Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 41 ]  [ Total: 42 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann's 'Repairs'
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann score! Topic Next Topic: Any thoughts on how to restore this piece?  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 13 2019 :  5:03:43 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Hello everybody! My first topic here. Thought up of this on the fly, and because I was reading some other topics where this has happened. Especially SCVR66's one where they sent him a newer version of his Southern 'Modern' 4-4-0. Anywho, I have a Bachmann Jupiter, the 'V2' as i like to call it, where they kept the tooling of the first vulnerable pancake 4-4-0, and improved it a bit, made it the appropriate blue, and then slapped it over a newer motor. (Still not sure if it's a 5 or 3 poler). But alas, It does not run as well as it did 3 years ago, even with proper maintenance. While it does mean a lot to me, I have been looking for a cheap new Jupiter. The 'V3' with the new tooling that can accept DCC. (I don't run DCC... Yet. ) I hate to sound like this, and try and cheat Bachmann into giving me an expensive engine, but if I were to uncouple the 'OK' tender, and then couple the loco to one of the spare Jupiter tenders I have where the Carbon brush disintegrated inside the brass holder, which also got detached durning soldering - gone - wrong. And then sent it in, would there be a possibility, since that version is out of production, and because they're lazy, that they would send back a brand new - new tooling Jupiter for a 'repair' fee?

Just a thought...

Some Pics:

The one I currently own:

The one I'd like to have

Till' Then!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 13 2019 :  5:31:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a beauty. I've some people just slap in a new motor, of
better quality in those tender drives, and the results have
been magnificent. I'm sure if you look around on youtube,
you'll find a decent remotoring tutorial. I do have an extra
tender motor for that unit, PM me with your address and I
can send it out for free. Consider it a Welcome Wagon gift
to this splendid forum.

Here's a video I shot of the Jupiter, sold to me by our very
own RP Model Railroads. Check out the Trading Post section,
some very cool stuff turns up at very reasonable prices from
time to time.

https://youtu.be/0D9OSgz5xTg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 13 2019 :  5:53:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Yep, thats mine! I've seen somebody put a Mabuchi in one, but I'm after a new tooling one. They look better, perform even better, and for some reason my headlight flickers even though I clean the track on my Ez - Empire and pilot truck regularly. I know it sounds silly, but hey, I've heard great things about those new 4-4-0's.

Thank you very much for offering!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 13 2019 :  9:08:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks for the tip on Mabuchi, I've not
heard of that before.

A FOM, friend of mine, has the American Type
with sound, also by Bachmann, ran really sweet
with awesome sound effects.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 13 2019 9:10:25 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - October 14 2019 :  12:31:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
quote:
Hello everybody! My first topic here. Thought up of this on the fly, and because I was reading some other topics where this has happened. Especially SCVR66's one where they sent him a newer version of his Southern 'Modern' 4-4-0. Anywho, I have a Bachmann Jupiter, the 'V2' as i like to call it, where they kept the tooling of the first vulnerable pancake 4-4-0, and improved it a bit, made it the appropriate blue, and then slapped it over a newer motor. (Still not sure if it's a 5 or 3 poler). But alas, It does not run as well as it did 3 years ago, even with proper maintenance. While it does mean a lot to me, I have been looking for a cheap new Jupiter. The 'V3' with the new tooling that can accept DCC. (I don't run DCC... Yet. ) I hate to sound like this, and try and cheat Bachmann into giving me an expensive engine, but if I were to uncouple the 'OK' tender, and then couple the loco to one of the spare Jupiter tenders I have where the Carbon brush disintegrated inside the brass holder, which also got detached durning soldering - gone - wrong. And then sent it in, would there be a possibility, since that version is out of production, and because they're lazy, that they would send back a brand new - new tooling Jupiter for a 'repair' fee?

Just a thought...

Some Pics:

The one I currently own:

The one I'd like to have

Till' Then!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - October 13 2019 :  5:03:43 PM

Might be worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it. Thousands of model railroaders, including myself, have tried to cash in on Bachmann's legendary lifetime warranty, to the point where I'm sure they have put some policies in place in order not to be on the hook for every second and third hand Bachmann out there that fails.

I picked up a Bachmann E60CP at a train show a few years back - which turned out to be DOA. I figured what the heck, maybe they will just replace my pancake E60 with a brand new replacement. Nope! They said that my version was no longer in production, so they offered me a F7 - and kept my old E60CP.

The F7 wasn't a bad deal, it had a newer 8WD chassis with a can motor - but the shell was cheaper than cheap.

Also keep in mind that you are paying shipping fees as well.

Not trying to dissuade you, but I'd go into it with low expectations, hoping for a nice surprise (maybe).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 14 2019 :  07:31:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I just dug around my parts bin and found a spare blue Jupiter locomotive! I'm going to fix it up and couple it to that tender. I've decided to give it a shot. Even if they dont give me a jupiter, maybe I'll get a better current production engine, like Crown vic said. I'll send some IRL pics of the two later.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 14 2019 :  12:05:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'll never do that "Lifetime Warranty" thing ever!
I'd rather fix my own locos or have a friend help me instead

I do think a modern coupler looks odd on a 1860s type of loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 14 2019 :  1:32:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This here is a video of my bud's recent updated version
of the American type, Bachmann, filmed at El Paso Model Train Club.

https://youtu.be/kkcu2DtPVK8

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 14 2019 :  5:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I'll never do that "Lifetime Warranty" thing ever!
I'd rather fix my own locos or have a friend help me instead

I do think a modern coupler looks odd on a 1860s type of loco

Originally posted by microbusss - October 14 2019 :  12:05:14 PM

Yeah, I agree on that coupler! Especially since the Jupiter is so small, the coupler looks a bit large but hey, at least hell be able to couple to cars in front!

I agree that fixing your own locos adds to the fun and challenge of model railroading, but I think it's worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 14 2019 :  5:53:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
This here is a video of my bud's recent updated version
of the American type, Bachmann, filmed at El Paso Model Train Club.

https://youtu.be/kkcu2DtPVK8

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 14 2019 :  1:32:00 PM

Grrrr.... You guys are making me jealous!

So smooth and quiet.
Ah, someday...
  Previous Topic: Bachmann score! Topic Next Topic: Any thoughts on how to restore this piece?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000