Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 The Blaxland Backshops Episode One Preview
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Not an event, sorry Topic Next Topic: Who Wants To Live Here?  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 14 2020 :  1:33:54 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Here's an excerpt from the script I have typed for episode one of "The Blaxland Backshops" Which will cover the build and modification process of the Locomotives of The Blaxland Ridge. The first episode will cover Hunter, the 0-4-0 Booster tank.

I will post other bits of the other scripts if I feel like you all might be interested. I will also put the link to the finished video here when it is finished.

Hunter is an 0-4-0 Side – Tank type steam locomotive. While this type of locomotive never existed in real life, he bears a resemblance to the Tank Engines built by H.K. Porter. This model has been around since it’s debut in 1953. The first edition of this model retailed for $9.95, featured an all die – cast shell, with no steps under the cab, hook and loop couplers, and a valve gear kit for an extra $2.95. In 1959, the Booster now has a brother, the Little Six, which retains the same die – cast shell tooling as the Booster, but now totes an extra driver situated beneath the cab.

Due to the gap in catalogs between 1960 and 1980, It is uncertain if any other changes were made during this 20-year gap. In the 1970s, the model now features Horn – Hook couplers, and some steps beneath the cab doors. As well as appearing under the AHM, Lima, and Marx names using the same tooling for the shell, but in plastic, therefore having more detail. The model now comes in ready to run paint schemes. The booster is along for the ride until 1987, when the little six becomes the only variation of the Mantua tank locomotive available, and then the Booster and Little Six finally meet their end, in 1989, which is the last year they are cataloged.

The mantua line then disappears in 2001, when the company files for bankruptcy. Many say the reason behind this, is that Mantua could not keep up, despite the new tooling changes they were making, to compete with the new, modern HO scale market.

When Model Power picks up the Mantua line, amongst the offerings of other mantua classics locomotives, the Booster makes a return as the “Shifter”. However, the shell tooling is more similar to that of the older plastic shell tooling from AHM and Lima in the 1970s.

Later on, the shifter gets a makeover, with improved tooling, and a directional headlight. This new “Shifter Deluxe” shares a family look with Model Power’s Shifter with tender. This Booster/Shifter stays with Model Power until their Demise, in 2004, when they file for bankruptcy.

Then, MRC acquires some of the molds from model power, and begins to produce the Mantua classics line, as well as the Shifter once more. Now, the Shifter is offered as a remote controlled DCC locomotive that uses a Loco Genie Remote control. This truly is the final hurrah for the Mantua shifter, as MRC then quit production of all locomotives and cars to focus solely on making accessories and equipment for HO scale.

The Shifter/Booster then remains a popular starter locomotive through 3rd party websites, and still does today, until 2018, when Lionel announces that they have purchased the Model Power/ Mantua line as part of their jump back into HO scale. They also announce that they will be using Mantua and Model power molds. The recent Mini Catalog for HO scale confirms this, with a Pure – Mantua Mikado gracing the pages.

However, there is no sign of the Booster/ Shifter.

Not yet.

An eagle eye such as mine will notice the background art of this mini – catalog. If you look closely, you can make out the lines of an F-7, and:

The Shifter/ Booster!

The legacy will continue with Lionel, but we will have to wait and see.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 14 2020 :  2:51:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'm interested. That you can raise that 10 wheeler
from the grave is particularly interesting!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 14 2020 :  5:16:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I'm interested. That you can raise that 10 wheeler
from the grave is particularly interesting!

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 14 2020 :  2:51:53 PM

*Cackles like a mad scientist*

I'm putting together the video now... There is still a lot more to do, but the Voiceovers are complete!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 14 2020 :  7:13:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Anybody Got any Old Mantua footage, specifically of the booster?

Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Not an event, sorry Topic Next Topic: Who Wants To Live Here?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000