Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Tyco CN passenger coach
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sierra Ry. No. 3 HO Scale Drawings/ Sierra 3 proje Topic Next Topic: Last One...??? Amtrak MoW E60CP  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 26 2020 :  02:51:37 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Needed a third to complete my set, this Tyco Amtrak coach is getting a black
body, to be followed by a white window stripe and red CN decals, which will
closely mimic the original, and hard to find, Tyco CN coach.

Using the above as my template, I am making this Amfleet into a CN coach.

Whoops, per usual, I see now I have to paint the window area black and the
upper and lower panels white!!!

Edited by - Chops124 on April 26 2020 02:52:57 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 26 2020 :  09:09:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
That can happen, I've done it many times, where I confuse color placement!

Are you brush painting these?

Also, do I spy a 119 in the wild?

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 26 2020 11:55:48 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 26 2020 :  11:06:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
Whoops, per usual, I see now I have to paint the window area black and the
upper and lower panels white!!!

Mistake? What mistake? That's pre-shading like all the YouTube scale modelers do.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 26 2020 :  8:52:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now I gotta find my white paint. Yeah, it's brush. I find spray hard
to control. That's a Bachmann American in a puddle in the back
ground, after many yards of service it is/was being canabilized.
A Hornby OO 0-6-0 where I tried to apply traction tires and cannot
for love or money quarter the drivers back into place. Beyond that
is a coach from a Bachmann 1st gen set, was nice for about 3 hours,
then the crummy Chinese motor burned out. LaFayette, perhaps.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 26 2020 8:53:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 27 2020 :  08:11:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yep, that's a Lafayette coach. I finally got one myself. The lafayette uses the same motor as the old Jupiter, maybe you could do a transplant....

Spray cans require masking. And it's not hard at all. (At least for me) And the masking for this coach would be incredibly easy. Lightest color first, so disassemble it, Spray white, then mask the white bottom and top, then spray black. Done! What problems are you having?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2020 :  12:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
No matter how tightly I mask it, there is always some leakage
Under the tape.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 27 2020 :  2:51:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Under the tape.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 27 2020 :  12:17:12 PM

hmm, what kind of tape are you using? Unless it's the name brand 3M tape, It's going to fail. I used to use the off - brand stuff. Darn tape wouldn't stick well enough. Screwed up a Mantua shifter that way. Other then that, as long as you burnish the edges well, it shouldn't leak. Of course, It does happen, and if there's only a little leak, it's no biggie to touch up with a brush. As I said, since the masking for this coach is easy, why not use it as a test bed? Maybe give it another try?

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 27 2020 :  5:01:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Given the surface corrugation and the need to have tape lie flat at the edges, I'd spray the black window band, mask that smooth surface, then spray the white corrugated panels above and below it.
Would do that whether airbrush or spray can. Actually, would even do that whether spray or hairy stick was used for paint application.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2020 :  7:28:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, I use this blue carpenter stuff, I just checked, is 3M.
Because my only white paint came in a spray can, I
doggedly applied it and gave quick, gentle applications,
and it leaked a little bit, but not too, too badly, as on
previous excursions. Covering up just the name plate
("COACH") I deemed to much aggravation, so I
sprayed a little white into a clean bottle cap and
started to brush it on...very quickly it would
dissolve the black underneath and turn gray. Let it
dry overnight, will give it another coat of white. Mucho
worko. The Champ decals I gave a light spray of
gloss over coat, per directions, to help prevent
disintegration.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2020 :  7:59:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This might be crazy, but I think maybe I will go back to the off
list use of doing the window panel in white, black all over. A
skunk stripe, as the CN noodles will show up easier and be
a lot more easy to apply upon the flat panel...decisions,
decisions...

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 27 2020 :  8:43:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow, that looks great!

I'd leave it. You are asking for trouble by changing it. Voice of numerous experiences!!

Yeah, that didnt leak as bad. And another white coat will really make it pop.

I like to burnish my masking tape with a toothpick, it helps

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 27 2020 :  9:57:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
U prolly right, might be a one way ticket from frying pan to the fire.
Trouble is, my experience with these vintage Champ decals have
made a Chump out of me before. The are old, crumble easily.
Thinking that if I try to lay them out on the corrugation they
might turn into little flakes. Next time, I will use tooth pick, having
tried everything else in my arsenal.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 27 2020 :  10:10:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/209776/2297875.aspx

The Microscale Treatment I have heard of before...

