Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My O Scale Urban Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Layout update July 2020 Topic Next Topic: Super Fly 2: Henley Lock Down  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 14 2020 :  5:15:14 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Hello All..

Many of you are well aware of my activities with HO scale model railroading, what you may not know is that for the past 12 years I have also been dabbling in Hi-Rail O scale as well. I haven't written or posted anything about my O scale endeavors because I felt it fell outside of this forums scope, but on the eve of my O scale layout's dismantling I feel that this is as good a forum as any to document my Urban Railroad for posterity on the internet.

Theme

The layout features a fictitious urban area during the late 1960's. I wanted the railroad to look like it was running through a part of town that is definitely not "family friendly". Urban decay, smog, vandalism, and petty crime are the order of the day and any business establishments left in the neighborhood provide the kinds of goods and services that would not be welcome on main street.

Infrastructure

Railroad infrastructure includes a locomotive servicing facility, a commuter station, multiple interlocking towers, bridges, and a partially completed working signal system.

Track Plan

The layout's track plan includes two reversing loops, an elevated High Line, a three track yard, one passing siding, and two railroad crossings at grade. The layout was originally laid with MTH Real Tracks which I soon replaced with Atlas O scale switches and flex track.

Contol l

The trains can be operated using Lionel's TMCC command control system or by conventional 3-rail using electronic reversing units inside each of the locomotives. Turnouts and electrical blocks are controlled by analog toggle switches on control panels located at multiple locations around the layout.

Bench Work

The layout is 16 feet long by eight feet wide "table" composed of four 4x8 stand alone tables bolted together. One side is pushed up against the back wall decorated with a backdrop. Three 2 foot diameter access holes provide access to the trains, track, and scenery that can't be reached from the perimeter of the layout.

Rolling Stock

Most of my locomotives are Lionel products, but I also have an MTH Union Pacific Big Boy and an Atlas GP 9. Cars were made by Intermountain, Weaver, Lionel, Walthers, Atlas, MTH and others. As I stated earlier I was originally aiming for a late 1960's look for this layout. However I found a few nice steam locomotives that I could not resist adding to my roster. The UP Big Boy for example was an impulse purchase because it was being sold half off the listed price because it came in a damaged box.

Signals

One of the interlockings has fully functional automatic signals all controlled by track circuits tripping banks of electro-magnetic relays. The signals will display "proceed" indications only when the switches are lined properly and the track ahead is not occupied.

Buildings

Buildings on this layout were produced by multiple manufactures, Ameritown, Walthers, Atlas, Downtown Deco, and MTH account for most of them. A couple buildings are kitbashes or completely scratch built.

Videos

Below are some videos of my O scale Urban Layout in action!!!!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on July 15 2020 11:02:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 14 2020 :  5:23:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hello, long time since I've seen any O scale on here, and
what a surprise! The videography is outstanding, and
that helper unit is remarkable, I've not seen that done
since maybe seeing the San Diego Train Club a few
decades ago.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  7:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Awesome! Sometimes it is refreshing to explore a completely different avenue of the hobby. Your layout replicates what you are trying to replicate very well! It's so good, just by looking at it I'm scared I might get robbed!

Looks like the 0-8-0 blew a traction tire! Uh oh!

I look forward to more plugger rebuilds!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 14 2020 7:44:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 14 2020 :  9:00:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice Scott. I also enjoy some O scale equipment.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5878  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:16:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent modeling on this layout, and a fine attention to detail, I must say. Also, an interesting perspective on modeling...to say the least. Well done!

Having built layouts in both HO-Scale and O-Scale, which is better, in your eyes, and why? Is it the bigger the better, or is it more a matter of small details?

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - July 15 2020 :  09:21:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Excellent on all counts. If this is what you do when you 'dabble' can only imagine what you could create when you get serious!
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 15 2020 :  12:26:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Having built layouts in both HO-Scale and O-Scale, which is better, in your eyes, and why? Is it the bigger the better, or is it more a matter of small details?

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 14 2020 :  10:16:24 PM

That's not an easy question to answer, both scales have their attributes, here are my observations about O scale in this regard...

The "Pros" of Three Rail O Scale

First due to their sheer size, O scale equipment has enough weight and mass to feel like full size railroad equipment. An O scale train of modest length requires a certain amount of concentration to operate, especially in you have steep grades and sharp curves on your layout.

