Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW July 26 to August 1 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW August 2, 2020 - August 8, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 19 to 25, 2020  

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 25 2020 :  10:25:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Lesney Models of Yesteryear American 4-4-0

well I know this doesn't count but its still a model of a train loco
I paid $2 for this at the local flea market & its in nice shape
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 26 2020 :  08:38:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I think they may have used the molds from the hornby toy story loco for that one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - July 26 2020 :  09:38:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist

As a lone C430 slides a small mixed freight into the yard in mid-February 1980, the writing was on the wall for the mighty Rock Island. And it spelled trouble. The route of the rocket was no longer the mighty good road it used to be. The infamous rocket was now nothing more than a bunch of pieced together, tired old diesels.Trains were getting fewer and farther between. Alas, The Rock was deep in the red, and sinking faster by the day.

My LOTW will be my new Rock Island C430. I picked up for a decent price, and the unit showed up in MINT condition. Absolutely NOS.

My Tyco R.I. units are special to me. Growing up in North Central Kansas in the early 2000s, I got to see the immediate afterlife of The Rock, the Kyle Railroad, riding on the original Rock Island tracks from Eastern Kansas to Limon, Colorado. Operations were strong until around '87 or '88. Around then there was an extremely wet year and a river flood. And when the Kyle went to run trains over extremely saturated R.I. era tracks, well...let's just say it didn't go the best...

The soggy tracks sank and split under this one and another train. The wet year decimated the tracks and the Clyde, KS R.I. bridge, and thus by the mid 1990s the original R.I. Tracks east of Belleville were totally gone, and by the time I came around the tracks didn't go east of where I lived in North-Central KS. By then the Kyle was in dire straits, and when I left the sunflower state for Minnesota in 2004, it was becoming part of RailAmerica. I'm just glad I got to see the Kyle and it's R.I. Heritage while I was there...

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on July 26 2020 3:50:47 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 26 2020 :  12:28:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
that track you describe is there but ends just outside of Ames, KS
Also from Ames eastward is all gone
the Kyle Railroad is now owned by Genessee & Wyoming

Edited by - microbusss on July 26 2020 12:29:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 26 2020 :  2:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Nice story Aaron!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 26 2020 :  5:43:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

This Mehano, looks great, runs great. Wish everything ran this good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - July 26 2020 :  6:10:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
quote:
that track you describe is there but ends just outside of Ames, KS
Also from Ames eastward is all gone
the Kyle Railroad is now owned by Genessee & Wyoming

Originally posted by microbusss - July 26 2020 :  12:28:29 PM

It's been a while since I've looked at Maps, plus there's two different eastbound lines. One up North going out of Belleville, which also went to Nebraska, and one farther south going out of Concordia. I believe the line going out of Concordia was the one going to Clyde, KS. The river bridge at Clyde I believe was removed after the flooding, likely due to damage. There used to be tracks from Clyde to Agenda, KS and onward. My parents remember a train derailment in Agenda Kansas during that wet year. Ground was wet, the tracks split and put a locomotive on the ground. Those old tracks didn't fare well that year, and the Kyle didn't have the money to fix them...

Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 26 2020 :  7:48:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice locos this week, all. Love that MINT Rock Island C430 - congrats!

My LOTW offering is the Tyco "The Milwaukee Route" E7!! Yep, I finally got it, and the chrome is in MINT condition - one of the first things worn off on these normally. Paid only $45 for this beauty, and it was well worth it. All it needs are 2 new horns, and this Milwaukee E7 will be perfect. I can't believe I finally got one of these, after 3+ years of searching!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - July 26 2020 :  9:33:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

CNR Steam...

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 26 2020 :  9:38:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm drooling. Between your Milwaukee E unit and mikes Hudson, aw, gawd. Some really beautiful lokies.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 26 2020 :  10:28:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto on that. That E unit looks great parked in front of
the Tyco Scrap Yard!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 27 2020 :  02:55:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
My LOTW is a Wrenn City of London I received from Ebay recently. It's an absolutely gorgeous loco and runs well for its age.For those not familiar, Wrenn (from the late 1960's thru the early 1990's) was basically England's equivalence of the Mantua revival from the late 70's onwards. Triang, on the other hand, was kind of the Tyco of Britain, in that they made cheap but fun model trains and toys (I have one of their RDC units they imported under the ATT name, which I've posted here a while ago. Great runners, all things considered!), and they bought out the old Hornby Dublo (basically Britain's equivalence of Mantua and I guess Lionel) lineup and absorbed it into Triang (eventually becoming Triang Hornby, and then just Hornby). Wrenn collaborated with Triang to sell the last Hornby Dublo stock and then continued production of them under the name "Triang Wrenn". Wrenn then bought themselves out of Triang's hands and set up their own separate operation, where they continued to make the old Hornby Dublo models, improving them and even making some new models (like their Royal Scots). My City of London was made sometime between 1974 and 1980, due to the fact that the metal wheels on the front and back bogies were not added until around 1974. Before that, those wheels were all plastic, just like the old Hornby Dublo models. The original casting for this thing, believe it or not, dates back to around 1939, when Hornby Dublo originally planned to release this locomotive type to the market (postponed due to WW2 breaking out). Production of the original Hornby Dublo loco didn't commence until as late as 1948, nearly 10 years later!So, if anyone thinks it looks a little toy-like and primitive by 1970's standards, that's why. It's almost the same as the model set to be released right around the time WW2 started.Anyhow, the thing I noticed about this old girl right off the bat was the superb build quality of all of the components, as well as swapping out and maintaining parts being incredibly easy for such an old fashioned loco. I would say the old all metal Mantua locos from the 1950's were better overall (as they had the world renowned Pittman motors and they had more pickups than this old girl does), but these old girls are definitely to be reckoned with. As the expression goes, they don't build them like they used to.Note: most of these pictures (except for the last one showing it on my shelf) are from the Ebay listing for this loco I received. Didn't feel like going all the way downstairs to grab the box to take a quick photo or two of it.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 27 2020 03:15:43 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 27 2020 :  08:49:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
"Tyco scrap yard!" does look like it, doesn't it!

