Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 3 ]  [ Total: 4 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Restoring TYCO Burlington F9A #150
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco F9 Ladder Replacement Topic Next Topic: 4-6-2 Pacific B&O 212B.2800  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 28 2020 :  7:46:16 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Watch this video compilation (featuring the 1st voice reveal of yours truly) of my restoration of a Tyco Burlington F9A #150. When I got it, the shell was dirty, and it was missing the front coupler as well as 1 horn, while the other was already broken. Prior to filming, I cleaned the shell with a damp microfiber cloth. In this video, this Tyco Burlington F9A is revived with just some Labelle oil and front contact wheel cleaning. Yet another piece of Tyco history preserved on RETRO TYCO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULwezUqxYs

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 29 2020 :  08:36:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Nice restoration! Your deep voice caught me by surprise!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 29 2020 :  3:23:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
"THIS TRAIN WILL RUN." I love it, zero doubt in this man's voice.

I saw you oiled the axle gears in the video. Maybe you did it off camera, but I find it also helps to oil all the axles (both for lubrication reasons and conductivity reasons), and I believe there's a way to get a drop of oil on the armature bearings as well. That low pitched growling some MU2s have is supposedly a result of the bearings running dry for long periods of time.

Excellent job regardless. It's always good to see an old Tyco moving again!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 29 2020 :  4:26:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
"THIS TRAIN WILL RUN." I love it, zero doubt in this man's voice.

I saw you oiled the axle gears in the video. Maybe you did it off camera, but I find it also helps to oil all the axles (both for lubrication reasons and conductivity reasons), and I believe there's a way to get a drop of oil on the armature bearings as well. That low pitched growling some MU2s have is supposedly a result of the bearings running dry for long periods of time.

Excellent job regardless. It's always good to see an old Tyco moving again!

Originally posted by DaCheez - July 29 2020 :  3:23:41 PM

I know! He knows those MU-2's are built like tanks!

I wonder if I could actually take one to the battlefield....

"Hey, U.S. Military, Wanna buy 100 MU-2 electric train motors?"

"Why?"

"Wait and see...."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 29 2020 :  9:55:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Maybe I will do more of these videos.....

Yeah, I realized after the fact that I should have lowered my voice a bit, as I've never talked into my camera while filming a train before, and wasn't sure if it would pick up my voice that well. It did, to the point where I had to lower the volume on the part of the video where I'm talking. And yes, that is how I talk - loud - all the time.

DaCheez, I actually didn't lube those gears - the worm gears - or bearings, as it is difficult to reach those with the truck covers on. If you remove the truck covers, at least on one side of the motor truck, then you can reach the tip of the oil bottle in to put a few drops onto the gears. I'll try that on some of my "growling" MU-2 Tyco's and see how they perform. If you have some tip on how to do it without removing the truck covers, please do tell.

Alex, 'tis true. I put my full faith in MU-2 motors and they are, by far, some of the best in the model train market. Really, the quality and longevity of the Tyco/Mantua MU-2 motor is incredible, and they have never let me down.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 29 2020 :  11:07:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I'm under the impression you can get the tip of the needle on your oil bottle through the holes in the bottom of the truck. Check out the links below, they show what the motor looks like on the inside. The brass straps that hold armature bearings are the point of failure I mentioned. You just need to be careful not to get oil on the armature or brushes.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6070
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGfIyZ_OrNk
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 30 2020 :  9:35:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks for passing these on - and yes, I already knew about how to drill out the rivets....just never got so inclined as to do that to all of my MU-2 locos. I'll have to try to lube the gears with my oil bottle tip, and see how the train runs after that, I'm sure much more smoothly.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco F9 Ladder Replacement Topic Next Topic: 4-6-2 Pacific B&O 212B.2800  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000