Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 25 ]  [ Total: 25 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Mantua kitbashing
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: NJ Transit Hustler.... CV19 Build Topic Next Topic: Stripping Paint off Plastic  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 03 2020 :  5:03:27 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Not sure if I should have put this in the mantua thread, but show off any kitbashes, superdetailings, or anything that changes the look of any mantua/tyco locomotive from its stock appearance.

I'm putting together Blaxland #5, a Mantua/Tyco Shifter II with some modifications, and was hoping to gain some more inspiration from seeing yours.

Also I've got a question. I'm replacing that awful high headlight reading/ great northern smokebox door setup, and I was wondering who makes a smoke box door that is good replacement for this?
I was just going to peruse the detail parts bin at Brian's next time I go, but would like to get a vague idea of what maker and diameter I should look out for. Obviously it's going to be a brass smokebox door from like cal scale, kemtron, etc.
Thanks!

Let's see those Mantuas!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 03 2020 5:04:49 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - April 04 2020 :  1:29:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
Here is what I did with the Big Six. I cut off one of the domes and all of the details, including the headlight. I also used an MDC Roundhouse tender. Basically, I am try to turn it into a Southern A-7?
Regards, Vic B

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - April 04 2020 :  1:34:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
Oh, I also added Valve gear, installed an NWSL gearbox and a can motor.

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 04 2020 :  4:08:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
That's going to be a nice project. Big boiler on small drivers sure make it look a chunky brute.
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 04 2020 :  4:48:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Here's a different sort of Mantua 0-6-0T. The usual one, which I haven't seen anywhere available, anyway, has an unusual wheel spacing. It appears to be just an 0-4-0T with another pair of drivers tacked on the end. I wanted the more even spacing of the Big Six, so I modified a Big Six chassis to fit the shell of the 0-4-0T:

You can see the closely spaced drivers. Additionally, some details have been added:
- On the steam dome there are pop valves and a whistle.
- The bell has been replaced with one with a frame.
- The hand rails on the smoke box are separately applied.
- Filler hatches for water and fuel oil have handles to open them.
- An air compressor is added to the side of the smoke box.
- Couplers have uncoupling levers.

The usual tank engines have the rear pilot beam, pilot and coupler on the frame. Of course, the Big Six had those on the tender, so I added them to the body of the engine, in this case.

Steps on the front of the water tank are my addition. You have to get up there to fill the water, somehow.

Compressed air tanks under the water tank hide the motor and gears.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on April 04 2020 4:51:25 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 04 2020 :  5:28:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow! Those look great!!

Bitlerisvj, I also want to make an A - 7. Keep me posted. I was thinking of making mine out of the bachmann 0 6 0.

While working on #5 today, the river that attaches the side rod to the cross head snapped and broke. I'm sure I can just get another one, but is there a way to fix this?

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 04 2020 5:28:39 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 04 2020 :  5:39:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Bitlerisvj, also, got any ho scale drawings for that A - 7?

I swear, that's such a coincidence, that I was going to make an A - 7, and that it's not a popular type, and then hers on that's a WIP!

I'm going to do mine as M&NF #12

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 04 2020 5:39:34 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - April 05 2020 :  2:08:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
Here is a drawing I found on line.
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/steam/loco_diagram/26.jpg
And here is a whole bunch of photos of Southern switchers, including lots of A-7's
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/steam/switchers/steam_switchers.html
Regarding a proken rivet, you might be able to use a small bank pin or a piece of .020 brass rod and make one up in a pinch.
The Mantua Big Six can be used as a basis for the A-7 look a like, but there are some differences. The driver spacing isn't quite right. The cab isn't right either, but I am in the process of fabricating a more correct cab. We will see how that works out. The biggest difference and I really don't plan on addressing it is the slide valve cylinder heads. I like the waelschart valve gear, so will create a story that this one was update, VBG!
I am pretty much using 1742 as a model for mine.
Regards, Vic B.

Vic Bitleris

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 08 2020 :  8:45:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Cool, cool, thank you!

Yes, those drivers and slide valves are something to be desired. Interested in seeing the fabricated cab.

Another question, I need a new smoke box door (boiler front thing) for the mantua 0-4-0. I've seen topics where people have replacement brass castings on there, and that's what I'm after. Does anybody know a good replacement?

I ended up slightly enlarging the hole on the side rod, and dropping one if those teeny bachmann coupler box screws in and securing it with some thread lock. It all works a ok but if it gets bumped I have a feeling it will come off. Shouldn't be a problem if handled carefully.

Bitlerisvj, also look around on here for a thread that was never finished on building "Folsom Prison #1" by user SCVR66. He was bashing it out of mantua parts, and used a steam chest which is correct for slide valves from the AHM 0-4-0 A-3.That may be something to consider.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on April 08 2020 8:54:22 PM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 11 2020 :  6:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Another Mantua kitbash I've got is a change to the Prairie.

The Mantua Prairie, as manufactured has the plastic shell that's also common to the Shifter and Big Six. To make up for the light weight, the Prairie has a rubber traction tire that's really just an O-ring with a round cross section. It makes the wheels sit a bit lopsided, affecting electrical pickup. The diecast body from the Big Six and the Shifter is interchangeable with the plastic one, so I like to put that on the Prairie and then substitute a driver set without the traction tire. Traction is still pretty good, and electrical pickup is much better.

Detail is a little sparser on the diecast shell, so I add details like a bell with a frame and pop valves and a whistle on the dome. I drill out the headlight housing and add a light bulb and drill a hole for the light bulb wires into the shell. Additionally, the pilot and the tender's pilot beam get uncoupling levers.

Additional traction can be gained by removing the springs from the pilot and trailing trucks. These track pretty well by their own weight. I usually put better magnets in the motor which can lift the rear truck off the tracks, so I trim a few turns off of the trailing truck spring and put that back in place. I don't want the truck to lift weight off of the drivers, but a little spring is needed to fight the magnet.

One caution is in order about the diecast boilers. Before the Big Six came out, the Shifter had the hooks that hold down the back of the boiler casting on the front of the firebox ash pan. See yellow arrow:

Later, when the Big Six came along, that hook location interfered with the third driver pair, and the casting was changed to move the hook back where you see the red X in the picture. A really old diecast boiler might not fit the frame of the Prairie or the Big Six. Also a really old Shifter frame will not take the plastic boiler nor the newer diecast one. Here's the newer diecast boiler hooked onto the Prairie frame:

I have several of these, since the layout can use two or three at a time, and I've stockpiled some extras. The makings are getting less and less common at the swap meets, so I want to have extras in case I break some or wear them out.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 11 2020 :  8:06:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
What a beauty, and nice walkthrough too. If I ever do one like this I'll keep these tips in mind.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 08 2020 :  8:31:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Anybody got any more mantua bashes to share?

Blaxland #5 still awaits its smokebox door...

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - May 29 2020 :  1:21:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
After a bit of time, Brian finally put up my custom mantua 4-8-0 for sale! 10 days left, someone's already bid! One of a kind Custom "Blaxland" piece, all it needs is YOUR railroad on it! Bid now! You will be supporting the Blaxland Ridge railroad!

Auction Number ---> 313098513530

Previous Topic: NJ Transit Hustler.... CV19 Build Topic Next Topic: Stripping Paint off Plastic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000