Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 RETRO TYCO II
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout
Page: of 5

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 17 2019 :  12:02:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Started deconstructing the Horseshoe Curve Branch Line layout this morning before work, and got pretty far. Salvaged 80% of all Woodland Scenics clump foliage, as well as nearly all of the N-Scale track and the 4 powerpacks.

After removing all of the foam and debris, I plan to strip the benchwork down to bare plywood, and then either put another plywoood layer on top or directly attach green material. Stay tuned.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 17 2019 :  1:25:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I hope you saved the Horseshoe in the grass
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 17 2019 :  5:47:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ouch! That must have been just a little painful. I know, because we
cannot save these things like paintings on a wall, something has to
give. I am looking forward to Retro II.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 17 2019 :  7:36:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Look forward to your progress on your layout Robert.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 17 2019 :  9:11:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
A bold step to a new beginning, good luck!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 17 2019 :  10:09:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, it's probably destroyed now, busss. It was just hand-laid stone anyway. Could always replicate the technique on a future layout.

Strangely enough, Chops, it was satisfying. #1, I like busting stuff apart, and #2, because I am super stoked about building a newer, and better RETRO TYCO.

Stay tuned all.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 20 2019 :  11:21:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
SATURDAY'S UPDATE:

Removed all of the foam mountains and a lot of the scenery. Filled up four 39-gallon trash bags....

TODAY: Removed all the rest of the debris from the tabletop and floor. Ready for a plywood facelift (a.k.a. installation of a new sheet of plywood,) since the Woodland Scenics Resin Water/model reservoirs wrecked the current plywood. Ripped off the skirting also.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 21 2019 :  09:57:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - August 21 2019 :  2:36:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

You sure do not procrastinate when you are rebuilding Robert.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 21 2019 :  10:19:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nope...I never procrastinate when the project is something I want to do.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  08:55:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Unscrewed the top 2 pieces of plywood and simply flipped-them over and re-affixed them to the benchwork (this way I now have a smooth wooden surface to work with.) Bought foam sheets which have been cut smaller, and will be attached to the top of the plywood to not only make the table "higher" but also easier to nail down track.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  3:26:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
With the help of my Dad, I trimmed down all of the foam pieces to get straight edges, and screwed down the foam to the tabletop.

Then, I found some nice bright-green fabric (6' x 9') for only $11 from Jo-Ann Fabrics, and stapled it down on the underside of the benchwork. Tonight I will work on laying the railroad track!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  7:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Tonight, I spent roughly 2 hours laying out track on RETRO TYCO II....check it out!! I personally think the figure-8 inner line is perfect, while the outer line I may modify a bit more by making another siding or 2. In addition, I already tested out a locomotive on both tracks...and it works.

Please let me know what you think.

Edited by - RP model railroads on August 24 2019 7:56:15 PM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 24 2019 :  8:07:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I also like the figure 8. I think the hills and reversing curves add interest to the train's movements.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 24 2019 :  8:44:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Whoa, Nelly!! Now that is quite impressive. A two line main.
I will be very, very interested how that 8 works out, I've
always struggled with grades- could never get them right.
Worse comes to worse, you can always do a regular level
crossing. Nice groundscape, too. What kind of fabric did you
use???

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2019 :  9:52:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!! Right now...none of the track is secured down to the table, as I continue to make some minor adjustments. However, I do plan on running a train for a longer period of time on the figure-8, in order to ensure that my Tyco trains can handle it (the locomotive I used tonight to test both lines was a LifeLike F7.)

The fabric was classified as "Pirate Green Felt" at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 25 2019 :  9:47:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Accessories, Accessories, Accessories!!!! Just trying to get a feel of just how much space I have on RETRO TYCO II, and what can be put where.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 26 2019 :  12:13:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That passing siding for the bulldozer siding is
a nice touch. The Chessie looks right at home.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 26 2019 :  8:45:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
It is a nice layout but I do have one suggestion. Maybe you could find a way to connect the figure 8 to the outside oval?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 26 2019 :  9:53:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
It is a nice layout but I do have one suggestion. Maybe you could find a way to connect the figure 8 to the outside oval?

