Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Kitty litty
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mesothelioma Central Railroad Topic Next Topic: Modeling Mud and Dirt with Dry Pigments  

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - May 29 2018 :  5:01:46 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
Has anyone used kitty litter for ballast on there railroad tracks, and if so what kind?
Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 29 2018 :  8:28:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hmmm, that sounds like something out of the 1930's for O27.
Sounds interesting, if I were to do it, and I really, really hate
working with ballast, going to the dentist and getting my
face drilled is more amusing, I'd use a cheap, clay based
kitty litter.

I am reminded of an early Model Railroad article, from the
very early days, in where it was recommended to use
asbestos for snow effects. Or the O27 guy who liked
to apply real sand to his tracks to help them up the hill.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 29 2018 :  10:49:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Hmm, kitty litter is based on clay, usually, and prone to dust production. I don't think I'd use it ( even though I have 4 cats at home LOL! ) And wetting it to glue it down, it would turn more to a mud, not sure. I suppose a trail application to a diorama section of track to explore the idea. Usually the size is too big for HO, probably work better with O gauge.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 30 2018 :  1:32:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
After soaking with glue water, would dust still be an issue?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - May 31 2018 :  12:48:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
I used cheap, clay based kitty litter as ballast for a number of years. Never again if I have any other option. The chunks are too big for HO, and, when glued down, forms a nigh impermeable crust. If you do choose to remove it, you'll be miserable from dust inhalation.

Been there. Done that.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - June 02 2018 :  5:50:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
I found a kitty litter that is the same size as woodland scenics course ballast. It looks good on the track. The only draw back is it tends to clump. Going to try a different way of applying the glue. As far as dust, there shouldn't be any as long as you don't disturb the kitter litter. There is clump less kitty litter but it usually has deodorized crystals in it that are blue or green. My co conspirator and I will try different methods tomorrow.
Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - June 25 2018 :  6:28:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
I glued the kitty litter to the road bed outside of the rails by putting glue on the roadbed first and then putting the kitty litter on next. Then I laid kitty litter down between the rails without gluing it. It seems to work. Sorry no pics, my camera is not working. Will post pics when I can.
Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 25 2018 :  9:40:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now you've got my attention. Look forward to those pics. I am
trying to find a quick and cheap method of ballasting, which
I look forward to like a dental visit. My latest scheme is
to spray WS foam road bed with textured paint and see
how that comes out. Means pulling up track and laying it
down again, but then I'd have to do that anyways.
https://youtu.be/Z_vmc-NSyLU

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 25 2018 :  11:41:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I usually ballast with sand swept up from the road gutter in front of the house. Its assorted particle sizes have more gluing surface than uniform sand grains. I put it between the ties and brush it to the shape I want and then dribble diluted Elmer's carpenter's glue on it. I add either a trace of alcohol or dish soap to speed the absorption of the glue into the sand. The dilution is about 5 parts water to one part glue.

The carpenter's glue/sand composite can be loosened up by wetting it again and then removed with a putty knife. It's important to keep the glue out of moving parts and anything that serves as an electrical contact. (Don't ask me how I know this. )

It doesn't take long to get the hang of this.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mesothelioma Central Railroad Topic Next Topic: Modeling Mud and Dirt with Dry Pigments  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000