Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Will the Real Jade Fog Please Stand Up?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Auxiliary Tender for Tank Engine Topic Next Topic: Tyco Covered Hopper Rebuild Project
Page: of 2

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 24 2021 :  7:46:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
The “Rail Whale” mentioned in that article is part of the permanent collection at Strasburg Rail Museum. I’ve often wondered if that may have been the inspiration to Tyco triple tankers. There are several design similarities including the Buckeye trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 25 2021 :  01:27:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
How many cans of spray paint did that take? That really is a show stopper.
Speaking of stopped shows, anyone who has read the "Hunger Games"
(I did, last summer) will instantly recognize the Capitol Coal Cars. I also
noticed the Scooby Doo silohouettes for the first time, in that PRR coach.
I don't want/need any more rolling stock. I am trying to figure out to do with
half the junk I have now, besides donating it to Microbusss, but if there was
one piece of rolling stock I'd ever want, it'd be a Capitol Coal Car (good read, too).
I strongly suspect the elfette resembles Katniss, although I think of Miss Everdeen a
s a more grim sort personage.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 25 2021 01:32:55 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - October 16 2021 :  11:07:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Are you spying on me? I AM actually working on a project for a friend that involves 12 wheel tankers. He's doing the builds and i am just doing the graphics for decals. Ill post photos when appropriate. I need to add some more of my work here. I havent posted in a little while.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 17 2021 :  2:03:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

You can open up your side business with all your projects. Jade Glow Ironworks Incorporated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 17 2021 :  2:05:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
How many cans of spray paint did that take? That really is a show stopper.
Speaking of stopped shows, anyone who has read the "Hunger Games"
(I did, last summer) will instantly recognize the Capitol Coal Cars. I also
noticed the Scooby Doo silohouettes for the first time, in that PRR coach.
I don't want/need any more rolling stock. I am trying to figure out to do with
half the junk I have now, besides donating it to Microbusss, but if there was
one piece of rolling stock I'd ever want, it'd be a Capitol Coal Car (good read, too).
I strongly suspect the elfette resembles Katniss, although I think of Miss Everdeen a
s a more grim sort personage.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 25 2021 :  01:27:07 AM

I'd like to have the Buy More boxcar hehe
but I do want a whole BnL train someday hehe
course real fun would be a Grand Funk RR boxcar too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 17 2021 :  2:13:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Possible symbols.

Just a few on the internet.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - October 17 2021 :  2:18:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I'd like to have the Buy More boxcar hehe.
But I do want a whole BnL train someday hehe.
Course real fun would be a Grand Funk RR boxcar too."

Originally posted by microbusss on October 17 2021 at 2:05 PM.

Business is booming. Your first business customer with a lot of money to spend.

hehe.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2021 :  3:02:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Terrific images, WKS. I will use them in my next video, when I can get to it,
of the dread Fog in New Armadilloville.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - November 10 2022 :  10:11:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Wow- it's been a while since I was here, but I have a few projects to show.

Found this at the LHS for a few bucks

And with some junk box parts, it became this

And some funky glazing to finish off the ornate entrance way

Found out about a local LHS that host an annual sidewalk train show. Even though it was only about 20 tables on the sidewalks in a nearby small town, some nice deals abounded. I bought this Con-Cor trio but only needed the observation, but I shed no tears on the deal.

And these freight cars- super cheap. The black gon was quickly cleaned up, and converted to NYC. No photos of its transformation yet.

Also found a local flea market (Renninger's in Adamstown) that has a HUGE train booth and deals abound here too!

Found this old Strasburg RR car there. I brought a friend along who wanted one and though there were 4 cars originally, now there are none!

And here's a rare bird from the 60s- The Rivarossi Lady Bird Special

And some IHC (?) more modern release of the old ore jennies factory painted for my beloved PC!

These from Connellsville, PA flea market

And a small Chinese food restaurant from Walthers. WKS sent this to me and I finally got it built.

And to close out, a few flats of things that needed some dullcoat before hitting the rails.

Edited by - el rojo grande on November 10 2022 10:14:13 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 10 2022 :  11:09:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"A small Chinese food restaurant from Walthers. WKS sent this to me and I finally got it built."

Originally posted by el rojo grande on November 10 2022.

Does look nice with the new colors. Would fit great anywhere on your layout.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 11 2022 :  5:07:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
What program do you use to design your artwork? I need to make print ready versions of my own railroad's herald.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 11 2022 :  5:12:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
The “Rail Whale” mentioned in that article is part of the permanent collection at Strasburg Rail Museum. I’ve often wondered if that may have been the inspiration to Tyco triple tankers. There are several design similarities including the Buckeye trucks.

