Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Yoke removal of rear bogie on Tyco F unit
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wiring Question for Chattanooga Choo Choo Topic Next Topic: Tyco 4-8-0 on DCC  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2021 :  03:13:37 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The yoke seems to have shrunk by a millimeter or two, and I cannot pry it over the metal
stanchion. The reason to remove it is to shave down the inner forward and aft faces
of the interior of the yoke, as it fits too tightly and is very stiff on its axis of rotation.

Is there a way to get this yoke off the stanchion? The metal part seems brittle; a tiny piece
flew off when a screw driver was used to gently pry, perhaps it is zinc.

I'm guessing I may have to cut one side of the yoke in half to free it up, and then, when reassembling
have the shell hold it in one horizontal piece, but wanted to check here, first.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 12 2021 03:14:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 12 2021 :  07:29:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Looking at all the cracks in the truck, it appears that the truck is crumbling with zinc pest. That usually expands it, so I'd say that the yoke has not shrunk so much as the truck has grown. If you can get the two apart, it might be easier to file down the truck to fit than to shave material off the slippery plastic of the yoke. In any event, it'll be interesting to see if the truck lasts much longer or if it'll finish crumbling.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - December 12 2021 :  09:02:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
Chops, I've never personally seen a Tyco Wheelset with a case of zinc pest as bad as what this one does. Considering it looks to be a Tyco Aussie Diesel, I'd say it may have something to do with the climate over the pond.

Here's the best advice I have for you. In about a week, you'll be receiving an item from me. The box will be perfectly sized for a Tyco F9. Within five minutes, I went into my parts supply and obtained these items:

That is everything required to rebuild that rear truck into perfect operating condition. If you pay shipping to me plus 10 bucks for parts, labor, and return shipping, I'll completely replace that truck with original Tyco Parts (and I'll even try to get the 15 sticker on the new truck). In addition, for this price I will also clean the shell, replace/grind the drive wheels to improve electrical contact, and I will lubricate the motor if it needs it. You'll essentially be getting a refurbished engine. You decide.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2021 :  10:50:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A generous offer, and I appreciate your skill. Would it work for you if I pay for the parts and
shipping? Easier than handrails, for sure, and a five minute assembly and solder job, that way
I don't risk mail loss/damage. It was well packed, but was knocked around hard enough to
pop the power truck out and snap off the rear coupler. Fortunately, no shell damage, though they
did their level best.

Edited by - Chops124 on December 12 2021 11:06:25 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Wiring Question for Chattanooga Choo Choo Topic Next Topic: Tyco 4-8-0 on DCC  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000