Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My NEW N-Scale Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak
Page: of 3

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 03 2020 :  09:21:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

N-Scale was my first love in model trains, as it is what my family would set up under the Christmas tree every year, since I was very little, and I was always mesmerized with running those trains in the weeks leading up to and after Dec 25th. And then I got the idea to do a year round N-Scale layout 7+ years ago, and haven't looked back.....

That original N-Scale layout may be gone, but is memory lives on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKwGNkWEdY&list=PLcItFkPPp-YM9CnGf3O_p4MPr-Siur3q-

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 03 2020 :  10:17:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJl7b6MN7Q

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 06 2020 :  9:51:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Hope you enjoyed that.

Today, I received this already built Vollmer Water Tower in the mail, destined for the Alpine Railway. Backstory: As it turns out, in Germany, water towers are sort of like tourist attractions, in that people can visit them and climb up to the top to get a good view of the sorrounding town that the water tower often makes famous. In the US, water towers don't nearly get as much attention, so once I found out, I knew my Alpine town (no official name yet) had to have its own water tower.

Image credit to Ebay seller

It didn't take long to find a good spot for it on the layout, so I cleared out the trees and WS lichen in the area, and using a screwdriver and hammer, removed some stubborn plaster/lichen patch that was causing the water tower to lean too much.

I then glued the water tower down to the area with liquid cement

Lastly, I did some landscaping work to the rocky section beneath the water tower. I spread some rubber cement on the area, and pressed on Woodland Scnenics green coarse turf. Looks awesome! And the water tower was a perfect fit!

Now, both the water tower and the hilltop castle draw your eyes into the layout, which is splendid.

I then brought out my Fleischmann DB Class 218 red diesel for some van (box car) action. Stay tuned for an upcoming video!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 07 2020 :  05:14:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
And lighted signals!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 13 2020 :  9:48:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
And lighted signals!

Originally posted by Chops124-August 07 2020: 05:14:49 AM

Yes, Chops, those were installed by the previous owner, and I just couldn't remove them. The wiring work done to the layout by the creator is perfect. I should take a photo of the underside of the layout some day.

Recently I started looking at the main bridge in the center of the layout and disliking the different color paint/weathering, if you will, which sort of ruined it. It was kitbashed, somewhat, in that the creator glued 2 pieces of what were sides of another bridge on top to create a covered bridge. Nonetheless, the shabby paint drips made it look unsightly.

In watching various videos of German model railroads, I noticed 1 common thing - most bridges were green. Not sure why, exactly, but ultimately I decided, why not paint the unsightly bridge on the Alpine Railway, a nice bright (corroded copper-looking) green.

I found the perfect color as well as a small brush set at WalMart today, and got to work. After 2 coats, I'm pretty happy with the results.

One thing is certain, this bridge certainly pops now, but the green is a bit too bright, compared to the other bridges (which I do not plan on painting, by the way.) So, I'll weather it up later on. Stay tuned.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 14 2020 :  09:44:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I like it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 14 2020 :  9:58:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks.

But, I'm having 2nd thoughts as the green is a little too "ghostly" looking to me....I might paint over it with another shade of green or mix of 2 greens, as I was hoping for a little darker green. Right now, at certain angles, it looks glow-in-the-dark.

Will get back to it as soon as I can.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 15 2020 :  08:09:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks.

But, I'm having 2nd thoughts as the green is a little too "ghostly" looking to me....I might paint over it with another shade of green or mix of 2 greens, as I was hoping for a little darker green. Right now, at certain angles, it looks glow-in-the-dark.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 14 2020 :  9:58:57 PM

Also
I never thought of it as looking glowy, but now that you say it, hmmmm
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 16 2020 :  7:21:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yep....I actually got an idea to mix some slightly darker green acrylic paint I have, with water, and "wash" the bridge to only produce a darker shade, rather than weather it or paint it again....can't wait to try it - as in my mind that should work.

If the results are good, I'll paint all the bridges the same color, for continuity sake.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 16 2020 :  8:06:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Yep....I actually got an idea to mix some slightly darker green acrylic paint I have, with water, and "wash" the bridge to only produce a darker shade, rather than weather it or paint it again....can't wait to try it - as in my mind that should work.

If the results are good, I'll paint all the bridges the same color, for continuity sake.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 16 2020 :  7:21:14 PM

That will create a unique look. Can't wait to see it!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 19 2020 :  7:25:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
In my mind, it was a good idea, but I guess the particular paint I have either doesn't mix well with water, or I added too much water, because instead of washing the bridge, it was like I was wiping it with water. Too dilute, to do any good.

