Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Regarding mini-camera for 1/87th view videos?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Handlaid track. Topic Next Topic: Rock Island Tribute to Redwoods'' E 60  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 06 2021 :  06:27:28 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Recently, I tried to find the old topic posted by a fellow member a few years ago, about the specific type of mini-camera they bought specifically for taking 1/87th or cab-view ride videos on their layout.

Can anyone re-bump that thread, or remember what type of camera it was?

Thanks!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - February 06 2021 :  09:05:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14223
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2021 :  09:07:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
but if you have a gopro you can just put it on a flatcar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2021 :  09:13:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
and if you want it to look like its in a cab you could just put a loco shell over it if it's small enough

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 06 2021 :  09:23:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
and if you want it to look like its in a cab you could just put a loco shell over it if it's small enough
Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - February 06 2021 :  09:13:01 AM

OR get one of these & replace B&W camera with a color camera in it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2021 :  10:32:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
when you buy one of those is the lionel TV included? or do I connect it to my own?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 06 2021 :  6:29:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
when you buy one of those is the lionel TV included? or do I connect it to my own?

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - February 06 2021 :  10:32:17 AM

I dont think a product made back then has the capability to connect to a modern day tv lol
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2021 :  6:30:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
But what if I had an older one....

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2021 :  6:48:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:

my GoPro is one of the smaller ones and my loco shells couldn't fit over it. But if you had a trashed shell you could just cut the front off and put it in front of the GoPro on the flat car

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 06 2021 :  8:44:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Go-Pro is a thought...

Thanks for the link, but that isn't the thread I was thinking of. It was under a separate thread altogether, posted by Redwoods? or Northern Pacific? I can't remember.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 06 2021 :  9:29:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - February 06 2021 :  10:32:17 AM

it used a UHF signal transmitter that you could hook up to any old TV
now you know why I wanna modernize it & go digital

EDIT: but yes Lionel did sell a mini TV that hooked up to the transmitter
it uses a 9v battery but there are articles to hook up the power from tracks to camera instead

Edited by - microbusss on February 06 2021 9:44:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 07 2021 :  12:15:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The Club used to run a onboard camera that played to a TV set on a designated F unit. Large and clumsy,
it was a bit of a pain to get to work. A few years back, these micro vid cams were pretty pricey, but
Hot Wheels Video Racer sold one for $25 that could easily download into the computer. Lot of fun, that:

https://youtu.be/yf2e9xTf5nc

The battery went kaput, and since then the price has come down a lot, and the cameras even smaller.
I am taking a chance on this one:

For $35, and we'll see how it goes.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 07 2021 :  12:17:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/pZfePF_tClQ

I did this video with a Hot Wheels Video Racer a few years back, as micro cameras did not have the prevalence
as now, it cost $25. The video is a bit grainy, but it is a lot fun to shoot vid at track level for a whole new
perspective.

Battery quit on the Racer, so trying my luck with this one, we'll see how it works out...

Edited by - Chops124 on February 07 2021 12:30:07 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 07 2021 :  12:58:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
https://youtu.be/pZfePF_tClQ

I did this video with a Hot Wheels Video Racer a few years back, as micro cameras did not have the prevalence
as now, it cost $25. The video is a bit grainy, but it is a lot fun to shoot vid at track level for a whole new
perspective.

Battery quit on the Racer, so trying my luck with this one, we'll see how it works out...

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 07 2021 :  12:17:35 AM

?
shouldn't be hard to replace battery in it

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 26 2021 :  2:02:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I use a Polaroid Cube camera which is about a 1-inch cube. I put it on a flatcar and pushed it along the length of the mainline with a sound equipped engine. Then I filmed another train traveling the same route and edited in that train so it looks like you are getting a cab ride from that train. Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj2IzB0T_gU
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 27 2021 :  9:33:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I use a Polaroid Cube camera which is about a 1-inch cube. I put it on a flatcar and pushed it along the length of the mainline with a sound equipped engine. Then I filmed another train traveling the same route and edited in that train so it looks like you are getting a cab ride from that train. Here is the video:

Originally posted by Redwoods-September 26 2021: 2:02:23 PM

YES! This is the cab-ride video and awesome layout I remembered!

Thanks redwoods!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 27 2021 :  11:06:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It never occurred to me to apply a cab face over
the lens, what a great idea. I've used the video
racer for POV filming. Advantage is it's about
$25, very easy to use, has sound recording.
Downside is the video is grainy and the battery
quit after a year. I tried to get a cheap, $35
mini cam off feeBay, but I had to go out and find
my own chip, the first camera didn't work, and had
to be returned. The identical camera they sent me
the SIM chip would not fit. All that plus S&H I was
in for $65, and still have no camera. Going to see
if I can get a replacement battery for the Racer at
a battery store. Probably just a hearing aid battery.

Thanks, Eric, for bumping this most interesting thread.
How is your narrow gauge coming along? What are
you up to in school?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 27 2021 :  11:11:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Redwoods - September 26 2021 :  2:02:23 PM

Dude, you got cat! I wish I'd seen this post before I threw money down the crapper.
The image and sound is excellent. I love to shoot video, and the quality is so good,
I might end up using that for ALL my recording sessions.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 28 2021 :  2:44:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Redwoods - September 26 2021 :  2:02:23 PM

Dude, you got cat! I wish I'd seen this post before I threw money down the crapper.
The image and sound is excellent. I love to shoot video, and the quality is so good,
I might end up using that for ALL my recording sessions.

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 27 2021 :  11:11:16 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the quality of the video from the Cube. It has a pretty good depth of field too. Here is a trick... the Cube has a strong magnet on the bottom. Use an Athearn flatcar that has a steel weight in it. The Cube will stick nicely to the flatcar while you push it around.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 28 2021 :  2:48:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

One of these days I want to retrofit an Athearn snow plow by removing the spinny thingy and putting my Cube camera in its place. Then letter it "Camera Car" and push it around with a regular loco.

The snow plow should be just wide enough for the camera I think. I need to measure it.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 28 2021 :  3:12:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I went online, and when I enter "Polaroid Cube Camera," I get everything from $9.99 to $300. Not sure what is what. What, exactly, do you have?
Like a model # or something? That was some of the best depth of
field I've seen.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 28 2021 :  10:00:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I just use the Hot Wheels camera car to do what little filming that I do! Works great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 28 2021 :  10:29:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, but my images or so grainy.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 29 2021 :  12:31:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
I went online, and when I enter "Polaroid Cube Camera," I get everything from $9.99 to $300. Not sure what is what. What, exactly, do you have?
Like a model # or something? That was some of the best depth of
field I've seen.

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 28 2021 :  3:12:35 PM

I got mine from Amazon in 2017 for $99. It was called "Polaroid Cube+ 1440p Mini Lifestyle Action Camera with Wi-Fi & Image Stabilization (Red)"

According to Amazon, this model is no longer available. I suppose you could find one used on eBay. My only concern with these is that the internal rechargeable battery is not replaceable. That means that some day it will just be a brick. Mine still holds a decent charge of over an hour but I haven't used it much.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 29 2021 :  7:38:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good info, especially about the battery. Still on the fence.
Your image quality is so much better than anything I've done.
I use a smart phone for videography, but it is clumsy, and
the images of trains moving along are just out of focus.
Your video shows exceptional focus and clarity.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 29 2021 :  3:35:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
SInce the Polaroid Cubes are discontinued, the only other camera I was able to find online that would fit through an HO tunnel is called the RunCam. Does anybody know anything about these?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Handlaid track. Topic Next Topic: Rock Island Tribute to Redwoods'' E 60  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000