Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Handlaid track.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Cumberland Terminal/ Alleghany Railway update Topic Next Topic: Regarding mini-camera for 1/87th view videos?  

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 28 2021 :  11:51:24 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist

These are the fixtures I use when building track. The well used one top right is for #5 switches, also shown are fixtures for #6 switches and curves of 18r, 20r and 22r. These make building your own track quick and easy. I can build a switch from a 3 foot length of rail in about an hour.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 28 2021 :  2:35:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I've always thought those who handlay their own track a special breed.
If I did that, it would like something out of Looney Tunes and Cat in the
Hat combined. And how is it nailing the stuff in with tie spikes?

The ties look a little wide spaced, which would be excellent for narrow
gauge and first generation steam track.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 28 2021 :  4:14:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The ties in the fixtures are for PC board ties that are used to keep the rail in guage. The in between spaces are filled with wood ties when the track is laid.

Spiking is tedious, but whether it is unbearable depends on what you lay your track on. Plywood is a bad choice as it's too hard to spike into. The best material I've found so far is clear pine. It's soft enough to make spiking easy, but dense enough to hold the spikes exactly where you drove them. And there are no knots to deal with.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 29 2021 :  12:11:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
This is maybe a stupid question, but once you have the track pieces created, can you not glue them down to the layout as you would with plastic track?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 29 2021 :  08:55:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The wood ties are glued down and ballasted. The rails are spiked to the wood ties. I don't know what you'd use for glue to hold the rails to the ties.

This photo of an uncompleted siding shows the ties glued to the baseboard, and the rails spiked to the ties.

The switch at the top shows what they look like coming out of the fixture. The one on the bottom has been spiked onto the wood ties.

This is what the switch looks like when completed, but not yet ballasted. All it needs now is a switchstand to throw it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 486  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 29 2021 :  12:45:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Very cool! What material are the ties used in the jig made from?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 29 2021 :  2:27:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The ties used in the jig are PC board, that can be soldered to. A gap must be cut in the copper cladding to prevent the rails from shorting out.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 30 2021 :  02:04:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Ahhh that makes. I noticed the cut in the ties in the picture but couldn't tell what the material was.
  Previous Topic: Cumberland Terminal/ Alleghany Railway update Topic Next Topic: Regarding mini-camera for 1/87th view videos?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000