Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 How Not to Remotor a Budd
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Walthers First HO Scale Diesel Model Topic Next Topic: Chops shows off his upgraded Bachmann  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2019 :  12:28:34 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Of low make, and poor ability, I am pretty off the cuff when it comes to fixing stuff. X24, X2F, eh,
something like that. To see something requiring real skill, please take a look at Srenchin's
excellent post on his '38 Walthers. Now that is MEGA COOL.

Anyhows, after the original motor roasted itself out from overuse and age, sort of like my
brain, I pasted in a dual fly wheel Athearn motor, and thought myself pretty clever. Used
Liquid Nails to secure it, I did, and then discovered, after it dried, that the motor sat
to tall for the chassis to fit properly. Sat on the shelf another year. So then I see this
motor on eBay, says it will replace Athearn Diesel motor. So I think, cool, this will fit
into a GP 9 (or SD 40 or something) in which the motor is cooked out.

So I get this thing in the mail, finally get a chance to open it, and find that it is big as my
head , or maybe more accurately, my brain, and no way it's going to fit between the
narrow body of an Athearn...unless it was an F unit or a Budd...

So, after scraping off the Liquid Nails, I found that the tension of the drive shafts held in
by rubber bands, only required the most modest effort to hold the motor in its alignment
and thus out came the duct tape. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

It ran fine, BTW.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11211  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 29 2019 :  09:14:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff you show resilience and the advanced ability to contemplate the correction steps necessary to complete the project. Did you first try putting everything in the box and shaking it. I,ve been told the Athearn kits are shake the box kits. Now your particular problems requires a style call KITBASHING! Having tried both methods I have spoken of and finding them really not good enough to get the work done. I have resorted to tools, reading instructions and not following the previously suggested methods. Jeff good luck with all your projects and one more thing, don't think luck will help. It doesn't
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 29 2019 :  10:08:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, excellent trial-and-error process Chops..and glad that it all worked out in the end.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Walthers First HO Scale Diesel Model Topic Next Topic: Chops shows off his upgraded Bachmann  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000