Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW July 19 to 25, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW July 26 to August 1 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 12, 2020 - July 18, 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  04:47:38 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

An AHM Camel Back. At various points it was DCC'd, lettered for N de M, now
will find new life hauling the circus train.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 19 2020 :  08:01:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A Marx made in the USA classic Santa Fe War Bonnet F2A.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 19 2020 08:03:40 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 19 2020 :  08:54:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Got any other pics of your EX- NdeM equipment?

The almost complete SP C Class consolidation. The cab, tender, number boards, and headlight are from Brian's roundhouse Atlantic. So we'll say this was some sort of hasty repair job. The workmen had to swap parts from an old Atlantic for this loco.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 19 2020 09:08:51 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - July 19 2020 :  5:02:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist

My LOTW will be my birthday present from last week. Here's my like new Super Spirit of '76 C630. This unit looks extremely nice with my other Spirit of '76 units. I'm sure happy with it.

Aaron Anderson
Edited by - A-A-RON on July 19 2020 5:05:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2020 :  7:19:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice locomotives this week so far, guys! A-A-ron, that yellow horn atop your Spirit of '76 C630 is killer - I wonder if yours is an older variant, because mine has the black horn set....

My LOTW is my 2nd (*Sharkmaster evil laugh*) diecast Tyco/Mantua Yellow&Red "Pennant" Sharknose locomotive. I got this after the seller sent me an offer of $26 for watching it for over a week, so I knew I had to accept. I did replace the magnet with new neodymium one, but still this Shark won't budge. Already tore down the truck assembly and nothing is making the gears get stuck, rather, the motor seizes at times. My undecorated Shark had this same problem, and after fiddling with it for a while, my Dad eventually got it to work. That was over 2 years ago, so remembering what he tried might help me here. More info to come.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  7:56:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very nice, look at those old style trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - July 19 2020 :  8:38:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist

Spot on RP. It's a very early powertorque in a Mantua shell. I love this unit, but not the drivetrain. It runs very sluggishly even after oiling, which is a problem for two reasons. For one, the motor cover is held on by tabs made of Tyco Instasnap Plastic. For two the paint is WHAM-O-DYNED. It's completely hairline cracked. Fixing it looks to be too much like disarming a bomb. One mistake and Uh-Oh. For what I overpayed, it's gonna live out its days as a display piece. And I'm fine with that.

I saw that metal shark as well. It looked like a very good deal, but I already have my two sharks. It's looks really good on your layout, and best of luck with getting the motor going. From the pictures those wheels look pretty bad. With Tycos Brown on Brass don't move too fast. I'd check it with a multimeter, but I reccomend taking a very light grit sandpaper and grinding the wheels until they're shiny. I don't think it's getting power to the motor through that corrosion, and it has to be completely removed.

Edited by - A-A-RON on July 19 2020 9:26:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - July 19 2020 :  9:17:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
quote:

Spot on RP. It's a very early powertorque in a Mantua shell. I love this unit, but not the drivetrain. It runs very sluggishly even after oiling, which is a problem for two reasons. For one, the motor cover is held on by tabs made of Tyco Instasnap Plastic. For two the paint is WHAM-O-DYNED. It's completely hairline cracked. Fixing looks to be too much like disarming a bomb. One mistake and Uh-Oh. For what I overpayed, it's gonna live out its days as a display piece. And I'm fine with that.

That's an early single screw 'torque with the clip-on coupler boxes.
I have a few of those power trucks in my inventory that still run.
I saw that metal shark as well. It looked like a very good deal, but I already have my two sharks. It's looks really nice on your layout.

Originally posted by A-A-RON - July 19 2020 :  8:38:27 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2020 :  10:30:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow - it is indeed the early PT version. Cool!

Yeah, the metal Shark is a project that I'll return to. The brass contact wheels do need a cleaning, which I'll definitely get to.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  10:53:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Beautiful unit, ARon. As to the PT motor, all we can is BLARX.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 20 2020 :  12:05:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That metal shark is a beauty. I've always admired the old metal shark/streamliner set and the Talgo streamliner. Two things I've yet to get a hold of. One day...
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 20 2020 :  08:59:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
BLARX is right indeed. Some beautiful locomotives burdened by the dreaded PT. The paint is in much nicer shape on that shark, RP. Looks great!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - July 20 2020 :  10:31:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
I've got at least seven Tyco Powertorque locos in service that run beautifully. One is a custom painted N&W 630 with dash magnets that pulls hard. Four of them are NYC Sharks that run as powered pairs.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 21 2020 :  7:37:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys - appreciate the comments regarding the metal shark. I really love the scheme too - Tyco did do a good job with it, even though it is obviously fantasy. I have yet to see this variant of the diecast Sharknose With the "Tyco" decal on the side of the locomotive.

Time Warp does have a point - the PowerTorque motor, in design, is a very powerful motor, but it was a little ahead of its time. Thus, the pinion gear shaft was not manufactured well enough, and yes, sometimes the motors would burn out. I've also had satisfactory experiences with most PT's, but only after TLC, traction tires, and lube. What I like the most about Tyco's PowerTorque motor design is the easy accessibility for maintenance. Literally all you have to do is snap out the truck from the shell, and you have full access to lubricate the gears and also replace couplers, etc. I have yet to find a locomotive from any other model train manufacturer that made such an easy to maintenance motor/truck assembly.

Gotta give the PT design some love.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 22 2020 :  09:17:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Some, just some!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 22 2020 :  10:45:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Some, just some!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 22 2020 :  09:17:29 AM

BLARX!
  Previous Topic: LOTW July 26 to August 1 2020 Topic Next Topic: LOTW July 12, 2020 - July 18, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000