Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My NEW N-Scale Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak
Page: of 3

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2019 :  9:24:45 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I spent my time wisely tonight cleaning up the majority of the track on my N-Scale layout with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I then removed all of the present structures (which was insanely difficult as the previous owner glued them all down with UNBELIEVABLE glue of some sort,) as I will be installing all European-style structures on this layout in the future! I did, however, preserve all of the lighting, to hopefully use in future buildings.

I also fired up my first European N-Scale locomotive (Minitrix German V200 diesel loco) to pull my first 3
N-Scale European freight "wagons."

Here's a little video of the new layout in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGdh1LJakak

Please stay tuned for updates, and I'm open to all suggestions!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on October 29 2019 9:30:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 30 2019 :  04:17:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Always liked that classic German diesel,
It moves right along. Looking forward
To the updates, btw is the inner track
A loop, siding stub?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 30 2019 :  6:53:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Always liked that classic German diesel,
It moves right along. Looking forward
To the updates, btw is the inner track
A loop, siding stub?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 30 2019 :  04:17:52 AM

The inner track is a loop so to speak from where it splits off the outer line at the bridge....it runs through the tunnel on the right and comes out on the back and connects back to the mainline via another switch track. However, there are 2 sidings on the "inner" line (one outside the left tunnel and the other inside it.)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 02 2019 :  9:09:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Today, I received the following in the mail for the layout......all purchased at great prices off of...you guessed it...Ebay.

First of all, I worked on assembling the Auhagen Small Station kit, which turned out excellent in my opinion, and placed it on the layout. A perfect fit! Plus, there was already a light bulb wired-up to the previous building, so I simply put it inside the train station!

I then installed the Klei Wei factory & chimney.

And lastly, the Faller castle! I do plan to make a small town out of the center of the layout, so the castle may either be moved back further/forward, or placed on the outskirts of the layout.

The newly acquired German locomotive is a Fleischmann red Class 212 (V100) diesel - which runs and looks awesome!

Now my layout is starting to look a lot more German. LOL

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 02 2019 :  9:17:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Love that center cab. Really cool how you lit off in a whole
new direction! Always some new avenue to explore in this
hobby.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 02 2019 :  9:52:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Love that center cab. Really cool how you lit off in a whole
new direction! Always some new avenue to explore in this
hobby.

Originally posted by Chops124-November 02 2019: 9:17:11 PM

Thanks Chops...yep. So now I am juggling 2 model railroad projects at once...keeps me busy when I'm not working.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 05 2019 :  9:17:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Tonight I focused on scenery work, beginning with the factory. I hot-glued both the building and the chimney to the layout, and then proceeded to glue down Woodland Scenics coarse turf & clump foliage. I'm quite pleased with the result:

Next, I worked on re-doing the brown-stone path leading to the "new" train station - by gluing down some black sand. I am still waiting for more buildings to arrive, so while this area is not completely scenicked, it is coming together.

An overview of Alpenbahn.

Last but not least, here's my latest video of action aboard the N-Scale Alpine Railway. Please enjoy!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 06 2019 :  2:51:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looking good Robert.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 07 2019 :  10:32:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you WKS!

Received a New Faller Branch Line Engine Shed & Signal Tower kit in the mail today, and assembled it in about 1 1/2 hours.

I placed the signal tower over-top where a light bulb was already wired-up, and also glued-down some Woodland Scenics clump foliage.

Next, I placed the engine shed on the siding nearest to the train station.

And, yes, I did some more scenery work. Looks pretty good to me.

I also secured yet another German locomotive (from an Ebay seller in Portugal) -- a red Fleischmann Class 120 electric locomotive. Paid only $50 shipped for it, which is a good deal considering at least on Ebay, this locomotive is worth $100 or more. I only have 1 problem - when I go to raise the pantographs, the locomotive unfortunately gets stuck when entering the tunnels. :( Any suggestions on how I could resolve this issue easily (like somehow only raising the pantographs up half-way) besides just not raising the pantographs at all?

