Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 1841 NJRR&TCo. Jersey City Depot
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The latest finished project! Cary lead body FT Topic Next Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build
Page: of 2

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 23 2018 :  08:55:37 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 1
About a week ago I received from Bond 007 some Info on this depot. From this new info and other that I have found, construction can start on the NJRR depot 1841. This is a 4 day catch up as to where i am now.
Frank

The locomotive maintenance area lithograph. From a 1841 map.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on May 22 2021 06:32:58 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 23 2018 :  09:20:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
post 2
Remarkable lithograph. A lot of historical precedents in that .
image.

Chops more to come. Allot more.
Moderator.
frank
My edit of your post.

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:10:40 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 23 2018 :  09:26:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 3

I will permanently build this on a appropriately sized piece of 1/8 inch finished plywood.

Then draw building footprints.
frank

* Roundhouse and turntable; A problem in exact replication exists here. Both the roundhouse and turntable are shown in the print to be small. The turntable is less than 40 feet in diameter, and the roundhouse stalls only 50 feet deep. Now the locomotives being produced at this time easily fit into these dimensions. In 1838 when this railroad was in complete operation, running steam powered trains the entire length of the railroad using these new small locomotives of the time, I can see no need for wider turntables or deeper roundhouse stalls. As a historian I do know that before 10 years of operating, locomotives will be arriving that are too large to fit on or in either structure. Never mind what size locomotives will be arriving during and after the civil war. I have made my turntable larger to turn the older 4-4-0 type engines. A Tyco 4-4-0 just barely fits into the roundhouse. I have 5 or 6 of them i can use.
* With the turntable here in the north east having a open pit type just doesn't work well. They cause way to much work clearing snow out of the pit in the winter. Completely covered turntable pits are used. My covered turntable is one I had already, making it my choice.
* Back to the turntable. On post three you see the original footprint I drew of the buildings and turntable. The turntable is a 40 foot one and the first back wall a 50 ' deep roundhouse stall. If I had 6 or 7 HO scale period locomotives It would have been practical to use this small round house. I only have 1 complete one. A DeWitt Clinton. I do have just the locomotive for the John Bull. I do have 6 or 7 Tyco Generals. I can rework a couple of these into early and late Morris, Rogers, or Baldwin 4-2-0 types. Now when you look at post three's drawing and see the tyco general sitting inside the footprint of a expanded back wall stall you should know why I chose a 65' deep roundhouse. I chose the larger turntable because i am not able to make the track work necessary to connect 9 tracks to so small a turntable. Of 18 separate rails going to the table 16 must cross others just before connecting at the turntable.

Machine shop;

Car Manufactory building, for building and maintenance of rolling stock.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 06:56:45 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 23 2018 :  09:32:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 4
This is the combined roundhouse, machine shop, locomotive erecting and repairing building, in a nice clean and clear photo.

When i trimmed down and fastened about 1/8' scrap wood to make foundation. Making the curve took extra work and time. It took 2 strings on track nails, one inside and the other outside the curbing to hold it in place till the glue dried. I didn't take chances and let it dry overnight.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:16:28 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bow Line
Switcher

ACLAvatar

Posted - May 23 2018 :  11:21:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bow Line to Buddylist
Wow! Nice!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: May 02 2018  ~  Last Visit: May 31 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 23 2018 :  11:46:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Awesome project Frank and it looks like you've got a solid start on it. I will certainly be looking forward to watching this build.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 23 2018 :  1:59:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome craftsmanship!!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 23 2018 :  4:44:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 8
* Well be prepared for some bad looking buildings.This is not the new bad which is good, but the old bad that is really bad.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:11:56 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 24 2018 :  4:13:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 9
The next thing I've done is to make the Roundhouse entrance doors and surrounding walls which make the front of the building.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:17:24 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 29 2018 :  6:06:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 10
* Well a few walls are appearing now. Lots of windows used already. I am using a light tan just like what I think I am seen on the lithograph. This isn"t a shake the box and squirt some glue kit every part with exception on the personnel doors and windows. All the big pairs of doors need to be handmade along with their frames. I have shaped cut out the 9 pairs of roundhouse doors already. I still need to make 6 more walls. Find more windows. The curved roundhouse peaked roof will be hard to do! It will get done, definitely not in a short time.

just me, frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:17:54 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 29 2018 :  6:41:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Coming along nicely, Toptrain! Keep up the great work.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 29 2018 :  8:24:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is going to be amazing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 30 2018 :  07:53:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 13
* Bob, Jeff, your both very helpful to me with your kind comments. I will try to make something good. I am lucky in that these two first buildings are early industrial types made to be more useful and practical then decorative
architectural structures. This company, the New Jersey Rail Road & Transportation Co. wasn't well funded, just was the right business in the right place at the right time. Though there stock didn't sell to the public. The service they provided was very successful and profitable. Ridership increases and the profits generated were put right back into the company. Always improving the first spartan designs. The large simply built train shed and a few years later the again simply designed head house were embellished to become a depot of Greco- Roman design. Pleasant for the riding public using the Depot and those seeing the Depot on the Jersey City shore line from the opposite bank of the Hudson in New York City.
Today I'll work on the walls that will hold up what I have now standing, before they fall down.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:43:40 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 30 2018 :  1:17:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I hope you will include a horse or two, as seen in the lithograph.
This was a spectacular transmission from horse power to steam
power. It must have been an age of wonders to those who lived
it.