Second, due to simple size, parts are much easier to handle. If you are into scratch building or super detailing, this is a big selling point.

Third, three rail electrical systems are much easier to wire and operate. Reverse loops for example require no special wiring or operating requirements. Signals systems are also easy to install because one of the outside running rails can be used to create a block occupancy circuit, just like how prototype railroad signals work.

The "Cons" of Three Rail O Scale

The biggest drawback to O scale is just the sheer amount of space it consumes. An O scale locomotive, building, layout, etc. takes up nearly 8 times the volume of space as its HO scale counterpart. If you like to collect locomotives and cars like I do, layout and storage space quickly become an issue.

Speaking of space, three rail O Scale has a special trick up its sleeve when it comes to layout construction, most models are designed to negotiate extraordinarily tight curves. This is useful if you don't have a basketball court sized space to build a layout, tight curves are a necessity if you want a layout with a complex track plan that will fit inside a typical house. The problem with this for me is that it leads to compromises in scale accuracy for locomotives and rolling stock. Even worse, the realism that is gained by the sheer size of O scale is negated by the appearance of these big trains negotiating "toy-like" tight turns.

Three rail O scale couplers are another pet peeve of mine, HO scale couplers will mate with gentle contact, the Lionel style knuckle couplers on the other hand need to be rammed together to get them to work.

I will give this question more thought, if I think of anything more I will add it to this list.

Edited by - Srenchin on July 15 2020 12:39:17 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 15 2020 :  12:55:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Hello, long time since I've seen any O scale on here, and
what a surprise! The videography is outstanding, and
that helper unit is remarkable, I've not seen that done
since maybe seeing the San Diego Train Club a few
decades ago.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 14 2020 :  5:23:22 PM

You know, shoving trains up the hill with a second locomotive reminds me a lot of what real railroading is like. It's interesting how one loco at the head end of the train can barely make it three feet up the hill, but add a shover at the rear and that train marches right up to the summit.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 15 2020 :  1:23:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That is a beautiful layout. I felt like I was watching the videos in slow motion. I'm not used to seeing O scale at prototypical speeds. LOL
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 15 2020 :  2:32:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
That is a beautiful layout. I felt like I was watching the videos in slow motion. I'm not used to seeing O scale at prototypical speeds. LOL

Originally posted by DaCheez - July 15 2020 :  1:23:04 PM

Honestly though!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 15 2020 :  2:39:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by DaCheez - July 15 2020 :  1:23:04 PM

Ah yes, you are referring to "Lionel Speed" which is somewhere between Light Speed and Ludicrous Speed.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 15 2020 :  3:00:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 15 2020 :  3:41:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting pros and cons. I didn't even think about the fact that because O-Scale is much larger than HO, it is easier to work on and to build structures. Once again, incredible layout!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 15 2020 :  7:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very cool & I want the Sanford & Son sign!

oh on a side note
traffic lights go across the street from each other in USA
need to find 4 of those in HO scale hehe

& yay for the Athern beer car!
thats rare as is finding those straight beer/soda pop cans too!

Edited by - microbusss on July 15 2020 7:01:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dr. John
Switcher

GMOAvatar

Posted - July 18 2020 :  3:40:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dr. John to Buddylist
Fantastic looking layout!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: January 02 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 19 2020 :  12:41:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
very cool & I want the Sanford & Son sign!

oh on a side note
traffic lights go across the street from each other in USA
need to find 4 of those in HO scale hehe

& yay for the Athern beer car!
thats rare as is finding those straight beer/soda pop cans too!

Originally posted by microbusss - July 15 2020 :  7:00:22 PM

Actually the beer tank car is a Walthers kit, and yes they are cool! The kit works best with steel cans which are really hard to find.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  01:12:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
All I can say is WOW.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 19 2020 :  10:13:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Actually the beer tank car is a Walthers kit, and yes they are cool! The kit works best with steel cans which are really hard to find.
Originally posted by Srenchin - July 19 2020 :  12:41:00 AM

yeah & can be expensive cause they are very collectible
was part of Walther's Tongue-In-Cheek lineup
it includes Jimmy Carters peanut shaped passenger car Peanut One , JailBox boxcar (parody of RailBox) Oscar & Piker passenger cars, Impact Test Car, & beer/soda pop can car

I do want JailBox!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Layout update July 2020 Topic Next Topic: Super Fly 2: Henley Lock Down  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000