Honestly, the camera makes it look worse, as the green isn't that bad in person. I'll leave it alone, as the only green bridge on the layout. For now. I might weather it, but in the distant future.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - August 20 2020 :  01:44:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 14 2020 :  9:58:57 PM

Looks like a dead ringer for Tyco's Nite Glow.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 20 2020 :  4:35:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, you are right. I don't know what I'll do to it now...

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - August 21 2020 :  09:45:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
RP - Your layout reminds me of the HO scale Marklin display layout that Marshall Fields had in their Toy/Hobby department that I used to drool over as a kid.
I've been looking for a water tower like yours in HO. Several towns along the CB&Q out of Chicago have fancy old towers to match downtowns built in an European style.

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 21 2020 :  4:33:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
RP - Your layout reminds me of the HO scale Marklin display layout that Marshall Fields had in their Toy/Hobby department that I used to drool over as a kid.
I've been looking for a water tower like yours in HO. Several towns along the CB&Q out of Chicago have fancy old towers to match downtowns built in an European style.

Originally posted by Gary B-August 21 2020: 09:45:33 AM

Thanks Gary! I am flattered to hear that.

Interesting - I didn't even know that water towers could be a tourist attraction until I found my N-Scale Vollmer model and then started researching - cool.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 22 2020 :  3:46:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yesterday I received this pack of Kato N-Scale Single Track Catenary Poles, and got right to work installing them on the layout.

I decided to start from the left side of the layout, and placed the first pole right at the tunnel exit. This was achieved by drilling a small hole into the layout with a small drill bit (don't know the size, just winged it) and then covered the end of the pole in rubber cement before sinking it into the hole. To my delight, this worked perfectly!

I then came up with a very prototypical way (not) of determining the distance between the next pole and so forth - using Q-tips. I decided to place each pole half a Q-tip away from the track, and a full Q-tip distance from the previous one. Might sound crazy, but my idea worked, and the final result is awesome.

I chose not to paint the poles as I kinda liked the plain gray look, and most catenary poles are gray metal anyway. Also, this now gives me an excuse to run my electrics with their pantographs down, because with the pantographs raised, almost all my German electrics will now hit the catenary poles. LOL, so much for fixing that tunnel issue.

My next goal is to add actual wire, but not in a prototypical fashion. Again, I'm going for the "feel" here - as I did some digging on doing prototypical catenary and the diagrams look like insanity. The whole layout is fictitious, so might as well make the catenary look as best it possibly can, on a budget and for a non-prototypical layout.

I'm already loving the look however; this really makes the layout stand out. And, no, I do not plan to electrify the inner line track, as that is mainly a switching line for diesels anyways.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 22 2020 :  3:58:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Uh, I know it ain't supposed to be prototypical, but having catenary but not being able to have the pantographs up seems like a waste. Maybe you could just ad a drop of glue to them to keep them in an "In between" motion. Halfway up and halfway down. Maybe once you get the wire you could look into it, so then the pantographs could be lightly skimming the wire like on the real thing.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 22 2020 :  4:16:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Uh, I know it ain't supposed to be prototypical, but having catenary but not being able to have the pantographs up seems like a waste. Maybe you could just ad a drop of glue to them to keep them in an "In between" motion. Halfway up and halfway down. Maybe once you get the wire you could look into it, so then the pantographs could be lightly skimming the wire like on the real thing.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-August 22 2020: 3:58:01 PM

That is a thought, although I don't really want to glue them, I see no other way of keeping them in the air at a certain height, unless I use the wire to sort of hold down the pantographs, as well. You are right.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 23 2020 :  9:55:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Mixed 2 different shades of green acrylic paint together (1 being the almost glow-in-the-dark paint I used previously) and painted the bridge again. PERFECT green.

I also decided to paint the other railroad bridge on the layout, in the same green color, to match. Looks awesome, although I will be going over it again with a finer brush for the tight spaces.

I'm totally in love with how the green bridges really add to the layout. What do you think?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 24 2020 :  07:11:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I love it too!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2020 :  10:10:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I love it too!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-August 24 2020: 07:11:22 AM

Awesome! Will do final touches on 2nd bridge soon and post updates once complete.

Ordered this super thin silver craft wire online from Hobby Lobby for dirt cheap. Can't wait until it comes in. I hope it works out well as basic catenary wire.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 28 2020 :  9:37:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, the wire arrived, and after multiple attempts, I finally got 1 successful, simple, and unrealistic strand of craft wire up and looking fine.

I just weaved it through the catenary poles, and glued it at each end on the side of the layout, where not seen. The final effect is awesome! Though not prototypical, and nor is this layout, I like it.