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - May 30 2018 :  2:33:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Great project. Which type of turntable are you going to install there? "A" Frame or Gallows??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - May 30 2018 :  8:44:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice thoughtful work Frank.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 30 2018 :  8:54:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 17

quote:
Great project. Which type of turntable are you going to install there? "A" Frame or Gallows??

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - May 30 2018 :  2:33:03 PM

Armstrong turntable. push powered. It is a Kirbi turntable. You can see it in around 3 pictures. I added another wall. A short one.

still just frank.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:44:35 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 31 2018 :  01:31:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Frank, I've tried windows. Ended looking like a bad
child's drawing of a house. How in the blue blazes
did you get those windows??? They are immaculate.
Those arched doors are stunning, in and of themselves.
And the trim. How the @$%@#% did you pull that off???
Even the hinges look like they were beat on the anvil
of a 1/87 blacksmith.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 31 2018 :  07:39:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 19

quote:
Frank, I've tried windows. Ended looking like a bad
child's drawing of a house. How in the blue blazes
did you get those windows??? They are immaculate.
Those arched doors are stunning, in and of themselves.
And the trim. How the @$%@#% did you pull that off???
Even the hinges look like they were beat on the anvil
of a 1/87 blacksmith.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 31 2018 :  01:31:24 AM

*Cheep kits and built up and broken buildings at train shows and kits friends traded to me, supplied the windows so far. They are actually 3 different ones, all came with kits. They are so very close in size and detail they look the same until you look close. Some are double hung and some aren't. The arched doors are wood ones I made. I am sure I have enough for the rest of the 2 story part But the addition going to the right is one story, for special machine shop tools, supply room, and small offices for shop managers. On this part I may have to do some imaginative work to finish it.
Jeff thanks again for the nice comments.

Sill just frank.

Did you ever work with real thin wood sheets. It takes pencil marks well. It leaves a dented line in the wood and
the blade follows this indented line.This thin wood cuts with a sharp exato no.11 blade very easily.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:45:14 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 31 2018 :  11:45:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA! Nice craftsmanship!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 31 2018 :  6:39:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 21
* Well What ever I do takes a long time. Cutting and shaping takes some time , but not a lot of time. Gluing things is the time consuming thing. Also regluing whatever came apart. So here is my day's accomplishments.

still just frank.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:45:48 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 06 2018 :  8:50:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 22
Here is an updated photo showing the other 2 machine shop walls added Locomotive manufactory building.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:46:23 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 07 2018 :  12:48:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a really interesting addition. One forgets that these guys had
to pretty much make every single extra piece from scratch, short
of having an iron foundry.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 07 2018 :  08:05:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
That's a really interesting addition. One forgets that these guys had to pretty much make every single extra piece from scratch, short of having an iron foundry.
Originally posted by Chops124 - June 07 2018 :  12:48:41 AM

Some shops had an iron foundry. I toured the one on the East Broad Top, and saw a guy making sand molds for brake shoes in the Sonsonate, El Salvador railroad shops.

Even with the foundry, you'll still do a lot of machining. Many castings get some machining and many parts are just machined from bar stock and not cast.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 07 2018 :  09:47:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I didn't know that scsshaggy, thanks!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 07 2018 :  09:53:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 26

Well Don and Jeff, it would seem that like flies to carcisuses, Iron works and founders were appearing in Jersey city.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:46:54 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 07 2018 :  1:05:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A most interesting explanation. Where did the ore come from and
what sort of early ore car was used? What early coal cars were
used to transport the coal? I see a water front, by barge?
Can you imagine the labor needed to unload raw iron ore,
forget about the coal? And where did the resulting mountain
of slag and ash end up?

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 07 2018 :  3:18:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Frank, if you need a plan for your "Armstrong" turntable (name for longer version of Gallows) I have one from the
January 1948 "The Model Craftsman" magazine. If you would like a copy, give me a pm and I'll get you
one.

