Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Water-Damaged Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Mikado that stops suddenly/won''t run after Topic Next Topic: Mantua Locomotive Serial Numbers  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 08 2021 :  9:08:23 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
My latest steam locomotive project is this Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire steam locomotive. I picked this up off Ebay recently, as a partially-completed kit, and water-damaged. Basically all of the metal components are corroded, some worse than others, but the motor is not seized. Considering that Mantua Berkshires are uncommon, and finding the unpainted kit version is even harder, this locomotive is perfect for a repaint, for the Ephrata Valley Railroad. But first, restoration.

Stay tuned.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on August 08 2021 9:09:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 09 2021 :  6:25:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Are there more parts in there? It looks like you're missing the hanger for the rear of the crosshead guides (M0034 on this diagram):
https://hoseeker.net/mantuainstructions/mantua284berkshireinstrpg4.jpg

Aside from that, it looks like a fairly simple matter of cleaning and painting some things, and oiling the moving parts to get a pretty sweet locomotive.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 10 2021 :  09:13:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks for that diagram, shaggy. Yes, I do have the plastic hanger piece, it is in the little Mantua box, along with the remaining rods and screws (I believe.)

Progress has been made on removing corrosion on some of the parts - the tender trucks and locomotive trailing truck specifically. My dremel with a wire wheel worked wonders. Thanks to the tender trucks coming apart, I'll be able to spray-paint these parts, gloss black, as opposed to brush-painting as usual. Obviously, I'll take care to avoid spray-painting all areas on the trucks that need to be clean, for electrical contact.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 10 2021 :  09:41:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Those look good!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 10 2021 :  12:17:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey not bad
came out so great you can't even sees the corrosion
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 10 2021 :  2:16:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Those cleaned up pretty nicely. With a coat of paint protecting them, they'll be good to last the ages.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 10 2021 :  6:52:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Is that zinc rot?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 10 2021 :  7:00:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Oh let’s hope not!
Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 10 2021 :  9:18:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!! Yes, the dremel w. wire wheel did an awesome job cleaning up those corroded pieces. I'll be adding an extra layer of spray-paint primer before spraying them Krylon gloss black.

I don't think so, as zinc pest typically causes metal to get brittle, and there is no sign of brittle metal, rather just surface corrosion, on the pieces I've cleaned so far.

I can't wait to see if the motor works.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 11 2021 :  8:17:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good job, RP. You are going into a new level of model railroading, now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 11 2021 :  8:45:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Good job, RP. You are going into a new level of model railroading, now.

Originally posted by Chops124-August 11 2021: 8:17:18 PM

Thank You, Chops! I'm still a beginner when it comes to custom-painting HO locomotives, as well as working on steam locomotives, but I hope to continue to do so, learning all along the way.

This weekend I'll be off work, and so will continue with the Berkshire restoration. Stay tuned all.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 14 2021 :  8:55:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
More progress has been made, and now pretty much all of the corroded metal parts have been wire-wheeled. Today's work included the cylinders, bottom plate, frame, and brass contact pieces. I also started with removing some of the corrosion from the drivers.

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - August 14 2021 :  9:25:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Wow, that looks like some tedious work!  But it should be all the more rewarding once you get it all back together and running.
Glenn

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 14 2021 :  9:35:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Wow, that looks like some tedious work!  But it should be all the more rewarding once you get it all back together and running.

Originally posted by gmoney - August 14 2021 :  9:25:26 PM

with a Dremel & the right attachments you can do anything!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 15 2021 :  12:23:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I am impressed- that's over my pay grade. I get the heeby-gebbies just
looking at all those parts. Putting the side rods, and quartering them up,
that is something I've never mastered. Some say that's easy-peezy, but
it has always been a disaster for moi.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 15 2021 :  11:00:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I am impressed- that's over my pay grade. I get the heeby-gebbies just
looking at all those parts. Putting the side rods, and quartering them up,
that is something I've never mastered. Some say that's easy-peezy, but
it has always been a disaster for moi.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 15 2021 :  12:23:08 AM

Easy-Peezy
Lemon Squeezey?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 15 2021 :  2:05:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Indeed, microbusss - my $10 Harbor Freight dremel was one of the best tools I've ever bought, and is a lifesaver when it comes to cleaning model train contact wheels.

This is the first time I've ever attempted to completely tear down a Mantua steam locomotive, to clean each and every part of corroded metal....so it is a learning experience. The rods, having to rebuild the valve gear on the one side and start from scratch on the other, does have me concerned. But, I've got a great friend who has given me tons of advice when it comes to working on Mantua steam locomotives, so where there's a will, there's a way.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 16 2021 :  07:30:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
You have done a lot of very good work. Hope to see it altogether and running.

Frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 16 2021 :  9:30:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
You have done a lot of very good work. Hope to see it altogether and running.

Frank

Originally posted by toptrain-August 16 2021: 07:30:13 AM

Thank you, Frank! Yes, I will get there, eventually.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 25 2021 :  9:57:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I just realized I posted several updates on the Berkshire restoration on my Instagram, but forgot to update this thread, after the forum came back online. A thousand pardons.

After testing the Mantua open-frame motor, I removed all of the surface rust, and took off 1 brush setup, to access and clean the commutator. A drop or 2 of oil around the motor bearings, and the Berkshire motor runs good as new!

I stripped the diecast boiler, cab, and tender shell in dot3 brake fluid - the boiler soaked for 48 hours, while the plastic parts only 1 night. However, not all of the cardboard residue on the plastic came off - guess I'll have to use GooGone on those areas, and then thoroughly wash the tender shell and cab before spray-painting.

