Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Model Railroading with Legos
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Modeling Mud and Dirt with Dry Pigments Topic Next Topic: Shanty Town  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 09 2018 :  11:15:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Recently I had a scenery problem on my layout that was giving me trouble. I needed to build a highway overpass on my layout that would also help obscure a hole in the backdrop that one of my main lines passes through. The trouble was that the bridge abutments had to be built into previously constructed hilly terrain and line up perfectly with each other to support a diagonal bridge.

My first attempt to build the bridge abutments involved using Woodland Scenic's plaster concrete retaining wall castings. I soon discovered that the plaster parts were difficult to cut, modify, and glue together. The end result looked sloppy and unrealistic.

What I needed was a means of building walls that could be easily assembled and modified. I decided that for my second attempt to build my abutments I would use old Lego bricks.

The following pictures show the development of this project......

After making some measurements of the space that I was working with on the layout, I initially built my abutments on my work bench...

I would frequently test the fit of the assembly on the layout to make sure the abutments would fit properly...

Once I was satisfied that the assembly was shaped properly I glued the Lego bricks together using plastic cement. Then I sheathed the whole assembly with styrene plastic strips to simulate the look of poured concrete...

As the plastic sheathing process progressed I frequently returned to the layout to retest the fit...

Once the plastic sheathing was complete, I built the bridge spanning the abutments. For this project I used the concrete highway overpass kit Made by Rix...

Lastly, once the whole assembly was put together I painted it with Testors "Weathered Concrete" paint and the gave it a wash of Quick Age weathering solution....

The next step will be to add some graffiti and then blend to whole structure into the surrounding scenery.

I was quite surprised at how easy this project was to build using Lego bricks, if you have a project like this on your layout I highly recommend giving it a try. One word about cost however, DO NOT buy brand new Lego bricks for a project like this from a retail store, Legos are really expensive. Fortunately cheap used Legos can be easily found on eBay so I recommend doing some bargain hunting to find your raw materials!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on June 10 2018 11:13:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 10 2018 :  12:01:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
& a lighted bumper for that track that ends

that true
I recommend garage/yard sales & even 2nd hand stores
Like Goodwill or Salvation Army or w/e you have

Edited by - microbusss on June 10 2018 12:04:06 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 10 2018 :  12:03:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Now that's using the old noggin. Looks fantastic, just like it was poured there.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 10 2018 :  12:05:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Srenchin,

Great idea using lego to custom build the structure. Legos are very sturdy too. FYI, check out Salvation Army and Goodwill stores for used lego sets.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - June 10 2018 :  03:32:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
That's awesome, and quite creative, though I'm sure some lego enthusiasts would freak! But your results are great!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 10 2018 :  06:37:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! As both a Lego and train fan, I am impressed. Excellent craftsmanship, and very resourceful indeed.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2018 :  08:07:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Lego's are cool. As a kid without television (which would have rotted my
brain) I spent hours and hours creating Rube Goldstein contraptions.
Much like model railroading.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 10 2018 :  10:49:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Nice work. Since my boys left behind a ton of Legos, I often use them for supports and to add onto structures along with using to fill interior spaces. Here's some examples. The stone work behind the 'Miami' sign is Legos plus the first floor interior supporting the top tower. The high rise interior again is Legos and sheet plastic along with the tower on the side.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 10 2018 :  8:12:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Nice idea - easy material to work with, form, modify, etc. Wouldn't have thought of that myself. Nicely done!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 10 2018 :  11:31:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
So what kind of graffiti should I put on my nice clean abutments? I am modeling the early 1970's so I need some era specific language.

I was thinking about anti-war and counter culture messages, does anyone have any ideas?

By the way on another bridge abutment on my layout I have already used...

1.) Hell No I Won't Go!

2.) Nixon eats it! (with the "x" replaced with a swastika)

3.) Kill Roy was here.

4.) No Squares

5.) For a good time call Bobi 567-9305 (I couldn't use "Jenny" that is my wife's name)

I'm looking for more ideas.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 11 2018 :  12:31:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Srenchin,

Do a google search on the following, select the picture option, and you'll see lots of graffiti:

1970s graffiti culture
1970s graffiti train
1970s anti war graffiti

Here are a few items I saw:

We all bleed the same color. "Bleed" is red.
Jacksons - Fabulous Five took off in the early 1970s
Make love, not war

Looking forward to the end result.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 11 2018 :  06:31:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
How about the following:

"Peace" - maybe with the Peace sign?

"TYCO"

"No More War"

IDK, just wanted to help out by suggesting a few.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 11 2018 :  09:04:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
How about, "Visualize whirled peas?"
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 11 2018 :  12:17:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh um its Kilroy not Kill Roy

I seen a painting of a huge H under a bridge
the whole H was used for Hate Homeless Hopeless Hoover Hell
Obviously a Depression Era sign
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 12 2018 :  10:07:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
oh um its Kilroy not Kill Roy

I seen a painting of a huge H under a bridge
the whole H was used for Hate Homeless Hopeless Hoover Hell
Obviously a Depression Era sign

Originally posted by microbusss - June 11 2018 :  12:17:16 PM

That's what I thought too, but spell check kept telling me it was incorrect.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 12 2018 :  2:30:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Visualize Whirled Peas. That is precious.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 15 2018 :  12:17:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Well I planted the Lego overpass into my layout's landscape, here is how it turned out...

I think it turned out quite well.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 15 2018 :  06:34:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks awesome!! Nice work!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 15 2018 :  11:38:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice Scott.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Modeling Mud and Dirt with Dry Pigments Topic Next Topic: Shanty Town  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000