George

Edited by - oldtimer52 on June 07 2018 3:38:28 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2018 :  3:41:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 29

quote:
A most interesting explanation. Where did the ore come from and
what sort of early ore car was used? What early coal cars were
used to transport the coal? I see a water front, by barge?
Can you imagine the labor needed to unload raw iron ore,
forget about the coal? And where did the resulting mountain
of slag and ash end up?

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 07 2018 :  1:05:43 PM

Don I really don't know for sure. They, the NJRR&TCo. were handling coal before 1840. I would guess that the Lehigh River canals and a little later on the L&S Rail Road brought the coal down from mines in north eastern Pennsylvania to Easton PA. From there canals would bring the coal to Trenton NJ. The Delaware and Raritan Canal could bring the caol to New Brunswick and the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company would haul it from there to Jersey City. I am sure you have seen the little wooden coal Jinneys. That is what was used to haul oar of many kinds on railroads right into the 1920's. Iron Ore is plentiful and mined for many years here in New Jersey along with copper and other minerals. A lot of iron Oar was mined right over the NJ state border in Rockland and Orange county.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:47:28 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2018 :  3:57:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Frank, if you need a plan for your "Armstrong" turntable (name for longer version of Gallows) I have one from the
January 1948 "The Model Craftsman" magazine. If you would like a copy, give me a pm and I'll get you
one.
George

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - June 07 2018 :  3:18:39 PM

Hi George. Getting a copy of the turntable would be nice. Thank you for the offer.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2018 :  8:44:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 31

* My first try at making a roundhouse with a circular wall. This will be the rear wall. Front walls that face the turntable can't be curved. I will make no attempt to make the front wall curved. Here is a photo of where i am right now. I am done for the day.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:47:58 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2018 :  06:34:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WOW! Nice work, toptrain!!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 09 2018 :  09:20:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Agree, RP, this is one of the coolest things in a long time.
First generation steam is such an amazing period of time.
I go back and look at that lithograph and ponder the horse
looking over his shoulder. The World had never seen this
sort of revolution of thought and of labor ever, ever before.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 09 2018 :  7:47:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 34

* Got some framing done but not complete. Now I have decided to change the front. Removing the front posts and rafters to replace the front posts with new ones notched like the rear ones to accept a continuous top front beam. This will better align all the tops of the front posts. Also I will use front posts a little thinner than those shown here, to enlarge the door openings.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:48:28 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2018 :  7:50:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Very Cool!!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 09 2018 :  9:20:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Things are really starting to take shape.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 09 2018 :  11:35:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Toptrain,

This looks great. Keep up the good work. I'm trying to figure out how that curved beam stays in place. Did you wet a straight piece of wood, shape and let it dry so it is curved and all you have to do is glue it in place, or did you use nails?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 10 2018 :  06:35:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 38

quote:
Toptrain,

This looks great. Keep up the good work. I'm trying to figure out how that curved beam stays in place. Did you wet a straight piece of wood, shape and let it dry so it is curved and all you have to do is glue it in place, or did you use nails?

Originally posted by Brian4321 - June 09 2018 :  11:35:37 PM

BRIAN I SOAKED IT IN VERY HOT WATER. I hope when it dries out that it keeps its shape. I am thinking about drilling through the board and into the beams behind across to the front on all 9 posts. Then pushing small nails in the lock every post to the curved beam.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:49:08 AM

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 10 2018 :  10:32:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Frank,

That's some beautiful workmanship you're executing on a very interesting prototype. I can't say I've ever seen an arangement like take.

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 12 2018 :  07:52:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 40

*Guys, the curved beam acted just like a bow wanting to straighten itself out. It broke free to two side walls and everything just came apart and fell down. I am going back to my first very complicated front wall of many parts fitted together. It won't spring apart. I can after I build it, then it slide it into the front opening in one piece. That is with all the doors on. I may even make them, the doors, to swing open and shut if my patient’s doesn’t run out.

*Still Just Frank

edit added photo6-17-18 Pictured before by last repair

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:50:06 AM

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 12 2018 :  11:51:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Ouch. It must have been painful to see the beam pop off and take the supports with it. Please don't give up as this will be a really nifty part of your layout. Another option, assuming you have enough wood, is to cut the beam to the curve specifications.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 19 2018 :  2:51:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 42

* And so after a few bad ideas I had a good one. I took some very thin wood and cut 2 strips the with of the destructive strip. It curved very easily. S i glued one in it set and then overlaid the first one with second to give it thickness.

frank

a photo from 30 minuted ago; south-west corner.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:50:38 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 19 2018 :  2:57:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I had to realign and reglue part of the back curved wall shorting it.

frank

north-west view;

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 19 2018 :  3:01:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 44