After taking too long of a break, I returned to the Berkshire restoration today - removing the rest of the corrosion from the driver wheels. Unfortunately, the corrosion removal also took off some of the black paint on the drivers, so I dissassembled what was left of the rod assembly, to prepare the drivers for spray-paint - which will be tedious.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2021 :  2:33:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yesterday, I spray-painted ALL of the Berkshire components, which is great, because I look forward to putting this locomotive together sooner rather than later.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2021 :  5:27:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Astonishing rebuild.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2021 :  8:59:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Astonishing rebuild.

Originally posted by Chops124-November 09 2021: 5:27:21 PM

Thanks!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 20 2021 :  10:06:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Steaming ahead on putting the Mantua Berkshire back together today, I used my new Dremel 3000 to remove all spray-paint from electrical contact points on the tender trucks, and reassembled them. I then started on the locomotive frame, wire-wheeling paint from the insert points where the brass pieces go, put the driver wheels back in place, and started removing excess paint from the drivers.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - December 21 2021 :  12:10:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
RP,
If I hadn't seen the pictures when you received the corroded engine along with the before/after pics of using the dremel tool, I would have said "No way that is the original engine." You've done a remarkable job! I'm surprised that the motor worked as I have not had luck with water damaged motors. Again, great job. Looking forward to seeing the engine on your layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 21 2021 :  9:37:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
RP,
If I hadn't seen the pictures when you received the corroded engine along with the before/after pics of using the dremel tool, I would have said "No way that is the original engine." You've done a remarkable job! I'm surprised that the motor worked as I have not had luck with water damaged motors. Again, great job. Looking forward to seeing the engine on your layout.

Originally posted by Brian4321-December 21 2021: 12:10:56 PM

Thank you very much! I have been taking my time and slacking off here and there, but the Berkshire will be running again. Same here, I thought for sure (judging by the rust, the kit box must have sat in water or was in a damp place for a long time) that the motor would be a goner, but it runs!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 22 2021 :  08:53:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*gets the decals & puts on CSX logos!*
just kidding
I'm sure whatever railroad you put on will look great
As this project is too!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 22 2021 :  9:00:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
*gets the decals & puts on CSX logos!*
just kidding
I'm sure whatever railroad you put on will look great
As this project is too!

Originally posted by microbusss-December 22 2021: 08:53:05 AM

LOL, thanks busss!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 13 2022 :  10:45:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The Mantua Berkshire restoration....continues. I tightened down the 3 rod screws on the side facing up for good, and started on affixing the assembled valve gear in the kit. It was here that I stopped and looked over all my left over parts - and wrote a list of the few little parts I am missing to complete the valve gear/rods on the other side and completely finish this Berkshire. While doing so, I discovered that my rod hanger piece was damaged or is defective, as it does not have the holes on either side where a rod piece screws on to...sadly I will need a new one. I also put on the front and trailing wheel sets.

Thanks to a trade with Garrett of the Kokosing Valley Model Railroad YouTube channel, I was able to get the rest of the parts I needed to complete my Mantua Berkshire, in the form of a Mikado chassis with driver wheels and rods. The chances of me finding all the little parts and rod hanger I needed to complete the Berkshire like the kit instructed, were slim, so this will enable me to finally finish this steamer! I swapped over the clean brass pieces to the Mikado chassis, and after fixing everything, attached the motor and now the drivers work once more. I am now in the process of straitening any bent rods and putting everything back together.

I made major headway on the Mantua Berkshire today, including getting it to run with the shell and tender for the very first time! I replaced the tender wheels with nickel silver ones for better electrical pickup, and had to do some other modifications because it turns out the Mikado chassis is a bit longer (about an 1/8th inch) than the Berkshire chassis, so the main 3 screw holes to secure the die-cast boiler were slightly off. Unfortunately the headlight no longer works as the wire broke off the light bulb after finally getting the boiler stack screwed glued in. I'm just glad to finally have the Berkshire running...although I still need to work on it more to get it to run better.

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 13 2022 :  10:52:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Nice job of restoration, RP. Most people would have junked the engine, but you've got it running again!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 20 2022 :  10:55:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Nice job of restoration, RP. Most people would have junked the engine, but you've got it running again!

Originally posted by Brian4321-March 13 2022: 10:52:51 PM

Thank You Brian!!

My Mantua Berkshire is....finally DONE!!!!! Introducing Ephrata Valley RR 2-8-4 steam engine #60. I couldn't be prouder considering the state this locomotive came from, and all the work I put into this project. There are still some small things I need to do (headlight bulb isn't working even though all wires are attached, and valve gear rods on the right side need some attention,) but otherwise, the Berkshire is complete

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 31 2022 :  9:44:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
This video documents my restoration, thru narration and photos, of an HO-Scale Mantua 2-8-4 Berkshire steam locomotive kit that had been partially assembled and water damaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0saimvvt744&t=36s

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 19 2022 :  9:33:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFhfvBYVLI&t=95s

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 20 2022 :  12:00:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Nicely done RP. The painting on the loco and tender is quite smooth and very professional-looking. You jumped in with both feet as that is not an "entry-level" rebuilding project.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 29 2022 :  08:18:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Nicely done RP. The painting on the loco and tender is quite smooth and very professional-looking. You jumped in with both feet as that is not an "entry-level" rebuilding project.

Originally posted by el rojo grande-April 20 2022: 12:00:07 AM

I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification for this post, but thanks so much! I really appreciate the compliments, especially coming from an advanced HO-Scale train customizer like yourself.

Enjoy the 3rd and last video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgS8Gb-q2WI&t=19s

Edited by - RP model railroads on April 29 2022 08:21:09 AM
  Previous Topic: Mantua Mikado that stops suddenly/won''t run after Topic Next Topic: Mantua Locomotive Serial Numbers  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000