Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW November 14 to 20, 2021
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW November 21 to 26, 2021 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 7 to 13, 2021  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 14 2021 :  4:07:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 14 2021 :  4:42:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I wants one!

Anyway one of the last Tyco loco with that CHEAP motor in it

SEE?? I said the motor was CHEAP!

Edited by - microbusss on November 14 2021 4:42:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - November 14 2021 :  7:34:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
That motor makes me want to sit in a dark closet, crying and gently cradling a powertorque motor and calmly saying "it's okay..."

Tyco went cheap at the bitter end. And I mean it was a BITTER end.

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 14 2021 :  8:38:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a great swap out...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 14 2021 :  9:47:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by microbusss - November 14 2021 :  4:42:00 PM

Long ago, I had a C-Liner, I think from AHM, that had a drive that looked about like that. It sounded like a coffee grinder and was marked as made in Yugoslavia. Any country of origin marked on that engine?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 14 2021 :  10:28:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
AHM C-Liner's had a drive system similar to that, but MUCH higher quality, with a stronger motor and gear setup, but yes, they were noisy. The later Rock Island diesels that Tyco included in their sets in the early '90s were made by Mehano, in Yugoslavia, another manufacturer that AHM imported in its later years and so did IHC, later.

Ephrata Valley Railroad GP30 #1425, a repainted Bachmann Spectrum diesel by the Anderson Shops.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 15 2021 :  10:13:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
AHM C-Liner's had a drive system similar to that, but MUCH higher quality, with a stronger motor and gear setup, but yes, they were noisy. The later Rock Island diesels that Tyco included in their sets in the early '90s were made by Mehano, in Yugoslavia, another manufacturer that AHM imported in its later years and so did IHC, later.
Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 14 2021 :  10:28:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2021 :  1:23:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by microbusss - November 14 2021 :  4:42:00 PM

Long ago, I had a C-Liner, I think from AHM, that had a drive that looked about like that. It sounded like a coffee grinder and was marked as made in Yugoslavia. Any country of origin marked on that engine?

Originally posted by scsshaggy - November 14 2021 :  9:47:19 PM

yep from that country that no longer exists
YUGOSLAVIA!
dissolved in 2003
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 15 2021 :  2:58:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
yep from that country that no longer exists YUGOSLAVIA!
Originally posted by microbusss - November 15 2021 :  1:23:47 PM

I've seen more recent stuff from Mehano that showed Slovenia as the country of origin. That's the former Yugoslav state nearest to Austria.

Carpe Manana!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 15 2021 :  8:50:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 14 2021 :  10:28:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by scsshaggy-November 15 2021: 10:13:13 AM

You're welcome and no problem. I happen to be a huge fan of AHM C-Liners, as they are quite durable, although the shell has a lot of prototypical imperfections that I couldn't care less about.

I think AHM was absorbed into IHC, along with Mehano - I don't know if Mehano branded-stuff was sold under the AHM name or only under the IHC name later on.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - November 17 2021 :  08:15:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
My LOTW... I found this at Model Train Stuff by accident and immediately snapped it up.
This is the latest aquisition for my Morristown-Erie collection. I would guess Athearn probably
made less than 200 of these. It was made by Athearn but the chassis has Rivarossi styling.

Edited by - AF Kid on November 17 2021 1:10:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 17 2021 :  2:32:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My LOTW is this Bachmann 44 Tonner. I bought it at a swap meet to use its mechanism in another model, but that project went away when I figured out how to fix the mechanism the other model already had. This locomotive was missing some pieces, of which I was able to cobble up new ones, and was painted a drab dip-job blue. It smoked and stunk when it ran, but that was fixed when I cleaned up the commutators, which had gotten oil on them. I had some paint in CNW colors that I figured would look good on this engine along with my own railroad's reporting marks. Here's the result in profile:

Here's its pretty face:

Here it is moving a Caterpillar D-8 through the yard to the team track where the customer will unload it:

Carpe Manana!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 18 2021 :  12:31:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Never seen that B&A graphic before, AF, nice grab. The
44 tonner looks splendid, as does its flat car.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 18 2021 :  9:00:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That B&A diesel, what type of locomotive is that? GP....?

Nice 44 tonner, shaggy, and great scheme!

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - November 18 2021 :  9:59:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:
That B&A diesel, what type of locomotive is that? GP....?

Nice 44 tonner, shaggy, and great scheme!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 18 2021 :  9:00:13 PM

A CF7

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 18 2021 :  10:20:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://locomotive.fandom.com/wiki/ATSF_CF7

Link to an article about this very interesting
unit, and how it came to be.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 19 2021 :  9:01:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow - really?!?!

Because CF7's have shorter noses, generally. Unless that is unique to the ATSF rebuilds.

I would not have guessed a CF7, as I do love those locos.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 20 2021 :  09:10:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
The Bangor & Aroostook locomotives were GP7s, not CF7s. Santa Fe rebuilt their GP7s and GP9s with the same cab as the CF7s so it's easy to get them confused.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 20 2021 :  9:12:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
[quote]The Bangor & Aroostook locomotives were GP7s, not CF7s. Santa Fe rebuilt their GP7s and GP9s with the same cab as the CF7s so it's easy to get them confused.

Originally posted by jward-November 20 2021: 09:10:49 AM

[/quot

Ah, nice!

Previous Topic: LOTW November 21 to 26, 2021 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Nov. 7 to 13, 2021  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000