Originally posted by el rojo grande - April 24 2021 :  7:46:21 PM

I've posted photos here before, but they most closely resemble a small group of tank cars that ran in Australia. Those had the 6 wheel trucks and the large domes too. Given Tyco's efforts to crack the Australian market, maybe this was intended for them but the decision was made to sell them here too?

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/railwhales/a-foreign.htm
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - November 12 2022 :  09:18:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Jward- I use Adobe Illustrator, a professional design suite. But a much lower-priced design program is Affinity and there are some free ones out there too. Although I know people who are doing some great work with nothing more tha Word or Keynote.

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 16 2023 :  10:32:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Like swamp gas bubbling up through brackish water, you just never know where the Fog will resurface

Not much on the Fog Front, but here are some recent works from the FogWerks.

A rebuild of the Life-Like 7Up bottling company kit started last year. It was bought built for a few bucks in the LHS. Here is where is stands today:

The previous build was unpainted but a lot of model cement was spilled and thus required some modifications such as cutting out the garage door and opening it up

The font with some funky glazing and detailed stonework.

For a pretty simple kit, when assembled and detailed it has a lot of character.

Recently I joined two AHM gons to make a mill gondola. A friend said it needed to ride on Tyco Buckeye trucks and so it does. Now I just need to find some PC decals to make it right.

Over Easter I found myself next to the Connellsvile CSX yard and saw this interesting piece of vandalism on an auto rack

A buddy heaved this beauty my way and I have slowly been finding trucks and draft gear so it can join in my private car special

I also found myself in Atlantic City for a tradeshow and AC is best entered into via train right into the Convention Center!

My early start at the station

And the final destination

And on the way home I wondered, "how fast does Amtrak go through Lancaster County"? Turns out pretty fast! All the grade crossings were removed about 10 years ago so now we break 100mph through Amish Land.

Every once in a while, my friend WKS drops into the area and always bearing gifts! He has found a bunch of Bachmann Auto Train superliners and a few custom painted Rivarossis to add to my mania

Here's a huge factory that I built from second-hand Walther's panels.

I should not have bought this one, but you all no how this hobby goes!

Here's an old Varney that got a new paint job

This is how it started at the LHS when I saw it was a diamond in the rough.

This Lionel tanker is usually pretty faded from being made in the 60s, so I copied the art and added to it to make a bright shiny one.

Again, this is how I found it at the flea.

Well, that is enough for now.

Thanks for looking and keep on railroading!

Edited by - el rojo grande on April 16 2023 10:38:50 PM

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  08:05:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Next time you go to Connellsville, let me know. Maybe I can meet you there.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 17 2023 :  09:37:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos Dave. That 7 up building looks realistic.

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  8:07:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Absolutely jward. I will pm details when my next trip that way gets planned. I have relatives in Uniontown and friends in Pgh and Morgantown so I do get out there fairly often, but can easily make time to meet someone to talk trains and watch the real things go by. I can also get you to the Laurel Mall which has some good hunting in one of the flea market booths- if you haven't been there yet.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 17 2023 :  8:53:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That mill gondola is awesome! And that rocket fuel tanker looks incredible too.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - April 17 2023 :  9:31:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
Thanks RP. I used to do a lot more with DIY injet decals, but I slowed down- I can't find a decal media that I think works well. You need to topcoat them with clear so the ink doesn't run, but the the decal struggles to lay down well over rivets and seams. Both the tanker and the PC covered hopper were DIY inkjet decals. I don't know how they worked so well!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 18 2023 :  1:24:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that tank car is a Marx actually
I know because I own 2

Oh I should mention that the Grand Trunk Railway is where Grand Funk RR came from hehe
So it'd not be hard to replicate a boxcar in GFRR

cool beans on the 7up building
think I saw this updated one in here so I saved the pic

I'd LOVE mine to look like this!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 28 2023 :  12:08:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I hope el rojo grande/Jade Fog is still around

cause after watching all of SciFi/SyFy Channel's Eureka with Colin Ferguson aka the Maytag Man
I'd like a GD(General Dynamics) DODX boxcar hehe

Apologies for reviving this awesome thread
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Auxiliary Tender for Tank Engine Topic Next Topic: Tyco Covered Hopper Rebuild Project  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000