Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 What brand of Alco FA1?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Is This Really a Tyco Boxcar? Topic Next Topic: Was there a brakewheel?  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 22 2021 :  8:13:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
At a recent swap meet, I picked up this ALCO FA1:

It has a single flywheel, a big, heavy metal frame, and a drive shaft to the two trucks

There was a DCC decoder built into it, but I bypassed that to make it DC analog.

The wheels appear to be blackened brass rather than the usual nickel silver, and rather than the split axle in the center gear, there's an axle all the way across, insulated from both wheels, and a gear pressed on its middle. Electrical pickup is from bronze wipers on the back of the wheel.

I have yet to figure out what brand this model is. Does anyone here recognize this thing?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 22 2021 :  11:43:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
N.A.C.

Not a clue.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 23 2021 :  03:49:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
It looks suspiciously like a Bachmann with the tub chassis and DCC. But Bachmann made FA2s not FA1s. Maybe somebody swapped an FA1 shell on the Bachmann chassis?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 23 2021 :  09:03:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
It looks suspiciously like a Bachmann with the tub chassis and DCC. But Bachmann made FA2s not FA1s. Maybe somebody swapped an FA1 shell on the Bachmann chassis?
Originally posted by jward - November 23 2021 :  03:49:16 AM

Thanks. Bachmann was my first guess, too, but like you, I only found an FA2 in their line. The way the shell attaches, it looks like it was made for that frame, so I'm still in a quandary?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 23 2021 :  09:42:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Internet photo says it is a Walthers model. Under their Trainline division.

https://www.walthers.com/alco-fa1-standard-dc-union-pacific-r-1500a-armour-yellow-gray

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 23 2021 :  09:45:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

I see some slight differences. Possible it was kitbashed a bit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5875  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 23 2021 :  09:52:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ho-scale-walthers-union-pacific-3769906222

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 23 2021 :  1:24:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think you've nailed it, WKS. The only difference I can spot is that mine is missing some parts (horns and some sort of little vent pipe looking thing). Maybe you're more observant and have seen some more?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 23 2021 :  1:58:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Just looked on the internet with 1500A as a clue Don.

Probably runs similar to yours.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 23 2021 :  4:32:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I have a trainline FA1 in New Haven but it has different number boards. I'll have to dig it out and take a closer look. Those Trainline units are sweet runners.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 23 2021 :  6:21:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Those Trainline units are sweet runners.
Originally posted by jward - November 23 2021 :  4:32:36 PM

It's smooth, quiet, and it'll pull the bumper off of a Chevy. It also doesn't lunge at all with a heavy train pushing it downhill on a steep grade. Definitely, it's a sweet runner.

Carpe Manana!

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 24 2021 :  03:21:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I've seen the videos of your layout. I'm impressed. It's the closest to what I'm trying to do. If it can perform well on those grades it will do well anywhere else.

In the near future I'm going to go through my fleet and do trials on my 3 and 4% grades with various locomotives. I have assembled a fleet of 20 Bachmann silver series gondolas to use as a test train, I just need to wire a switch to let me run either DC or DCC so I can run everything. Preliminary test have shown certain diesels will pull the entire train upgrade, but I have to be careful trying to get it back down the mountain, All that weight has a tendency to pop cars off the track if the locomotive is not smooth.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2021 :  07:32:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The world needs more "bumper pullers!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Is This Really a Tyco Boxcar? Topic Next Topic: Was there a brakewheel?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000