Kovacaste, some real nice British steam there. Stick around more! You have a unique fleet I want to see more of!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2020 :  1:14:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very nice LMS Coronation Class loco
the real City of London was scrapped in Dec 1964
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 27 2020 :  5:27:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist

Kovacaste, some real nice British steam there. Stick around more! You have a unique fleet I want to see more of!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 27 2020 :  08:49:58 AM
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I've got stuff from all over the world from different time periods. I even have some H0 stuff from the Eastern Bloc, actually. I love seeing how different manufacturers from around the world make their trains. I'll try to post more often, just keep getting sidetracked with college and work.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 27 2020 5:34:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 27 2020 :  5:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - July 25 2020 :  10:25:10 PM

Well ben how does it compare to a tyco/mantua 4-4-0 general. smaller, larger,?
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 27 2020 :  6:51:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - July 25 2020 :  10:25:10 PM

Well ben how does it compare to a tyco/mantua 4-4-0 general. smaller, larger,?
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - July 27 2020 :  5:42:59 PM

smaller by a long shot
I think its TT cause cause its bigger than a N scale loco
But would be fun to have a HO one done up like this

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 28 2020 :  08:54:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

Oh yeah, I've got stuff from all over the world from different time periods. I even have some H0 stuff from the Eastern Bloc, actually. I love seeing how different manufacturers from around the world make their trains. I'll try to post more often, just keep getting sidetracked with college and work.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 27 2020 :  5:27:25 PM

[/quote]

Eastern Bloc? What's that? Darn school!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2020 :  12:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 28 2020 :  3:45:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 27 2020 :  5:27:25 PM

Eastern Bloc? What's that? Darn school!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 28 2020 :  08:54:21 AM

[/quote]Eastern Europe during the Cold War. The Soviet Union and its puppet states. The stuff from that region in that era which I have are mostly from East Germany.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2020 :  7:47:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I read somewhere once that model railroading was officially
encouraged by the East German State, largely to distract
citizens how dismal things were.

I traveled a little bit in the Soviet Union back in '64 under
a Canadian passport. I was just a little tyke, but I have
distinct memories of what a grim, gray and threadbare
place it was.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 29 2020 :  08:42:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

place it was.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 28 2020 :  7:47:42 PM

Ah, I see. I probably should have known that!

Wow, chops! You have been all over the world!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2020 :  9:53:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Some odd places, Dad had some eccentric tastes in
travel.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 29 2020 :  11:59:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

place it was.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 28 2020 :  7:47:42 PM

Not surprised about the first and second part, considering the countries we're talking about.Seriously, though, the Soviet Union back in the 60's, based on the photos I've seen, looked very grim and run down. There's all these brand new apartment complexes right next to run down old cottages surrounded by old dirt roads with horse drawn wagons and 1960's looking cars driving alongside each other on the road. Absolutely bizarre. Looks almost like a completely different world from, say, anywhere in places like France, England, the US, etc.With my East German model trains, I definitely notice that dichotomy. There's a combination of modern and primitive manufacturing methods as well as the lack of many refinements you'd expect here in the west. Even today, Eastern Europe is very much like this, from what I can tell.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 29 2020 11:59:44 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 30 2020 :  1:33:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
The Soviet union had some of the coolest and most powerful locomotives. That's what sparks my interest

Chops, your dad sounded like a fun guy!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 30 2020 :  1:59:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
The Soviet union had some of the coolest and most powerful locomotives. That's what sparks my interest

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 30 2020 :  1:33:27 PM

Yeah, they did. I have an old East German made model of an M62 diesel locomotive, and it looks, to put it very simply, extremely Russian.

-Steve

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 30 2020 :  7:53:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 30 2020 :  1:33:27 PM

Yeah, they did. I have an old East German made model of an M62 diesel locomotive, and it looks, to put it very simply, extremely Russian.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - July 30 2020 :  1:59:02 PM

I remember that one! I want to get a class O 0-8-0 kit from shapeways and detail, motorize, and paint it.
  Previous Topic: LOTW August 2, 2020 - August 8, 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 19 to 25, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000