Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Walthers First HO Scale Diesel Model
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Little Known PC DD 40-X getting painted. Topic Next Topic: How Not to Remotor a Budd  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 28 2019 :  4:17:16 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist

Those of you who subscribe to HO Collector magazine may recognize this model from the 3rd Quarter 2019 issue. In the article titled "Alco Diesel Timeline" author Tony Cook describes the shell of this model as possibly the first HO scale diesel ever offered to the mass market. Originally introduced in 1938, Walthers first offered the basic die-cast metal shell without a drive mechanism, it was up to the modeler to figure out how to power it. Eventually Walthers did produce a self contained power truck that could be purchased separately to make this model a fully functional locomotive.

Although crude by today's standards, it does capture the general look of an Alco HH600 switch engine. This locomotive started as an unassembled shell which I found on Ebay. To power it, I modified an Athearn SW switcher chassis and mechanism fit the shell. The original Athearn mechanism was also upgraded with "Blunt Truck" side frames and an Ernst slow motion gearing package.

For a prototype, I chose to model Penn Central locomotive 9411, the only HH600 that PC rostered. The real locomotive came to the PC when it acquired the New Haven and was never truely repainted by PC, receiving only a patch job to obscure the NH lettering. The only indication that this is a PC engine is a single mating worm emblem on the front of the hood and a PC locomotive number.

While the detailing of this model is not up to modern standards, this locomotive can still hold its own on a modern layout.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on July 28 2019 4:20:33 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2019 :  7:08:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
One of the more interesting pieces of late. A true
piece of the early HO, and so beautifully rendered.
The paint scheme has a most interesting history.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 28 2019 :  7:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
One of the more interesting pieces of late. A true
piece of the early HO, and so beautifully rendered.
The paint scheme has a most interesting history.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 28 2019 :  7:08:59 PM

Well you can thank Penn Central for being to cheap (or broke) to give the 9411 a proper dip job repainting.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 28 2019 :  8:10:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
For those of you who are interested in how I modified an Athearn drive for this shell, check out the following photos...

In this photo you can see the two screws that attach the shell to the chassis...

Here is a close up of the screws...

In this photo you can see how I had to cut off the ends of the Athearn frame...

In this photo you can see where the screw holes are located flanking the motor commutator....

In this photo you can see how I trimmed the sides of the Athearn fuel tank to fit on the Walthers shell...

In this photo you can see how I adapted the shell to the athearn frame, I used styrene plastic strips to provide a lip for the Ahearn frame to rest on. The half round pieces provide a location for the chassis screws to screw into to hold the two components together. I used CA super glue to hold all the parts of the shell together.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 28 2019 :  10:11:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
it do look like a NH loco cause of the colors
I know you added Kadees to it but what were the couplers like on it originally?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 28 2019 :  10:33:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
it do look like a NH loco cause of the colors
I know you added Kadees to it but what were the couplers like on it originally?

Originally posted by microbusss - July 28 2019 :  10:11:24 PM

The shell did not include couplers, back in the early days of HO scale model railroading there were several different competing coupler systems so Walthers left it up to the modeler to choose his perfered equipment.

That being said, I removed the original coupler mounting pads are replaced them with steps and pilot salvaged from an old Athearn switcher shell.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 29 2019 :  12:59:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is a nice bit of handiwork, Srenchin. Not only did I get
some interesting history of Walther's, HO, but also a
fascinating tidbit about the PC.

From a tip by
Top Train, I used an Athearn SW1500 chassis to power
up a dummy Varney Aerotrain. Lucky for me, the
entire mech was swallowed up by the shell, and
Top Train advised me to simply remove the rear
bogie and not saw the whole thing in half, which I
was just about to do!

What else do you have cooking??
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11201  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 29 2019 :  08:34:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Scott great work on the Alco 600. When I first saw that kit in pieces laying on a friends layout, I was wondering who the heck would want to build such a small equipment shed, or was it a air conditioning unit........ You did some nice work making the bigger Athearn drive small enough to fit that loco body. With me it would be Cut, cut, cut . Hit... hit ... HIT... HIT,,,,,HIT......hit hit hit hit. ah done!. Upon completion get my wife, go to bathroom. Wash the cuts. Have her heip me put on band aids. Go back to project cary it over and drop it in the trash can. Then think of something else I can wreck. Ah if I only had some talent. And in that last sentence that I would have been able to put the word still between I and only.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 29 2019 08:47:38 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 29 2019 :  10:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent craftsmanship, Srenchin! Looks awesome.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - July 31 2019 :  01:23:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Wow, great to see another one of these built up so nicely! I managed to acquire one about a year and a half ago, 100% original and intact, but it's currently apart while I rebuild the original power truck. Here she is before the tear-down:

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 31 2019 :  9:32:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Wow, great to see another one of these built up so nicely! I managed to acquire one about a year and a half ago, 100% original and intact, but it's currently apart while I rebuild the original power truck. Here she is before the tear-down:

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - July 31 2019 :  01:23:01 AM

Wow, that model looks really nice! I have been tempted to purchase assembled versions of this locomotive in the past but it is hard to find one that is in good shape. I also wanted to make a model that I could actually operate as a switcher on my layout so I opted for a hybrid version.

trainman280
Little Six

trainman

Posted - August 04 2019 :  12:40:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainman280 to Buddylist
quote:

HEY! I remember this engine! Was this the train show in Oaks PA or Wilmington DE?
I remember a guy who bought this engine in front of me and told me about its history, being the first engine Walthers ever made...
Good times!
Charles

If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - August 04 2019 :  03:36:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

HEY! I remember this engine! Was this the train show in Oaks PA or Wilmington DE?
I remember a guy who bought this engine in front of me and told me about its history, being the first engine Walthers ever made...
Good times!
Charles

Originally posted by trainman280 - August 04 2019 :  12:40:01 AM

It was the Oaks show! Small world! I'm sorry but I don't recall who it was that was there when I got it, I told a bunch of people about it that day--are you the guy I talked to for a bit, said you were building a Branchline heavyweight kit or something? Who I run into occasionally at shows and I'm always like "hey, you again, the one other young guy out here alone"?

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: The Little Known PC DD 40-X getting painted. Topic Next Topic: How Not to Remotor a Budd  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000