* Here is the building from the west.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:51:09 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 19 2018 :  3:05:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I had to replace with a new beam the top of the south roundhouse wall. I now get a break while the glue dries everywhere.
* Next will be the rear curved wall. I only shave shorter pieces of cardstock left. To remove the seam I will uae paper long enough to cover the distance and glue it to my short pieces making one big piece. once dry and workable I'll curve it around the builtup framing and mark the center of all 7 sections (stalls). Then the real hard work starts making flat windows look correct in a curved wall. I have 2 ideas already

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 19 2018 3:29:29 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 19 2018 :  4:49:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 46

* Here are the 4 views of the Locomotive Manufactory Building. Before I start on the back and front walls of the roundhouse section.

frank

1-This is the roundhouse front view from the west;

2-This is from the south-west

3-This is the from the north

4-This is from the North-west

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:51:49 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 19 2018 :  5:01:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! That looks fantastic!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 19 2018 :  5:03:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Well Don and Jeff, it would seem that like flies to carcisuses, Iron works and founders were appearing in Jersey city.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - June 07 2018 :  09:53:51 AM

I wonder what this area looks like NOW! hehe

Edited by - microbusss on June 19 2018 5:03:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 19 2018 :  8:53:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Neat to watch this come along Frank. Nice work and engineering.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 20 2018 :  12:00:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
toptrain,

VERY nice. Keep up the good work!!!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 20 2018 :  10:25:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 51

*** Problems, problems, problems! It comes with the fact this is no kit pre designed by a very much better equipped, professional model builder, with great information on the building he is making a kit for. My problems are nothing as compared to the engineering challenges faced by the engineers who designed and built this first railroad from Powels Heck on the west bank of the North River in East Jersey as it was known then, to New Brunswick.
** Just think of what happened and what this engineer was thinking. Man this guy probably attended an engineering school or was trained by the people who have been building the first railways in England. He most likely was given to view a ruff drawn map of the proposed route and he seen his assignment included building a railway across miles of swamps, 3 rivers to cross and Bergen Hill as his main problems. His first section of the railroad to build is from Powel’s Heck to the City of Newark, the hill being the most difficult obstruction, He thinks, the next the two rivers. Well, the Patterson and Hudson River Railroad have already bridged the Hackensack River, how bad an obstacle can the rivers be. So the young engineer and his group get in the carriage for the trip up hill. The driver takes them to a viewing place called “Point of Rocks”. On the way up the carriage road follows a cut into the rock of Bergen Hill. This will be the route of the cut his workers must excavate for the line of tracks up and over the hill. Now at Point of Rocks he views Powel’s Heck and the ferry to New York City. It is high tide in the North River and Powel’s Heck is but an island connected to the land by a road and bridge. Many small islands are seen to the west and north where both the railroad tracks and the depot must be constructed. Most of the acres are underwater. These islands are dotted with trees and shacks, fisherman shacks! Seen at low tide all these islands are connected by roadways which the tide covers. A major problem not known has to do with the swamp the road must cross on the west side of the Hackensack River and between this river and the Passaic River. The road that appears on the map as straight but it winds back and forth through the swamp, connecting many high points and filling in between. The railroad must go straight across. The excavation has been going on for a while now the rocks and fill removed is being used by dumping it in the swamp to build a base for tracks. At the end of the day a big pile of rocks is seen on top of the swamp. This is good BUT next morning the rocks have disappeared. Well just put more in, is the contractors answerer to this problem. This goes on and on. The problem becomes a dilemma. Flooding occurs even after a small rain fall. This dumping must stop. After some time this problem disappears and the river starts acting normal again All the fill now has been piled up and stored on land with most going over to the river side of the hill and used as fill there. This isn’t made up but recorded in the railroads history in Bulletin 88 of the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society. Also in this History is the fact that this flooding reoccurred after the PRR took over the line and was widening the cut for more tracks. They also thought they could just throw their rocks and fill into the swamp.
* Now about those first 2 bridges they must build over the Hackensack and Passaic rivers. The rights to build bridges over the rivers were controlled by two different corporations and a third the newark turnpike claimed they controlled the right to build any kind of road to the City of Newark. They had monopolies on theses rights. The State of New Jersey gave them these rights. So right now they are stopped. They will lose their right to build this railroad unless something is worked out. The New Jersey Railroad had to make a deal with all 3 corporations. What they wound up doing was buy or trade stocks till they had control of all three corporations. Once that was done they were able to build across these 2 rivers and the swamp between. The problems just went on and on. You would think that the problems in building this less than 30 mile long railroad would have an end to them, but more Monopolies and Cities were waiting with their problems and and demands and still the engineering needed to excavate the cut, design and build three long bridges, and lay track across swamps all needed to be answered. Progress isn't easy, and it is expensive.
* Almost all here is Historical facts. The problems weren’t. They happened. I just embellished and condensed them into this story. This was not a easy railroad to build.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 26 2019 08:45:06 AM
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The latest finished project! Cary lead body FT Topic Next Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000