Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Authentic Chili Verde (Green Chile Stew)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: BigEngines86 Topic Next Topic: Not an event, sorry  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 18 2020 :  7:40:17 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Got this from my Mexican mother-in-law, very popular here in Armodilloville.

Here in El Paso Land, green chile is quite common, and we buy the stuff by the
bushel that is pre-roasted. The roasting is nice as it imparts a delicious savory
flavor, while toasting off the outer skin, which is, while not poisonous, has sort
of a woody, fibrous texture.

So, if you cannot get them pre-roasted, you can blast them with a blow torch,
that works, bake them in the oven until dark brown/ black skinned and bubbly,
or buy the frozen green chilis in the frozen section, which are pretty good. One
container will do, about a pound. The are stripped of skin, ready to go in the pot.

Cube about a pound and a half of sirloin in a tablespoon of cooking oil of choice,
a dash of salt, until well browned. Set aside. Take 7 Russet potatoes, cubed, along
with one large white onion, diced, two or three cloves of garlic minced, fry that up,
until onions are turning luscent, golden. Potatoes might have a little browning- perfect.

Throw everything into a pot large enough to hold it. Add a little water to the frying pan
and pour those drippings into the meat/potato/onion/garlic mix. Add the chilis, chopped,
into that mix, and add the fry water and additional water, as needed, to just cover
the top of the mix, bring to a boil, lower to a slow simmer for about 20 minutes, done.

Delicious simple stew brimming with vitamins and nutrients. Supermarket frozen chilis
usually pretty mild.

Edited by - Chops124 on April 18 2020 7:43:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 18 2020 :  8:52:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
My mother makes the best chili. Maybe we will have to try this recipie! A question that may or may not be stupid, are the green chilis spicy? I like spicy....

Thank you for sharing!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 18 2020 :  10:21:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
In the San Louis Valley of Colorado there's some stuff they call green chili. It's a sauce on enchiladas. It acts as a kind of hypergolic rocket fuel, igniting when it comes in contact with saliva. Then, it burns your insides out leaving you a completely hollow shell and obliterating all of the flavor in the rest of the enchilada. There's also red chili. It's exactly the same except for the color.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 19 2020 :  02:31:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Blax, the frozen prepared chili is usually fairly tame, but has a
full chili flavor. The toasted stuff, you can buy and toast your
own California chili, this sheds off the outer skin which is
what you want, end game.

If you get fresh California chili and roast it, it is pretty much
a game of spin the bottle. You might get lit up, you might
get something fairly tame. If you really want to blister your
tongue, you can add a couple of jalapenos- the ones with little
light lines upon it are typically the most fierce. Just roast off
the skin as you would the bigger chili pepper of the "California" or
"long green chili."

Scss. I feel your pain. At my age playing chicken with Scoville
Heat Units is a thing of the past. The sensation of eating
burning napalm is no longer something I wish to tempt.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 19 2020 :  03:17:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Scss. I feel your pain. At my age playing chicken with Scoville
Heat Units is a thing of the past. The sensation of eating
burning napalm is no longer something I wish to tempt.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 19 2020 :  02:31:18 AM

[/quote]

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: BigEngines86 Topic Next Topic: Not an event, sorry  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000