Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 I need ideas
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Operations Update October 2020 Topic Next Topic: Perusing some of my older videos  

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - September 27 2020 :  9:15:39 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I have hit a roadblock with my layout and don't know how to set it up I don't want to do what I did last time two big sqares and an oval on the elevated part because I got bored of that quickly does anybody have any ideas for a 3 track layout on a 6x8 foot table that I will not get bored of so fast?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 28 2020 :  01:53:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I don't know, Erik! I think the best ideas for you layout to make you happy would come from you!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - September 28 2020 :  3:26:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I think have have some ideas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 28 2020 :  5:44:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how about this?

to me I wouldn't even put in that 2nd or 3rd loop
a few sidings & passing sidings yeah
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 28 2020 :  7:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
No,no no. I built that Expander layout, and no way can it
Be done with Tru Track. It is a very poor layout, and I speak
From personal experience. The tight interface of turnouts
create derailments, which is why the plan has so many
rerailers.

Layouts get dull because the round and round effect is
repetitive. Even with ginormous layouts, like at my
former club, itgotvery tiresome going in even bigger
Circles, no matter what the terrain.

Try two over lapping ovals that are both continuous. Keeping those trains on a schedule (like a fast clock or even an egg timer) will keep the dispatcher hopping.

I did this on both Henley andArmodilloville. It will keep
You busy. Check out my fly in the sky video from
‘Layouts.’ Those collisions were not staged or even planned.
I just worked them in the video. No trains got hurt.

Also, shoot video with a little story line and use a video editor to publish your work, like I do.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 28 2020 7:28:52 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - September 28 2020 :  7:41:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I did get crossing track but I was very rushed when buying it and got the wrong one It does not work with my 18 degree radius curves I tried installing it yesterday because I was inspired by the one in Armodilloville I might get the right one soon I think I will do that
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 28 2020 :  8:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I can't say that I ever get bored with my layout. I don't mess with it much, but it is always a breath of fresh air just to go down and look at it. Or when someone visits who sees it and says, You built the table and all, in disbelief.. Just having this stuff and more, that I had and loved as a kid is pleasing to me... I believe sometimes I go back to a peaceful time, in 1974...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - September 28 2020 :  9:38:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:
I can't say that I ever get bored with my layout. I don't mess with it much, but it is always a breath of fresh air just to go down and look at it. Or when someone visits who sees it and says, You built the table and all, in disbelief.. Just having this stuff and more, that I had and loved as a kid is pleasing to me... I believe sometimes I go back to a peaceful time, in 1974...

Originally posted by walt - September 28 2020 :  8:51:17 PM

its not that I get bored its just that I need to take the effort to get the track working smooth enough for my trains then I just love running them

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 28 2020 :  10:07:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
OK, perhaps I misunderstood. I agree, Erik, trains falling off the
track gets very tiresome. Even in the simplest of ovals, trains
find a way to go to ground. Always look for uneven joints,
kinks, warps, plastic Tyco wheels more egg shaped than
round...you know the drill.

Still, if I may say, diamond's are my best friend. Easy enough
to run trains in a big circle, fair enough, not knocking that,
a LOT of people are happy to do that, and I enjoy their stuff.

By introducing the diamond, trains now have to compete
for a space. Does a Z Train take priority over the commuter?
Does the dog freight have to wait for the mixed train?

I don't go about crashing trains for the heck of it, but the
low energy impacts on my stuff never cause any damage.
Falling to the floor, that is bad, bad news.

This is a video from Henley, when I was experimenting with
diamonds and what I call, "Continual Operations," where
the trains move about each other constantly, as opposed to
"Intermittent Operations," which is in itself quite, quite cool,
and involves the slow motion interchange and switching of
cars.

Do, won't you please, shooting up some video train stories.
Rule 1: keep it short. The audience tires quickly. 2. use
some background music you like, and be sure to
credit it at the end so maybe people go out and buy it,
3. Try to be funny or interesting. 4. Use a video editor, and
be prepared to cut off reams of boring stuff.

https://youtu.be/pZfePF_tClQ

Here is a tidbit of switching using Tyco. One does not need
expensive and finicky Kadees to do interesting switching.
The horn hook uncoupling ramp is pretty much junk, but
a small screw driver and you as the switchman works
nicely.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 28 2020 10:21:14 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - September 29 2020 :  08:35:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
This is exactly why I have zero interest in layouts. They get BORING!! Like chops said, why not make a story with some stuff? You have these two lovely D&RGW engines, a gas mechanical and 2-8-0, why not start some kind of comedy starring the two? Food for thought.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 29 2020 :  10:33:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Blax has a good point. Heresy, but still, a good point.

Came back from a lovely visit with eldest daughter in Albuquerque.
Threw down this video to unwind after the hot, tedious drive.
It is made up from "cutting room floor" scraps and set to music.
It is the old Club layout, which consists of three giant loops and a
lot of useless spaghetti that is hard to reach and hard to run on.
It taught me that you can have the Manhattan Subway System for
a layout, but if it doesn't work reliably, nothing will make it interesting.
And while it took up to four minutes to complete one lap on the Club
layout, it could become quite tedious watching trains going-in-circlez
I enjoyed shooting video from every angle I could find and then
editing up a video. Stimulated my interest level dramatically, and could
include friends in the process to run trains while I shot video.

https://youtu.be/nx3676yNWuQ

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - September 29 2020 :  11:48:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
thank you for all of the ideas I will for sure be doing some stories and I came up with a good track plan too

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 29 2020 :  2:56:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I wanna see your new track plan. I am already going to copy it
for my next Old West micro layout- the two buttes and the two
track levels is pretty bomb.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 29 2020 :  3:54:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
One way to keep a layout interesting is to have lineside industries with spur tracks and switch cars in and out of them. The real railroads exist to move stuff in this way. It can be fun working out the switching moves.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2355  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 02 2020 :  04:24:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yup, line side industries and putting together a train.
Did a little of that in this video.

https://youtu.be/vrKaTYV6VvE

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 02 2020 :  04:40:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by walt - September 28 2020 :  8:51:17 PM

its not that I get bored its just that I need to take the effort to get the track working smooth enough for my trains then I just love running them

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - September 28 2020 :  9:38:19 PM

I understand, Erik! Getting the track right can be painful. Years ago I used those tiny nails to tack my trackso it wouldn't move. I have not done that yet to this layout, because I have the raod bed to put under it.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 02 2020 :  10:17:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Another thing that really "makes" a layout is the scenery - maybe try to go all out with scenicking this layout, and then in the future, if you want to change your landscaping, you can certainly do so, which helps to keep the layout "alive."

With my layouts, I like to think of them as "forever 98% complete," as I can always go back and change something down the line, to improve the layout. Kinda like how I added the quarry scene recently to the right-front corner of the Ephrata Valley Railroad - the first time I altered anything on the layout for at least a year or so.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Operations Update October 2020 Topic Next Topic: Perusing some of my older videos  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000