Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Railroadiana
 The Brick Mountain Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Arborway TT and Northwestern Railroad Topic Next Topic: The Blue Comet  

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  1:13:08 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very fascinating miniature railroad in Connecticut.

Landscape plus the bridges and tunnels are spectacular.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  1:19:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More videos for your pleasure. Not my videos.

Private layout only open to guests.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  3:00:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

More internet videos of this remarkable backyard layout.

Remarkable the time and effort and money needed to construct this masterpiece.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  7:37:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Articles and photos of the layout.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dlw909/albums/72157630321134346/

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/my-visit-to-the-brick-mountain-railroad?reply=topic/my-visit-to-the-brick-mountain156701992456449547#156701992456449547

The owner also has an O scale layout.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - September 21 2021 :  8:42:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Does he have any open houses? it looks amazing!! The one in Greenport is still in flux they have a location picked out but not without contraversy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  8:47:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Not that I know of but I did some research and found out where he lives.
On Google maps he has that nice layout from a bird's-eye view.
Secret but you can send me a personal message and I will show the location.
I respect his privacy.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 21 2021 :  9:00:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
"Does he have people who come in to help with maintenance in return for
running rights or does he hire out a lot of the work? Seems an almost
insurmountable task for one person to keep all of this running properly."

Curt

I cannot help but wonder where this guy's money comes from. Maybe
he owns Dunkin Donuts? The ride-on layout must be astronomical what
with all the bridges and tunnels. Then the O scale layout is the largest I
can ever recall seeing. This has to be in the tens of millions.

It brings to mind that in the 1890's, narrow gauge railways in Maine were
all the rage- they were like the brand new Apple stock, and everyone wanted in.
It was believed that narrow gauge with its pint sized rolling stock would be half the
cost of building a standard gauge railroad.

Well, that turned out to be a total fail. Washouts and blizzards and heat kinks made
the trains very sketchy. Worse, building two foot locomotives and rolling stock turned
out to be hugely more expensive than time tested standard gauge, which could be
turned out in quantity. The tiny trains had to be designed from the ground up, and
pretty much built one at a time, so they ended up costing way more than the standard gauge.

The real kicker was transferring freight from narrow gauge cars over to standard gauge Maine
Central, to complete the voyage to market. Everything had to be done by hand, and it was labor
intensive.

If that wasn't enough, Maine Central did everything they could to squash the competition
by refusing to allow narrow gauge to cross their standard gauge track. They typically lost,
in court, but they held up construction for years and years and staggering legal fees to the
already struggling narrow gauge lines.

The one line I have any real knowledge about was the Wiscasset and Quebec, which barely
broke even during the WWI years, and the rest of the time lost money every year. Carrying
the mail was a big part of its slender revenue.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 21 2021 9:04:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 21 2021 :  9:11:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

He owns a heating and air conditioning service for business and residential customers.
He has that business for almost 40 years. Started in 1980. Lots of money making.

Beautiful house and land in the woods of Connecticut.
In an area that I am sure you passed thru on your many travels thru Connecticut Jeff.

Previous Topic: Arborway TT and Northwestern Railroad Topic Next Topic: The Blue Comet  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000