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 26 2019 :  8:45:37 PM

Hmmmmm...but then I couldn't run 2 trains at once, which is what I hoped for, with 2 separate lines.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 26 2019 :  10:44:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - August 26 2019 :  8:45:37 PM

Hmmmmm...but then I couldn't run 2 trains at once, which is what I hoped for, with 2 separate lines.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 26 2019 :  9:53:22 PM

Why couldn't you run two trains at once if the two lines were connected to each other?
All you need to do is subdivide you railroad into electrical blocks controlled by Atlas
selector switches. Shown below is a diagram of your layout with a connection track
between the two main lines. The colors represent the electrical blocks your track
plan can be subdivided into.

With the track plan shown above, you can use the connection track as an
interchange. For example a train running on the outside loop can set out
some cars on the connection track where the train running on the figure
eight line can pick them up and visa versa. This is the way real
railroads exchange cars between connecting companies. This is kind of
operation that can turn a mere toy train layout into an actual model railroad.

I have some Atlas selector switches I could part with for free if you
are interested in trying them.

Edited by - Srenchin on August 26 2019 11:40:16 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 27 2019 :  09:04:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks for the track plan, Srenchin, and that makes complete sense. The only thing is I would need to modify my present track by adding a switch track on the inner-figure 8...which would not fit directly under the bridge like the track plan demonstrates. This means I would need to replace one of my straight tracks "behind" the bridge, and then run track off of it to connect up with the siding to no-man's land off of the main line. However, that siding I had intended to use for Tyco Operating Unloading Hopper Accessory, and I would have virtually no other place on the layout to do that...since the accessory needs at least 1-3 straight tracks to act as a "ramp" for the unloading hopper.

With that being said, I really prefer the 2 separate lines, and while I do agree with you that block switches would enhance realistic operations, this is Tyco after all. I really do want to keep the "toyish" aspect.

UPDATE:

Although I do still need to place more accessories on RETRO TYCO II, I can already tell that there will be no room for a slot car track.......which is unfortunate. BUT, I really wanted to focus on Tyco Trains with this layout, so I think I'll fill up the remaining space on the layout with a Tyco town, filled with Tyco buildings. Maybe I could turn RETRO TYCO I into a US1/slot car layout. Thoughts?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 27 2019 :  10:01:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Spent more time today laying out the rest of my Tyco operating accessories and one of my Tyco tunnels...lookin' good.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 29 2019 :  10:01:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Coming along nice!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 29 2019 :  9:59:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops!

Re-adjusted RETRO TYCO II in the basement today...and built a foot-wide wooden shelf off the front of the layout, to serve as the "control panel." Wiring up the new Tyco powerpack to control both lines.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 30 2019 :  10:38:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Keeps getting bigger!! I see a lot of empty room still...

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 30 2019 :  7:12:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*sticks 2 bridges between layouts*
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 31 2019 :  10:07:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

Edited by - RP model railroads on September 01 2019 8:20:32 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 03 2019 :  9:51:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yesterday, I got the Tyco Blocking Controller installed on the "control panel" shelf, and it is working perfectly -- allowing me to have 3 powered locomotives on the layout at a time (2 on the tracks and 1 on the siding.)

Today, I vacuumed up the little bits left behind at each hole where wire had been fished down through the platform. Looking even better!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 04 2019 :  7:17:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Enjoy the following 2 latest videos of action aboard RETRO TYCO II.

UPDATE:
Ordered the Tyco Lighted Freight Station off of Ebay for 15 bucks, free shipping. Can't wait to place it on RETRO TYCO II!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 05 2019 :  10:37:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Made further progress on RETRO TYCO II this morning...

First of all, I wired up the Steam Whistle Billboard on the front of the layout.

Then, I brought my 2nd Tyco tunnel out of storage, and placed it along the inner line. Looks good to me!

Lastly, I installed the Crossing Flasher on the front of the layout, and it is working well. The track is unfortunately steel, instead of brass-rail, but oh well. RETRO TYCO II represents 2 ages of Tyco HO track.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 05 2019 :  9:01:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
am looking for that one!