Some of you may be wondering, what about the pantograph problem with some of my N-Scale German electrics? Well, I used the craft wire to take care of that also, weaving thru the pantograph and attaching the wire to the top of the locomotive by winding it around the base of the pantograph, so that it is easy to take off, but works perfectly at keeping the pantograph at the right height on some of my locomotives. And if the wire is facing towards the layout, rather than out towards the eye (or camera lens) than it is virtually invisible.

Others, such as this Arnold Rapido Class 103 didn't even need the craft wire, as the pantograph is already the perfect height.

Let me know your thoughts on the simple catenary. I could have added more wire, but personally wanted to keep it simple. Plus, with the catenary in the way now, I have to be EXTREMELY careful when placing and removing locomotives and cars, and if I made the catenary into a work of art, this would make the layout even more cumbersome to use.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 28 2020 :  9:47:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
fantastic! Looks great!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 28 2020 :  10:24:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
fantastic! Looks great!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-August 28 2020: 9:47:50 PM

Thanks!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 30 2020 :  10:18:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tviW4i-_HKE&t=13s

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 13 2020 :  07:02:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Featuring the N-Scale Roco version of the mighty DB Class 150 freight electric locomotive hauling a mixed goods train on the Alpine Railway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcX3V2ke_R8&t=38s

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  5:47:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finally figured out the contact issue with my cream & red DB Class 120 electric locomotive, and now it is running strong once again! A video of it running on the Alpine Railroad is forthcoming.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 23 2020 :  9:44:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here it is. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmAnKmjo1s

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 23 2020 :  9:52:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Vunderbar! Looks better every time. What have you decided
to do with the Marklin piece?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 23 2020 :  9:59:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Vunderbar! Looks better every time. What have you decided
to do with the Marklin piece?

Originally posted by Chops124-October 23 2020: 9:52:53 PM

Thanks Chops! The Marklin stuff did arrive in the mail, and for now, I'll just be storing it until the Roco centercab DB diesel comes in, in order for me to determine whether the coupler is compatible with the Marklin German HO cars I now have. If not, I'll be parting ways with the Marklin stuff, in particular, the Class 103 electric, so I'll keep everyone posted, as I'm sure there are Marklin collectors on here who would appreciate it more than I, and perhaps we could trade.

Stay tuned.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 01 2020 :  8:04:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Featuring an N-Scale Arnold Class 103 electric locomotive pulling the TEE Express on the Alpine Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPRRv_x_-o

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 03 2020 :  3:49:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Another fun video Robert. Thanks for sharing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 03 2020 :  8:51:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Another fun video Robert. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by wks-November 03 2020: 3:49:36 PM

Thanks wks!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 04 2020 :  07:27:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very nice. Close in shots effective.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2020 :  08:52:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice. Close in shots effective.

Originally posted by Chops124-November 04 2020: 07:27:02 AM

Thank you.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 10 2020 :  09:32:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Watch and enjoy this tour of my N-Scale Alpine Railroad, a 2' x 3' freelanced German paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGP3uian04&t=19s

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 19 2020 :  9:46:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Check out this vintage (Circa 1956-1958) Arnold Rapido DB V200 103 diesel locomotive, made in West Germany at around the same time the prototype V200 was being produced, hauling freight wagons on the Alpine Railway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IONLd_ZOS5c&t=145s

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 20 2020 :  01:09:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good stuff!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 20 2020 :  9:55:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Good stuff!

Originally posted by Chops124-November 20 2020: 01:09:13 AM

Thanks!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 14 2021 :  08:02:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy this video including a brief overview of all of my N-Scale German locomotives & train cars that I've obtained in the past 2 years, as well as an explanation of my plans/changes for the layout this year, and of course, train action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFA93LhyFR8&t=338s

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 16 2021 :  8:57:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I finally received this lot of N-Scale DB freight wagons, all the way from Germany! I can't wait to use these on the Alpenbahn in the near future.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 16 2021 :  10:55:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite the collection.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 17 2021 :  8:42:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Quite the collection.

Originally posted by Chops124-February 16 2021: 10:55:17 PM

Thanks Chops! They will be put to good use.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 12 2021 :  10:05:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
FINALLY finished gluing down all the ballast on the Alpine Railway and it turned out ok. I mean, it was my first time ever gluing down ballast stone, so it's not perfect, but it'll do.

Next on the list is cleaning the track again, sometime soon, and applying static grass to bare areas on the front of the layout.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 18 2021 :  10:09:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76ouTfeQvw&t=13s

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 19 2021 :  03:51:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Colorful layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000