Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Building a Roundhouse Hon3 2-8-0 kit
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build Topic Next Topic: Frankenalco  

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - June 07 2021 :  12:51:15 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
It's been a while since I have posted anything on this forum and that's because I have been working on a very special project...
Because I love narrow gauge trains I have always wanted to model them but hon3 trains are so darn expensive. But recently I found a roundhouse hon3 2-8-0 kit on ebay that I liked so I bidded and won!

Here is the process of me building it:
I wanted to model this locomotive which worked on a branchline of the Rio Grande Southern Railroad that served a mine near perins peak west of Durango:

But I realized that it would just take too many modifications to make this locomotive so I decided to model Rio Grande Southern #42

So that is what I did.
I started by filing down the flashing on the Die Cast mechanism parts

the sprayed on the primer on the parts that I was going to paint

then I sprayed them matte black

I then brush painted the firebox

then I started Building the Mechanism
Unfortunately the main rod broke and I couldn't fix it but then I had an Idea, I took at piece of wire and made a loop on the end to be able to the pin in the crosshead then, I used epoxy to attatch the wire to the main rod. and... It worked! (fingers crossed it stays that way)
here is a video of bench testing the mechanism:
https://youtu.be/XaUaCeH0iJg
with That done I started working on the cosmetic details
I started by filling in a gap in the walkway where the air compressors go
using a piece of plastic and some epoxy. then I glued one of the air compressors on top of the wakway like on RGS #42.

Then I sprayed on the primer then the black paint
and I also brush painted the smokebox silver

Then I sprayed on some gloss clear coat for the deacls to stick to
and then applied the decals and sprayed on matte clear coat on top of them

then I could finally put the shell on the mechanism

I am almost done with the loco now all I need to do Is weather it and add a coal load!
And of course I still need an hon3 layout to run it on and some hon3 cars for it to pull
This was my first time ever Building a locomotive kit and It was hard! But I had a lot of fun and learned a lot of things!

Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on June 07 2021 12:52:26 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 07 2021 :  4:06:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This is an amazing undertaking. Doesn't HOn3 just use
N scale track?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 07 2021 :  5:22:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
This is an amazing undertaking. Doesn't HOn3 just use
N scale track?

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 07 2021 :  4:06:54 PM

Standard gauge in N is 9mm which is about 30" in HO.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - June 07 2021 :  5:25:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
yep, I gotta get special hon3 track
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 07 2021 :  9:58:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks amazing, Erik! Great work!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 08 2021 :  5:30:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Really, special HOn3 track?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 09 2021 :  9:18:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Looks good! I suggest Micro Engineering Code 70 flex track.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2021 :  1:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Has that really neat narrow gauge look, that of an elephant in ballerina
shoes. I could not do what you have accomplished. I got extra loose HO
coal, if you want some. I'll drop it in an envelope. PM me if wanted.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 10 2021 1:54:17 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - June 16 2021 :  12:28:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Thanks for all the kind comments, Chops thanks for the offer but I already put a coal load in the tender
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 16 2021 :  11:55:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mine is leftover from last Christmas. Came in the stocking.
Edited by - Chops124 on June 16 2021 11:56:15 PM

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - June 17 2021 :  09:05:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Lmao
  Previous Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build Topic Next Topic: Frankenalco  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000