to see those pieces. Any chance you might shoot up some video? If AL belonged to a certain
region of a certain nation, what would that be?

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 06 2021 :  11:41:01 PM

The areas around Chernobyl and Fukushima come to mind..........
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2021 :  09:33:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Two lovely hot spots. But DaCheez is in Canada, I think, and his
fascinating Queensdale layout has a distinctive 1960's Toronto vibe.
That's just my Canadian nostalgia at work. There is definitely an
alternate universe ethic going on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 07 2021 :  10:34:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Well, everything is clean like Toronto, so you may be onto something. At any rate, I do like his whimsical approach.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 07 2021 :  12:20:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Here is my Locomotive of the week.

This is an MRC Lima Alco C420. I had one of these when they first came out, and last year was looking to get another one. A guy on ebay was selling 4 for $200 so, being the Alco fan I am, I bit. I now have 4 of them. This one will eventually become Alleghany Railway 423.

Some background on these relatively uncommon locomotives. When Lima originally produced these in the 1970s, they were pancake motored units with a bizarre truck that included the pilot, steps and coupler similar to a Lionel O locomotive.

This is the upgraded version from the late 1980s, about the same time as other cheap trainset lines began to offer upgraded models. Its contemporaries would have been the Bachmann Spectrum line with its GP30, and LifeLike's Proto2000 series BL2 and GP18. Unfortunately, while the Spectrum and Proto lines caught on, MRC/Lima quickly faded from view, and as far as I know this C420 was the only model they offered. It's a shame, because these have a heavy diecast frame, all wheel drive, and flywheels. They are sweet runners that will perform well on my mountain railroad.

Edited by - jward on December 07 2021 12:22:45 PM

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 07 2021 :  6:03:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Wiley, nice to see you around! You run Bachmann Command Control,
right? I got a small(ish) side project that I want to run with BCC; what
brand of decoder are you using and how has that worked out? Looks like
"TCS?" Never heard of it.
Originally posted by Chops124 - December 06 2021 :  11:41:01 PM

Yep, it's a TCS decoder, short for Train Control Systems. I've had good luck with their decoders, as they work pretty well with Bachmann's E-Z Command system.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 07 2021 :  7:07:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, Wiley, I've been wondering how to go about this for some
time, that solves my problem.

Interesting backstory, JWard, and it is really cool you are now packing
a solid fleet of these Alco's. Never heard about an MRC-Lima venture.
I do have a PEMCO, which was created by a rebellious group of Tyco
designers, and is outstanding.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 07 2021 :  8:55:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ephrata Valley Railroad E9A #9, formerly an unpainted Model Power diesel locomotive, looking sharp hauling passenger coaches on the 4'x8'.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 07 2021 :  9:39:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
LOTW, Mine is an Aristo Craft Frisco Makado #4028. A replacement for one that went across the Pond. It also is one of four different number Mikes Aristocraft released with the second different tender, A Mikado with the old tender is a very rare loco to find. I have seen a few on eBay, but never got one.

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 08 2021 :  3:53:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Magnificent specimen, Frank.

Tyco Trolley, courtesy of Anderson Paint Shops

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 12 2021 :  12:27:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - December 05 2021 :  8:30:11 PM

Air Conditioner. You can download it off the various free font sites!

Originally posted by DaCheez - December 05 2021 :  9:36:20 PM

thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 13 2021 :  9:04:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Two lovely hot spots. But DaCheez is in Canada, I think, and his
fascinating Queensdale layout has a distinctive 1960's Toronto vibe.
That's just my Canadian nostalgia at work. There is definitely an
alternate universe ethic going on.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 07 2021 :  09:33:57 AM

Ya, I've never really fleshed out a locale for either of the railroads. Except for the old TD bank building, Queensdale could be on either side of the border. Atomic Lake is definitely in alternate universe territory. I'll see if I can get some video up for you Chops!
  Previous Topic: LOTW December 12 - 18, 2021 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 28 to Dec. 4, 2021  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000