Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Set of the week. (SOTW)
 SOTW March 29 to April 4, 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SOTW April 5th to April 11th 2020 Topic Next Topic: SOTW March 22 to 28, 2020  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 30 2020 :  02:07:17 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This old Triang Rocket has been testing my patience and ability to get it modified to
running condition for the last two weeks. Just when I think I've worked out the
last bug, another one crops up- in this case a solder joint failed, but I keep trying.

A complete Rocket set recently sold on eBay for $75, but I stayed out of it, as I
know the motor is of the most absurdly poor quality- makes a PT motor look good,
and the seller, when I asked, did not know if it ran or not, no returns accepted. Makes
me think someone trying to unload their junk on the unsuspecting.

I'd like to get Hornby's new release, and hope like heck it is with a half way decent
motor, though that may be too much to ask, and sell off the unneeded coaches, which
fetch a good price at auction, to offset the $200 price tag, OR I finally get this
thing to run. At some point you just got to call it a day.

This week alone I've had a Heljan, a restored Playcraft, and a Hornby all go out from
underneath me. The restored Playcraft, sad to lose it, was a very old piece. The other
two units came from that great big fat...not going to say it, not going to say it.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 30 2020 02:10:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - March 30 2020 :  5:40:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
This old Triang Rocket has been testing my patience and ability to get it modified to
running condition for the last two weeks. Just when I think I've worked out the
last bug, another one crops up- in this case a solder joint failed, but I keep trying.

A complete Rocket set recently sold on eBay for $75, but I stayed out of it, as I
know the motor is of the most absurdly poor quality- makes a PT motor look good,
and the seller, when I asked, did not know if it ran or not, no returns accepted. Makes
me think someone trying to unload their junk on the unsuspecting.

I'd like to get Hornby's new release, and hope like heck it is with a half way decent
motor, though that may be too much to ask, and sell off the unneeded coaches, which
fetch a good price at auction, to offset the $200 price tag, OR I finally get this
thing to run. At some point you just got to call it a day.

This week alone I've had a Heljan, a restored Playcraft, and a Hornby all go out from
underneath me. The restored Playcraft, sad to lose it, was a very old piece. The other
two units came from that great big fat...not going to say it, not going to say it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 30 2020 :  02:07:17 AM

Great big fat... what?

The new rocket does look nice. I'd give ya some smackers for that jupiter if you're trying to raise cash for a new rocket....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 30 2020 :  11:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, I like the June too much. I got the retooled one for
The museum display, and was very pleased in all regards,
Particularly its slow end and beautiful soUnd.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 01 2020 :  03:09:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Cool set, Chops. Your British layout is looking good!

Here is my all-metal set of Athearn RDCs circa the early 1950s. Frank, aka TopTrain, sold me a box of these a few years back. I got the second one 99% complete tonight, so here they are, in all their shining glory.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 01 2020 :  03:46:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mega cool, love Budd RDCs. Road them to Toronto and then from Bridgeport to Springfield. Those have rubber band or conventional drives?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 01 2020 :  08:42:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
When I read how you guys get your RDC's looking shiny, I was sold. Turns out my dad actually has some NVR - DULL so now I've gotta make A Blaxland RDC.

That gives me a new episode idea. Get a doodlebug and an RDC....
Hmmm...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 01 2020 :  4:01:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Alex, make sure your RDCs are metal before using the polish!

Chops, this set has a Pittman motor mounted vertically on the front truck. Only the RDC2 is powered. They run a little noisy, but relatively smooth.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 01 2020 :  6:36:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Thanks cheez, kinda figured that. Are the metal ones rare? Maybe brian has one I could fix up...

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 01 2020 :  10:28:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Athearn made the plastic cars for decades. The metal cars were only made for a couple of years back in the early 1950s. They come up every so often on ebay, and usually don't go for too much.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - April 02 2020 :  08:32:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Athearn made the plastic cars for decades. The metal cars were only made for a couple of years back in the early 1950s. They come up every so often on ebay, and usually don't go for too much.

Originally posted by DaCheez - April 01 2020 :  10:28:16 PM

Sounds like a train - show find to me!

Like we'll be going to any shows any time soon..

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - April 02 2020 :  9:28:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Could be! You might get lucky and find one mixed in with other stuff for $5. Or, you might find the guy who "knows what he has" and slaps the $100 price tag on it. Either way, they are out there. You guys in the US have much larger train shows than I've ever been to. Hopefully they're back on soon enough!
  Previous Topic: SOTW April 5th to April 11th 2020 Topic Next Topic: SOTW March 22 to 28, 2020  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000