Alpenbahn, as it looks now.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 08 2019 :  09:48:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yep, I've had similar issues with my overheads. BTW, does it
also get a voltage drop going through that pair of switches?

Can't say I'd do it, but I am considering adding a drop of
super glue to my pantagraphs so they sit in the half way
position.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 08 2019 :  9:59:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
A little bit...although it doesn't shudder as much as some of my other German locos. :(

So, tonight I did much more scenery work on Alpine Railway - through the use of more coarse turf and clump foliage. I also re-located the castle to the mountain above the soon-to-be town as per the suggestions I received on another forum I am now a member of (Railways of Germany) https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/germanrailfr/

This makes the castle not only stand out, but also appear as if it is watching over the layout.

Also, got paid today, and invested some of it in the following awesome used/pre-built N-Scale buildings for Alpenbahn, off of Ebay. The 3 townhouses are Kibri, while the remaining 3 structures are Vollmers. Can't wait to install these on the layout.

**All photos credit to Ebay sellers**

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2019 :  04:31:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Most cool. Like the new venue for the church. This
Is a totally new direction for you, do have Barvarian
roots? The new houses are great.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 09 2019 :  08:22:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like that castle on the mountain.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2019 :  4:10:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank you guys! I know I have a little bit of German mixed in my ancestry somewhere.....

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 11 2019 :  6:58:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I got a bunch of new items on the way in the mail for Alpine Railway - please stay tuned!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 12 2019 :  7:32:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Today, some of my recent N-Scale acquisitions arrived in the mail.....

First of all, this Fleischmann German N-Scale Starter Set - I got it without any track/powerpack for about 50 bucks, shipped. This was a really good deal, considering the included locomotive (a DB Class 218 diesel) goes for about $50 minimum, and of course, the 3 freight wagons are a much needed bonus.

My wagon collection grows....

In addition, I got the Woodland Scenics N-Scale locomotive & train car wheel cleaner - so far, I've put it to the test in cleaning 2 of my German locomotives' wheels, and some crud has been removed. It definitely works, at least.

Lastly, here's the 3 Kibri timbered townhouses, which look spectacular on the layout!! The nearby church is a building that has been in my family for a while - in fact, it was one of a few N-Scale buildings that were put up for display on the Christmas Tree N-Scale platform every year when I was younger. I figured that since it is European in style....it would fit right in on Alpenbahn, and be a forever display piece. Except, perhaps I should paint the steeple a pale green color.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 12 2019 :  10:54:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It's coming along nice! Springtime!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 13 2019 :  4:28:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
It's coming along nice! Springtime!

Originally posted by Chops124-November 12 2019: 10:54:20 PM

Thanks Chops! Yes..the green of spring on Alpenbahn contrasts to the frigid temperatures we've been experiencing this week in PA, USA.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 15 2019 :  9:20:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
First off, I received these 7 freight wagons in the mail today -- all from the same American Ebay seller and all obtained at a great price!

Tonight, I finally got fed up with locomotive shuttering/derailments on the Alpine Railway, so I pulled out the Labelle 105 Track Cleaner & Conditioner Kit (remarkably NOS) that I got in the large purchase from my neighbor a couple weeks ago. I applied it to all of the track (especially the switch tracks) with Q-tips exactly like how I would normally clean track with rubbing alcohol, and after running 2 of my German locomotives, I am happy to report that the Labelle Track Conditioner is an utter miracle worker!! Not only are my trains no longer shuttering, but they are practically gliding over the rails and can now run at prototypical slow speeds (exactly what I always dreamed of), without any hiccups.

As proof, here's a video I recorded tonight of a goods train on Alpenbahn. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLO1RkoLvM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 16 2019 :  09:21:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Nice cars! Glad to hear your engines are running smoothly. Maybe I should get some of that Labelle track cleaner! Are there any plans for a Steam locomotive on the Alpine Railroad, because your new cars look like they would look good behind a steamer, or are we strictly diesel?

