Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Mesothelioma Central Railroad
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Clear Gorilla Glue for Water on Hart''s Mill Topic Next Topic: Kitty litty  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 25 2018 :  7:35:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
In a previous post regarding using paint pigments to model mud and dirt, Autobus Prime commented...

"You've discovered zip-texturing!

Well, mostly. Zip texturing used dry plaster mixed with dry colors. The plaster was the bonding agent and misted water stuck it all down.

The funny thing, this is the first time I've seen zip texturing depicted in nice rich color, and you know, it looks good! Not sure why it sort of faded away as a technique, looking at those photos...that's some good looking ground!"

"Zip Texturing" was a technique promoted by an old school model railroader named Bill McClanahan who wrote (in conjunction with Linn Westcott) the definitive book about modeling realistic natural geological scenery....

First published by Kalmbach back in 1958 and revised in 1967 this book is a must for every model railroader's library. Although this book is long out of print it is still easy to find on eBay and in second hand literature bins at many hobby shops.

Anyway, when Autobus Prime suggested that I was using a version of the old zip texturing technique I decided to pull out my old copy of this book to reread the relevant chapter. Imagine my surprise when on page 25-26 I read this...

"With the covering support of screen wire in place, it's time to start slinging plaster. What sort of plaster should you use?...

For many years the old standby was patching plaster mixed with asbestos."

Above this paragraph was this picture and caption...

Can you imagine your layout's scenery being composed of mostly asbestos powder!!

Let me tell you, dying from mesothelioma is a horrible way to die, my wife's uncle wasted away to skin and bones before he ended up choking to death on his own blood. I wonder how many old school model railroaders died because they exposed themselves to asbestos while enjoying their hobby.

I sure am thankful that we have safer materials to work with today!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on June 25 2018 7:43:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - June 25 2018 :  8:18:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
To be honest, I think a lot of it depends on exposure level, and probably has something to do with the general health or sturdiness of any given individual. Granted, mixing asbestos powder together in your basement is probably not a good idea. Just imagine what happens when you rip out the layout (can you say "friable fibers"??)

On the other hand, there's plenty of other things that'll kill you via cancer or other diseases. Keep in mind that railroaders, ship buildes, plumbers, etc would have been exposed to far greater amounts every day, rather than small amounts on weekends. A
I've known a couple guyswho worked with the stuff for years, and are still alive and kicking today at 80+ years old.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 25 2018 :  9:32:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's a bit funny, yes, these pioneers of model railroading
weren't too fussy about some stuff we'd run away from.
Lot of MR B&W photos of the day featured haunted
looking men with bags under their eyes and a curl of
the ever present cigarette smoke. Our model train
club didn't get around to banning indoor smoking
until the very late '90's, and a lot of guys were
howling mad.

Also saw an article from the day, recommending the
use of asbestos to create snow capped mountains.

Sorry about your wife's uncle, but none the less an interesting post.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 25 2018 9:34:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 25 2018 :  10:46:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what do model railroaders use now instead of asbestos?

Why was asbestos used?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 25 2018 :  11:26:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

Why was asbestos used?

Originally posted by microbusss - June 25 2018 :  10:46:14 PM

Asbestos would add fiber to the plaster so it wouldn't just crack up and crumble. In today's Sculptamold, wood fiber serves the same purpose. Lots of people layer on paper soaked in plaster, with the paper supplying the fiber. Others use gauze with plaster in it, like they use in making casts for broken arms.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 25 2018 :  11:31:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Our model train club didn't get around to banning indoor smoking until the very late '90's, and a lot of guys were howling mad.
Originally posted by Chops124 - June 25 2018 :  9:32:02 PM

Even if you put aside courtesy to the folks who don't want to smoke just by being in the room, the smoke particles and tar help dirty up the layout and the tracks faster. There are smokers who won't smoke in their railroad rooms.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 26 2018 :  1:31:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yup, this layout has a pretty heavy layer of grime, dust, and
smoke.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - July 05 2018 :  10:22:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I found this cartoon in a copy of "Six HO Railroads You Can Build" published by Atlas. I thought it fit well with the subject of this discussion.

Note the Paris Green which is made from copper(II) acetate and arsenic trioxide, this stuff was used as a green pigment in all sorts of products despite being very toxic!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 01 2019 :  7:33:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
One thing worth noting is to NOT use flour. It attracts insects.
From that era of MR, there was also a notation about a guy
who would sprinkle sand on his O27 layout gradients to
increase traction. I wonder how long that kept up??

WS makes a good snow, bit pricey though, maybe baking
powder would do the trick.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 06 2019 :  10:56:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Why was asbestos used?

Originally posted by microbusss - June 25 2018 :  10:46:14 PM

Asbestos would add fiber to the plaster so it wouldn't just crack up and crumble. In today's Sculptamold, wood fiber serves the same purpose. Lots of people layer on paper soaked in plaster, with the paper supplying the fiber. Others use gauze with plaster in it, like they use in making casts for broken arms.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - June 25 2018 :  11:26:17 PM

I never had an issue with plaster cracking up and crumbling unless I added too much water. I use Hydrocal which is rock hard after it sets. But I do add perlite to the Hydrocal to give it some texture and make the scenery look bumpy.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Clear Gorilla Glue for Water on Hart''s Mill Topic Next Topic: Kitty litty  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000