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 05 2019 :  9:38:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Does both lights blink at the same time on that piece...?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 05 2019 :  10:15:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yes! When the train runs over the track, it activates the flasher, and both lights flash simultaneously.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 06 2019 :  8:47:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Yes! When the train runs over the track, it activates the flasher, and both lights flash simultaneously.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - September 05 2019 :  10:15:35 PM

to me that was the cheap version of the lights & bell crossing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufwQjQqwQ5w

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 07 2019 :  2:52:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I have to agree Microbusss that that Tyco signal is not really cool. Personally I couldn’t deal with both lights are blinking at the same time being so unrealistic.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 08 2019 :  9:14:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nifty action shot! As for it being unfortunately steel instead
of brass, just do what I do: pretend.

Sort of like air catenary for the G.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 09 2019 :  08:18:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops! LOL...I will have to.

Progress has halted on RETRO TYCO II for now, as I am waiting for recent acquisitions to arrive in the mail. Stay tuned!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 11 2019 :  9:55:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finally got the Tyco Lighted Freight Station..and just installed it tonight on RETRO TYCO...looks awesome!!

AND, I purchased this superb "Red Box Era" Santa Fe ALCO C430 for a little over $20. It sports an MU-2 style motor, pre-installed handrails, and a nearly mint paint job. As expected, this C430 runs just as awesome as it looks. So happy to have added another Tyco ALCO to the collection!

RETRO TYCO II (a.k.a. "the" RETRO TYCO) as it looks currently:

I have decided to turn RETRO TYCO I into a Tyco slot car layout!!! I definitely want to include some US1 elements, so stay tuned for more news on that project.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 12 2019 :  6:00:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I have to agree Microbusss that that Tyco signal is not really cool. Personally I couldn’t deal with both lights are blinking at the same time being so unrealistic.

Originally posted by walt - September 07 2019 :  2:52:00 PM

I want it so I can add a 2nd signal to that crossing bell & lights accessory
Least I think its the same size

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 14 2019 :  3:21:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I somehow overlooked the figure 8 video: I've never seen one
work! It runs like downtown, superb work!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 14 2019 :  5:22:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops!!

Made further progress on RETRO TYCO II today, upon receiving the Tyco Automatic Unloading Hopper Accessory in the mail.

I then set it up, and it looks absolutely awesome on the layout!

Stay tuned for more updates.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 14 2019 :  10:42:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice addition to your layout Robert.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 15 2019 :  10:15:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks wks!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 16 2019 :  10:40:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
The green ground cover provides an excellent back drop to the
pure Tyco it displays. Well done.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 16 2019 :  10:29:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Chops! Upon your advice, I definitely will take a video of the Unloading Hoppers in action (speaking of which, I need more of them, in the different schemes.)

Progress has again stalled on RETRO TYCO II - my next plans are to begin constructing under-the-table shelving.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 21 2019 :  10:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The construction of wooden drawers under RETRO TYCO II has begun.....so far 3 drawers have been installed (thanks to tremendous help from my Dad.)

A 4th drawer has yet to be installed, as well as handles.

Edited by - RP model railroads on September 22 2019 11:25:06 PM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 22 2019 :  11:55:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Very Nice, RP... I done this same thing using drawers from a worn out chest... Very handy space... Each drawer is 24 x 14 and 4 inches deep. Just thinking now, I have 4 more drawers and hardware stored in the garage. May add another of the same on one side.

Edited by - walt on September 23 2019 03:00:09 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 23 2019 :  09:27:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Walt, and your drawers look awesome!

By the way, since I forgot to include dimensions in the previous post, each drawer is 39'' x 24'' and 4'' deep.

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - September 23 2019 :  3:43:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
I like the drawers I did the same thing under my yard.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 24 2019 :  10:43:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks!

Tonight, my Dad and I finished up the final drawer and installed handles. So glad to finally have storage drawers for all of my Tyco cars, and possibly locomotives too.

My ultimate goal is to paint the entire benchwork, table legs and drawers a white color...once I am 80% satisfied with the layout itself.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000