One thing that bugs me a bit, is the corner of the castle, which looks like it is sitting on the foliage, rather than 'in' it, if you get what I mean.

But everything looks fantastic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 16 2019 :  7:43:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Alex! Yeah, I totally recommend the Labelle 105 Track Cleaner/Conditioner -- it is quite simple to apply (as I stated, I only used Q-tips) and works really well...to the point where now I rarely if ever have a train hesitate over the switch tracks.

You are right about the castle - I will fix that by "building up" the foliage around the castle a bit more, to allow the castle to appear to "sink" in to the foliage. Thanks for informing me about that.

As far as Steam Locomotives...finding foreign types (German ones especially) at a good price is quite difficult. As soon as I can obtain one cheap, then yeah, the Alpine Railway will feature steam power.

Today I received the following N-Scale buildings in the mail - got 'em all from the same US seller off of Ebay.

I proceeded to then clear out the center of the layout, brush down an even layer of rubber cement, and sprinkle some medium green turf over top of the entire area. Looked pretty good just as grass.

Next I re-installed the buildings, which look awesome on the Alpine Railroad! I supposed I will call the town "Alpine Village" or "Bergdorf" in German. Unfortunately I couldn't fit the one Kibri building on the layout at present....so it's up for grabs to anyone who wants it for their layout. (Please feel free to give me any suggestions as to how I could fit it in, as I do want to keep it.) Turns out it is definitely missing some small details, such as windows, etc, so it is still good for parts, or when being viewed from its "good side."

I also began placing some N-Scale German vehicles on the layout, just to get a feel of what I plan to do with the road. I will be "re-paving" the road, by installing some sort of cobblestone path (either sticker or glue-on) to continue with the European effect.

Edited by - RP model railroads on November 16 2019 8:07:27 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 16 2019 :  8:59:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Always fun to branch off into a whole new direction! Is that
a VW bus?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 16 2019 :  9:09:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
a VW bus?

Originally posted by Chops124-November 16 2019: 8:59:54 PM

Agreed! Yep...I've got 2 N-Scale VW buses (1 green and 1 gray.) Figured they fit right in.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 22 2019 :  9:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I bought a roll of this N-Scale Noch Cobblestone adhesive street stuff off of Ebay today. I hope this works on the Alpine Railway....

Photo credit to Ebay seller

I am also awaiting the arrival of 2 more N-Scale German locomotives, one coming all the way from Portugal (again!) Please stay tuned.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2019 :  9:59:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
a VW bus?

Originally posted by Chops124-November 16 2019: 8:59:54 PM

Agreed! Yep...I've got 2 N-Scale VW buses (1 green and 1 gray.) Figured they fit right in.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 16 2019 :  9:09:53 PM

you may want to put the cars on the other side of the road
since Germany drives on the right just like NA does hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 23 2019 :  7:54:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks Alex! Yeah, I totally recommend the Labelle 105 Track Cleaner/Conditioner -- it is quite simple to apply (as I stated, I only used Q-tips) and works really well...to the point where now I rarely if ever have a train hesitate over the switch tracks.

You are right about the castle - I will fix that by "building up" the foliage around the castle a bit more, to allow the castle to appear to "sink" in to the foliage. Thanks for informing me about that.

As far as Steam Locomotives...finding foreign types (German ones especially) at a good price is quite difficult. As soon as I can obtain one cheap, then yeah, the Alpine Railway will feature steam power.

Today I received the following N-Scale buildings in the mail - got 'em all from the same US seller off of Ebay.

I proceeded to then clear out the center of the layout, brush down an even layer of rubber cement, and sprinkle some medium green turf over top of the entire area. Looked pretty good just as grass.

