Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 best practices req: how to temporarily mount track
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Rio Grande Davenport Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Pennsylvania RR  E2 class  

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  12:20:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
I am in the process of setting up a table, but it will not be the final table

it might last 1-5 years

what should be the best way to temporarily mount the track? I was thinking of using hot glue then I can use a hot knife to cut out track that goes bad or if I need to do some modifications like adding a turnout

track I have has evidence of (i think) white glue, other no indications of mounting evidence

once I get the track on loose, i was thinking of a few dots of hot glue on the outside edge of the ties to keep track from wiggling loose.

I am guessing that others who have more experience can suggest some other ways.

I am also planning on adding wiring terminals to more track, as it seems the rail joiners sometimes don't connect well(mechanically and electrically)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

el rojo grande
Big Six

BethlehemSteelAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  1:09:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add el rojo grande to Buddylist
What is your table top material? If wood I would use thumb tacks and paint the tack heads black. Adhesives will be a pain to clean off when you pull up track and hope to reuse. Most of the second hand track I have seen is always missing ties where the nails or glue from the previous installation would not yield the track easily.

If it's a temporary installation, use the most-easily removed attaching method you can. Otherwise you stand to be buying new track in a few years.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 303  ~  Member Since: October 26 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  1:14:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
1/4" MDF on 2x1, not sure nails or tacks would have enough to grip onto, hence the glue idea

not too worried about wrecking track, as the stuff I have isn't the best, so buying new track would be more like upgrade, rather than , "crap, i broke it"

I also have a LOT of experience in various adhesive usage and removal(sigh), just looking to see what others think is beneficial

might stick a layer of foam , but I don't like that either, as I want to try to keep the track as f;at and rigid as possible. might solder too, and heat near foam aint the best
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  2:06:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
and advice sooner might be better than later ;)

this went together faster than I thought

maybe just duct tape to start? better than hot glue

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 166  ~  Member Since: October 09 2020  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  2:07:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
wow perspective skewed that a lot, its a 6x4, looks like 8x4

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 21 2020 :  5:04:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking good!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 21 2020 :  9:57:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I agree with Chops, that does look good. However, I really don't think hot glue would be a good temporary bonding agent for the track, as I've used it to hold down track, and it has destroyed track/the surface. I agree with the thumbtack suggestion, if it will hold, or maybe hot glue down thumb tacks in between the ties, and not to the track?
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 21 2020 :  11:15:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
If the little brads they sell as track nails would go into the fiber board, it might be a thing to try. If it doesn't work you can try something else. Put them in with a tack hammer and leave them just a hair loose. They can be pulled out with a wire nipper. If you get them too tight for the nipper to grab, pry under the head a little with a stiff knife.

Rail joiners that are fairly new and not bent out of shape should form a fairly tight connection. I sometimes solder a tail of wire to the center of the underside of a joiner before installing it. It makes a good feed wire.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  11:41:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
TOO LATE!!! (the tractor flatbed GLIDES across most of it)

details (I did not melt that tie, that was someone's thumb-fingered attempt to solder rail joiners)

I gotta pull up about 7 sections and do it over as I have some gaps like this because I tried to do it the easy way and work from two ends(some heat, a lil exacto knife, and should be good to go)

guideline are GUIDES not hard and fast rules, if stuff drifts, don't fight it

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  11:42:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
Modified tyco layout expander setup, FYI

let's see how bad stuff derails

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 21 2020 :  11:53:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
wow, clicking on the pictures REALLY shows flaws.

I'll have to take pics of all the track joints and blow them up to analyze

luckily I am NOT thumb fingered at solder joints (HAM operator) and should be able to touch up uneven ones like the gappy one I show, then buff it down with my diamond lapping plate (for sharpening that block plane in the 1st pic, woodworking hobby) and REALLY get things to glide

Edited by - tater1337 on October 21 2020 11:54:46 PM

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 22 2020 :  09:36:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
testing of removal and comparison of actual vs measured centerlines

a sharpened putty knife work great for removal, better than exacto
hot glue looks to work well
will have to keep it on for a few months to see what long term issues are
I have a hunch that I am going to end up chasing the track in circles trying to get a .128" gap to close tho
not worried

layout error is across six of 18"R and three straight 9" sections (half an oval)

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 22 2020 :  09:41:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:

Rail joiners that are fairly new and not bent out of shape should form a fairly tight connection. I sometimes solder a tail of wire to the center of the underside of a joiner before installing it. It makes a good feed wire.
Originally posted by scsshaggy - October 21 2020 :  11:15:26 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

used track from at least 4 different sources :)

joiners in all sorts of condition, from green corrosion to cold solder joints from someone determined to not use flux

I **might** end up soldering wires to the center of each rail for every single track. then you KNOW they are connected electrically. good way to test my TS80 USB iron

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 22 2020 :  10:20:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I did this once with a temp outdoor layout using the EZ Tracks

worked out pretty good until board was stolen from the woodpile it came from
Heck I even fixed the broken leg before setting up the table
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 23 2020 :  9:43:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks like the hot glue dabs work well. Neat idea.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 23 2020 :  11:22:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like the hot glue dabs work well. Neat idea.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 23 2020 :  9:43:39 PM

not perfect, but we'll see. two of them have popped off when I wasn't looking, but the track is secure enough that the train doesn't pull the tracks apart

now waiting on more track, new rail joiners and other stuff

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 24 2020 :  02:19:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have yet to lock any of mine down because I have the roadbed to put under it. I don'e seen to have problems with mine coming loose. I did snug the connectors as I put them on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tater1337
Little Six

RoboAvatar

Posted - October 24 2020 :  11:05:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tater1337 to Buddylist
mine is made up of well used(and abused) track, and I only ordered new rail joiners a couple days ago, so stuff is loose

I am kind of impressed with how much track works without any dead spots due to loose connections

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 24 2020 :  11:27:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Those dead spots can creep up on you, but they can be fixed one at a time, as needed. Another simple trick
is to gently crimp the used rail joiners for a tighter fit.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 24 2020 :  7:55:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
You're right Chops! That's what I done even though my track was all new...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - October 24 2020 :  8:05:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
yes I have done that too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua Rio Grande Davenport Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Pennsylvania RR  E2 class  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000