Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 AHM C-Liner motor issues
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: AHM RS2/3 motor issues :( Topic Next Topic: pointless post  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 11 2019 :  4:52:23 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
In obtaining some AHM HO-Scale C-liners recently, I had an issue with one that I do not know how to solve/if solvable:

1 particular powered C-Liner requires almost full power to operate efficiently, and over time, this causes the power-pack to get extremely hot. To avoid "burning out," the power-pack then begins to send less power to the tracks, which in turn slows the C-Liner until it no longer receives enough power to run, and then will merely hum. This process only takes about 15-20 minutes or less.

I believe this is a sign of motor death, but I just want to ensure that it's not an issue I can resolve with cleaning or anything else.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-RP

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 11 2019 :  5:19:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Eeeew. I've had some trouble with AHM motors in general, as
they age, they fail.

I will monk around in my part's box, may have a spare, but
the trouble is the dang things seem to hardly interchangeable.
Surely someone else will have a better idea, but basically
sounds like a toasted motor. "Motor death" indeed. You win,
you lose.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 11 2019 :  5:47:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Eeeew. I've had some trouble with AHM motors in general, as
they age, they fail.

I will monk around in my part's box, may have a spare, but
the trouble is the dang things seem to hardly interchangeable.
Surely someone else will have a better idea, but basically
sounds like a toasted motor. "Motor death" indeed. You win,
you lose.

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 11 2019 :  5:19:13 PM

Yep, that's what I figured. I'm assuming my best bet at this point is to merely look for another functioning C-liner and simply swap chassis.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 12 2019 :  08:14:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
With the body off take a photo of the type motor you have because the loco has a few different variations to its motor. It was first made in the very early 1950's then still available till the 1970's. With that loco you just can't guess what one you have. It's good to show what you have and say what you've done and what you think may still be wrong. Some of the oldest of the Cliners were imported and sold by Lionel and are shown in the lionel companys first catalog.
toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 12 2019 :  3:13:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yeah, that's what it might come down to RP.
Sounds like you got burned.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 12 2019 :  9:09:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
With the body off take a photo of the type motor you have because the loco has a few different variations to its motor. It was first made in the very early 1950's then still available till the 1970's. With that loco you just can't guess what one you have. It's good to show what you have and say what you've done and what you think may still be wrong. Some of the oldest of the Cliners were imported and sold by Lionel and are shown in the lionel companys first catalog.

Originally posted by toptrain - February 12 2019 :  08:14:29 AM

Unfortunately, it's a goner for sure. I took off the shell today and upon close inspection, I noticed that some copper windings are blackened....so oh well. I was fortunate to purchase another C-Liner in excellent operating condition - I'll swap the entire chassis and offer up the shell.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 12 2019 :  10:49:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Another option would be repower your C-Liner with an Athearn F7 mechanism. The hardest part would be finding a way to attach the AHM FM truck sideframes to the Athearn trucks.
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 12 2019 :  11:03:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Another option would be repower your C-Liner with an Athearn F7 mechanism. The hardest part would be finding a way to attach the AHM FM truck sideframes to the Athearn trucks.

Originally posted by Srenchin - February 12 2019 :  10:49:55 PM

Being a "truist" when it comes to old HO-Scale trains...I most likely would never even attempt a project, although it would be somewhat realistic beings that EMD did repower several CFA-16-4's for NYC, I believe.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 13 2019 :  10:01:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

We were just talking about this, RP, and it just slipped my mind. I am pretty sure the motor
and all is in decent condition, but I need to test it out first. If you don't mind sending me $7 for
postage I'll get it out in the mail today. Wait until it arrives, to make sure the mech is running.

On the subject of busted mechs, I got this Bachmann E60, and no amount of fiddling can fix
a split gear. Tried a tab of Gorilla super glue, and it fixed it alright, and seems to have glued
up the remaining transmission. Anyone got a gear, motor, or would a B'mann SD 40 chassis probably fit?

Edited by - Chops124 on February 13 2019 10:13:47 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 13 2019 :  6:23:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

We were just talking about this, RP, and it just slipped my mind. I am pretty sure the motor
and all is in decent condition, but I need to test it out first. If you don't mind sending me $7 for
postage I'll get it out in the mail today. Wait until it arrives, to make sure the mech is running.

On the subject of busted mechs, I got this Bachmann E60, and no amount of fiddling can fix
a split gear. Tried a tab of Gorilla super glue, and it fixed it alright, and seems to have glued
up the remaining transmission. Anyone got a gear, motor, or would a B'mann SD 40 chassis probably fit?

Originally posted by Chops124 - February 13 2019 :  10:01:53 AM

Thanks for the offer, Chops! I'll take it - payment has been sent. Thanks again.

In regards to the Bachmann E60 issues you're experiencing....I recommend finding another chassis/motor to simply swap out, because I have a feeling that it would require a major re-tooling project to insert another manufacturer's motor or chassis.

Edited by - RP model railroads on February 13 2019 6:26:07 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 14 2019 :  12:27:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I will get it out tomorrow, I am glad to be of assistance,
and apologize for not having thought of it sooner. It
just slipped my mind!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 14 2019 :  2:51:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
No problem and thanks again! As I stated prior...I did purchase a functioning AHM C-Liner off Ebay and upon receiving it today, swapped chassis in order to get another recently-obtained NYC C-Liner (stay tuned ) back up and running well.

So...upon receiving your PC C-Liner Chops, I plan on using the chassis to repower one of the shells I've obtained recently for parts, majoritively for horns to fix those C-Liners missing them.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 02 2019 :  11:12:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Work this weekend, but have started to sort out my stuff upon some
new shelving in the garage, and this will HAVE to turn up sooner or
later. One of those things that I had in my hand, photographed it,
put it down, and now cannot find it. But I will and will ship it out
to you with the NH shell as soon as I find it!!!!!!!!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 03 2019 :  9:22:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ok

Previous Topic: AHM RS2/3 motor issues :( Topic Next Topic: pointless post  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000