Next I re-installed the buildings, which look awesome on the Alpine Railroad! I supposed I will call the town "Alpine Village" or "Bergdorf" in German. Unfortunately I couldn't fit the one Kibri building on the layout at present....so it's up for grabs to anyone who wants it for their layout. (Please feel free to give me any suggestions as to how I could fit it in, as I do want to keep it.) Turns out it is definitely missing some small details, such as windows, etc, so it is still good for parts, or when being viewed from its "good side."

I also began placing some N-Scale German vehicles on the layout, just to get a feel of what I plan to do with the road. I will be "re-paving" the road, by installing some sort of cobblestone path (either sticker or glue-on) to continue with the European effect.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 16 2019 :  7:43:39 PM

Alright! Good to hear you are fixing that bit. I agree on the prices, but are there any German steamers that are made in N that you have your eye on?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 24 2019 :  11:02:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I have used Kopsfleinphlaster on the British layout and found the result was
quite satisfactory. Better than the Ikclesporkshamhaster that I used to use!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 24 2019 :  10:56:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Alex - at this point, nope. I actually need to research into some German steamers, as my knowledge of German locomotives currently is rather limited to diesels and electrics.

Chops -

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 25 2019 :  10:49:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Alex - at this point, nope. I actually need to research into some German steamers, as my knowledge of German locomotives currently is rather limited to diesels and electrics.

Chops -

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 24 2019 :  10:56:59 PM

Ah, maybe a prussian p8 would suit you. Not too old, but new enough to look alright next to the diesels and electrics you have.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 27 2019 :  4:46:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Hmmm...Thanks Alex for the tip! Will have to delve deeper into the world of N-Scale German steam locomotives....

I apologize for the lack of updates recently, as my job took precedence over the weekend, and I also wrapped up a 10 hour shift yesterday. However, I did work on the layout yesterday night....

First and foremost, here are 2 new additions to the N-Scale German locomotive roster:

Another V200 diesel (this one made by Arnold Rapido). Runs sweet!

Super stoked about this.....Arnold German E94 "Crocodile" electric locomotive. Paid a fair price for it, and it came all the way from Portugal, but it looks and runs awesome!!!

After testing out my new N-Scale German locomotives, I then proceeded to work on the roadway. I snipped and applied the N-Scale cobblestone road stuff (which was stickier than I thought and applied great)....and trimmed around the railroad tracks with an X-Acto -- came out looking pretty good. I then decided to leave the bridge as-is, and as far as putting the cobblestone in the village, it would not apply due to the coarse turf I previously laid down. :( So, I simply used my mainstay - Dollar Store black sand - and sprinkled it down to create a stone roadway for the village. Lastly, using hot glue, I affixed clump foliage as a "frame" of sorts for the cobblestone roadway past the bridge. Looks really good to me. I'm quite proud of how far the Alpine Railway has come in only over a month or so.

In the end, if the cobblestone path starts to peel up - I'll just cover it with black sand, and create an entire stone roadway. I honestly like the look better.

Please enjoy the following video of the "Krokodil" operating on Alpenbahn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKLtWdGfmY&t=1s

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 27 2019 :  8:53:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Sweet E94. Why did you get another V200? Wouldnt you rather get a different loco? Nevertheless, I think it looks cool with the white stripe instead of black. Maybe double - head the two with all your rolling stock!

It's pretty amazing how far you've come in just a month!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 27 2019 :  9:40:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Sweet E94. Why did you get another V200? Wouldnt you rather get a different loco? Nevertheless, I think it looks cool with the white stripe instead of black. Maybe double - head the two with all your rolling stock!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-November 27 2019: 8:53:03 PM

Thanks Alex! I too am surprised at how quickly the transformation has occurred.

Well, the V200 is my favorite German diesel locomotive....so I'm gonna try to get as many as possible (at good prices of course.) Also, my first V200 was a Minitrix and this one is an Arnold (and boy, the Arnold V200 runs a TON better than the Trix.)

