Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 The latest finished project! Cary lead body FT
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 3D printed log buggies Topic Next Topic: 1841 NJRR&TCo. Jersey City Depot  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 25 2021 :  8:49:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Here's one that's been sitting around for a while! I started this project years ago, and finally got around to finishing it!

Getting the see-through grills along the sides was especially time consuming! The only way I could remove the original cast grills with my available tools was to drill small holes around the perimeter of each one, cut the thin wall between holes with a knife, and then file the inside smooth. Modifying the Athearn chassis and Kato trucks was also an involved process, and the trucks wre tall enough that I had to partially cut out the floor of the GSB cab interior kit. In the end though, I think it all turned out very well!

Also, here's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm69sPw_zrE

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 25 2021 :  9:52:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! Awesome work as always - the final result looks and runs amazing! The custom chassis is legit.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 26 2021 :  01:43:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A dream machine! (But wash your hands after handling lead.
Nasty stuff, sort of in the same category as asbestos, only
it is absorbed through the skin and fastens on to hemoglobin,
displacing oxygen in the process. Among other delights, kidney
damage, anemia, and brain damage can eventually result from
repeated exposure. Why lead is now banned world wide from
gasoline).

Reasonably safe once in a plastic shell, or painted over, and you are
not handling it or breathing leaded gasoline fumes.

On a happier note, I'd really love to see a video of this sweet
restore in action. Bet she pulls like an ox.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 26 2021 01:47:51 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 26 2021 :  09:02:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Fantastic job, not only in the design and building of the custom chassis and details, but also all the complicated masking and painting of all those curved surfaces. Lots of painstaking care in that job.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 26 2021 :  10:14:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks!

Chops124, I do make sure to wash my hands after handling bare lead, so I should be safe for now! There's a video link just below the photo gallery.

scsshaggy, I actually only had to mask for the red stripe going around the bottom. The silver and orange stripes are a large Microscale decal (which did take some work to apply and set!), and the silver on top of the nose was carefully done with a brush. Scalecoat II silver has especially good opacity while remaining thin without being runny, so it came out looking clean and sharp without showing brush strokes!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 26 2021 :  11:15:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Found the vid. Alchemy. Brilliant.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 27 2021 :  1:47:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That looks great! I like the 3D printed coupler mounts that integrate in to the frame. The paint looks exceptional.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 27 2021 :  4:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice job, Darth...
Edited by - walt on September 27 2021 11:27:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 27 2021 :  7:40:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
DaCheez, that 3D printer's made a lot of things possible that I simply couldn't do well with scratch materials! It cost about as much as a high quality steam engine, and it was definitely worth it.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 28 2021 :  01:33:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You're preaching to the choir! One thing I designed is a motor mount for the old Athearn rubber band engines. The mount snaps in to place in the chassis, and the motor snaps into the mount. No glue, no shims... and if I fry a motor I can swap it in two minutes. The printers are game changers for sure!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 3D printed log buggies Topic Next Topic: 1841 NJRR&TCo. Jersey City Depot  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000