Mike

Edited by - Mike on April 27 2020 10:35:27 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 28 2020 :  07:58:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yeah, and if you change the panels, it won't match the others.

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 28 2020 :  3:49:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
quote:
U prolly right, might be a one way ticket from frying pan to the fire.
Trouble is, my experience with these vintage Champ decals have
made a Chump out of me before. The are old, crumble easily.
Thinking that if I try to lay them out on the corrugation they
might turn into little flakes. Next time, I will use tooth pick, having
tried everything else in my arsenal.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 27 2020 :  9:57:15 PM

Old decals are like new if you just give them a coat of Microscale Decal Film. Not expensive, and worth every penny - that little bottle will last years. Even newer Microscale decals need it, their quality has gone way downhill.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 28 2020 :  4:44:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I did not know that, thanks for the tip.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 28 2020 :  9:20:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Regarding the tape, I'm under the impression the blue tape is less sticky than others. I always use the name brand green tape. It comes in a special plastic storage container to keep dirt and debris off the edges while in storage, and claims "PAINT BLOCK TECHNOLOGY", or something equally cheezy. Burnish the edges multiple times with a screwdriver or toothpick.

If you still get leaks, try applying a light coat of the base colour after applying the tape, but before the second colour. For instance, on the CN car you would paint the whole car white, mask off the black stripes, spray another thin coat of white (to fill any gaps in the tape), then spray your black and remove the tape while the paint is still wet.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 28 2020 :  9:52:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
They way I'd do it is strip all of the paint off, spray the whole thing black, them mask off a spray the white panels on. That way you don't have layers of paint on the body and they new paint will stick better. Also that green tape DaCheez suggests is great. I believe it's Green Frog brand.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 29 2020 :  08:31:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Interesting, I've never heard of Green Frog. The 3M Blue Tape works fine for me. And contrary to BNSFIA's statement, I thought lightest colors are first. But In this case, I suppose you would spray black first as there is less to mask.

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - April 29 2020 :  10:24:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting, I've never heard of Green Frog. The 3M Blue Tape works fine for me. And contrary to BNSFIA's statement, I thought lightest colors are first. But In this case, I suppose you would spray black first as there is less to mask.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - April 29 2020 :  08:31:53 AM

I would normally go white first as well, but if your white paint has good opacity in one or two coats it could work out OK. No brush paints, though, that is asking for problems.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 29 2020 :  3:32:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Useful, thanks.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 29 2020 :  7:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - April 29 2020 :  08:31:53 AM

I would normally go white first as well, but if your white paint has good opacity in one or two coats it could work out OK. No brush paints, though, that is asking for problems.

Originally posted by Crown Vic - April 29 2020 :  10:24:37 AM

That just about sums it up!

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - April 29 2020 :  8:14:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
quote:
Under the tape.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 27 2020 :  12:17:12 PM

Try using the 3m Blue Painters tape. Sometimes it helps to use your thumbnail to press down the edge of the tape. I paint the line a second time. If it was black on top yellow on the bottom. I would re-tape it over the yellow and give it a coat of black again. I also use a magnifying light to get a better view of where the tape cover the color. Using an Airbrush makes a big difference.

Edited by - AF Kid on April 29 2020 8:15:54 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 30 2020 :  09:51:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Interesting project Jeff. Brings back memories from your life in Canada.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5901  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 03 2020 :  03:22:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, after some very thoughtful advice, I decided to take the plunge and
repaint it with a single skunk stripe across the window panel. This allowed
me to highlight the CN wet noodle better. I figured if worse came to worse
I could strip it down. Here it is fresh from the paint shop, little shiny in some
places as it is yet wet. I used a black Sharpie pen to touch up the black over run.

On a whim, I painted the trucks silver to stand them out from the all black
coach body.

Thank you for all the great information. I did spray it with gloss coat, and it
held together very well, even though the backing paper had turned yellow, a
bad sign of age and fragility.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 03 2020 :  08:14:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Ooooh, that does look good!

Strange tip: sealing yellowed decals in a plastic bag in a room with no humidity facing the sun for a week will reverse the effect. The longer it's in the sun, the clearer they will get!

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - May 03 2020 :  09:59:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
I like the silver trucks. :)
  Previous Topic: Sierra Ry. No. 3 HO Scale Drawings/ Sierra 3 proje Topic Next Topic: Last One...??? Amtrak MoW E60CP  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000