A double-header sounds like a good idea for the next video. Thanks!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 28 2019 :  07:53:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-November 27 2019: 8:53:03 PM

Thanks Alex! I too am surprised at how quickly the transformation has occurred.

Well, the V200 is my favorite German diesel locomotive....so I'm gonna try to get as many as possible (at good prices of course.) Also, my first V200 was a Minitrix and this one is an Arnold (and boy, the Arnold V200 runs a TON better than the Trix.)

A double-header sounds like a good idea for the next video. Thanks!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 27 2019 :  9:40:24 PM

Ohhhh, ok. I can see how it is your favorite. That diesel is sweet.

I shouldn't be talking, with my 5 docksiders!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 30 2019 :  7:05:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yesterday, I received the following lot of N-Scale cars in the mail (along with an HO-Scale Bachmann "trackster.") I won the entire lot on Ebay for around $50, which I thought was a good price for the 3 Roco coal wagons alone. So now another 8 German wagons have been added to the roster.

I also got these 2 Ibertren white wagons a few days ago, but forgot to post them here.

Today, the following lot of 4 wagons came in....I mostly was interested in both the ballast wagon & tank wagon, but of course, I so love covered wagons, aka "vans".

I also purchased this Fleischmann German DB steam locomotive off of Ebay a couple days ago at a fair price. I now regret doing so.

Unfortunately, there were 2 small broken parts on the shell (as seen below) that I completely overlooked in the listing photos. Also, upon removing the tender shell, and tinkering around (as the locomotive was running sporadically), the brush spring snapped in half and off the wire it came.

Needless to say, I will no longer invest in any N-Scale steam locomotives for the Alpine Railway, especially after this $70 mistake. It will remain a diesel & electric layout.

Here's a photo of DB Class 218 diesel locomotive passing the train station with a string of wagons.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 30 2019 :  8:09:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow! That's a nice steamer!

That's a real shame, that had to happen. Dont let it get your hopes down for steamers. It will only open up new challenges and learning experiences. Dont give up on him!

I look forward to seeing you repair it and get it running!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 30 2019 :  11:09:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
The subject on the broken steamer, I have never bought a steamer in my life. My nephew, in his 30's buys a lot of them... He handles HO as I do...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 01 2019 :  5:47:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL...yeah, I was mad yesterday. I'm sure I'll invest in a GOOD N-Scale German steam locomotive some time in the future, avoiding the mistakes I made with this one. As far as fixing it goes, I'm sure it will go on the project table for a while.

Walt...wow...I never did either until I started buying some Tyco steamers for RETRO TYCO II (and I am so glad I did!)

Overall, I consider myself a diesel fan, but also enjoy all electric locomotives, and some steam. Which makes me laugh, because when I was younger and watched Thomas the Tank Engine, I HATED diesels.

Anyway, enjoy this video of DB Class 120 electric locomotive operating on the Alpine Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7F8WXCrCw&t=14s

Edited by - RP model railroads on December 01 2019 5:50:38 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 02 2019 :  12:29:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great views of the Alpine layout. Is that steamer
money back? Sounds like a classic case of unloading
trash. I hope we will see some German steam
in the future on the Hidden Valley.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - December 02 2019 :  12:34:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice to see the younger people in the hobby buying steamers! I could watch trains at a distance from my front porch as a kid and I guess I just got attached to the diesels that I saw... Steamers are cool, really neat to watch on their limited travel around the U.S.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 02 2019 :  7:01:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Walt and Chops!

Chops, no, the steam locomotive was delivered exactly as pictured in the auction. I just didn't notice the damages.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 03 2019 :  9:39:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Today, the following arrived in the mail:

I paid $70, shipped for this lot, which is roughly $8 per car - a great deal. In total, I got 2 sets of 4 German passenger coaches, 1 old-fashioned Trix coach, and 1 box wagon. Can't wait to run these on the layout!

Also, this afternoon, I went with my Dad to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and bought a used maple-wood dresser for the Alpine Railroad to sit on top of. Please stay tuned!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 05 2019 :  5:59:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Red DB Class 218 diesel locomotive hauling freight on the Alpine Railway. The soundtrack is the 1st Movement of Beethoven's Symphony #5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fQ6FP8tFw&t=20s

By the way, here's a photo of the Alpine Railway, now sitting atop the newly acquired dresser. The storage capacity is immense (although I've already filled 2 of the bottom drawers with train stuff) and when sitting down, I am at eye-level with the trains. This will improve video quality as well as enjoyment of my layout.

Today, the following lot of slim N-Scale European buildings arrived in the mail. I got the whole lot on Ebay for $46, shipped. While I do understand that these are meant to serve as backdrops, I figured I'd try to make them work in "Alpine Village." So glad I did....

In total, I was able to use all of the "home" looking structures (4 in the row, and 2 on the outskirts.) I also dumped some Woodland Scenics clump foliage behind the strip of buildings up against the mountain.....allowing the foliage to spill over the mountain a bit too. I am quite impressed with how well these skinny buildings worked, and look forward to making the village even more realistic by adding more trees -- Spoiler Alert!

Yet another video of action aboard the Alpine Railway -- featuring the 1st passenger train.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 05 2019 :  6:10:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I think the skinny buildings with their backs showing need to go. One of the important things when building a layout, especially a town is to know when to stop. Now it's looking a bit cluttered. It looked much better before imo. The others look fine though

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 05 2019 :  9:11:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I think the skinny buildings with their backs showing need to go. One of the important things when building a layout, especially a town is to know when to stop. Now it's looking a bit cluttered. It looked much better before imo. The others look fine though

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-December 05 2019: 6:10:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Alex. Does anyone else feel this way? I would truly appreciate your feedback, as I'm posting progress of this layout on both this forum as well as the Railways of Germany forum, and haven't received such a critique yet. I also like the look.

As far as the village looking too crowded - you are right. But, that is exactly what I was hoping for. Most European towns (villages in particular) have rather tight streets.

The trees arrived! 247 to be exact.

I have begun adding them to the layout - first of all, behind the Alpine Village, and on the right mountain. Looking good!! Tomorrow I will attempt to cover the other mountain in these trees, and then see how many remain.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 06 2019 :  9:15:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Placed all the rest of the trees on the layout tonight. The Alpine Railroad looks phenomenal now!!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 07 2019 :  08:38:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Oh wow! That does look a lot better! Really gets the feel of the Railroad being nestled in a small valley in the mountain! Nice work!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 07 2019 :  9:52:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Oh wow! That does look a lot better! Really gets the feel of the Railroad being nestled in a small valley in the mountain! Nice work!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-December 07 2019: 08:38:11 AM

Thank You.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 07 2019 :  10:03:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-December 07 2019: 08:38:11 AM

Thank You.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - December 07 2019 :  9:52:21 PM

You're welcome!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 08 2019 :  2:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Videography is great! I liked the bridge shots and tunnel shots
in the particular. Love those passenger coaches, makes me
want to hop on board. Hang onto those low relief buildings,
they may come in handy if you ever decide to try a new
look.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 08 2019 :  10:52:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Videography is great! I liked the bridge shots and tunnel shots
in the particular. Love those passenger coaches, makes me
want to hop on board. Hang onto those low relief buildings,
they may come in handy if you ever decide to try a new
look.

Originally posted by Chops124-December 08 2019: 2:06:57 PM

Thanks Chops - I appreciate it!

Figured it was about time for this. Please enjoy this video compilation of photos illustrating the Alpine Railway's Transformation just over the past month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtIk_Il9r4o

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 14 2019 :  9:36:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
After waiting for about 2 weeks, I finally got this awesome Roco DB Class 215 diesel locomotive!! It just arrived in the mail today, all the way from Germany.

Here's a video of it in action, hauling passenger coaches on the Alpine Railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGMqjjq28I&t=137s

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000