Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Bachmann Pancake Motor Transmissions
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: FYI - What''s inside a Tyco gold powerpack Topic Next Topic: Swapping Plastic & Metal Bases, Tyco Freight Cars  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 04 2018 :  5:46:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
"Takka-takka-takka-takka" is the noise it makes, from a Bachmann E60. Bought used, it has seen some extensive use.
I replaced the traction tires, and opened up the gears to apply a dab of grease. The gears do not show
any splitting, but they moved laterally on their respective axles with little effort. They seem to slide out of
position when I go in one direction, and then disengage entirely, but in the other direction they stay in
place but make this awful noise as described above. I wonder if I am eating the transmission.

As the unit is double ended, I don't mind running it only in one direction, but fear I am about to
irreversibly damage the transmission.

I also have a Bachmann PCC trolley with the same crappy motor-transmission, and I KNOW it has many
hundreds of hours of use, and it also goes "takka-takka," runs slowly forward, but good in reverse (I plan
to turn the power truck around).

Is there a fix to this???

Edited by - Chops124 on May 04 2018 5:48:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - May 04 2018 :  7:18:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Would there be a way to shoehorn some sort of sleeve, washer or bushing on the same axle as the gear to fill up the end play and hold the gear in place?

I just looked at the gears in the pancake motor street car truck I used in my doodlebug and it looks like the previous owner might have added tiny washers to the ends of some gears to keep them aligned right.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on May 04 2018 7:25:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - May 04 2018 :  10:37:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Unfortunately, that mess of Bachmann gears has been a terrible design for years. Once they get too much play, your only hope is to find some NOS replacements. Believe it or not, my shop actually HAD some of those transmissions for awhile, not sure if we have used them all up by now or not. But yeah, they get play, the washer trick may work, but once the teeth are worn enough, you either put up with the noise or find a new set of NOS gears to use. I don't think there are any after-market solutions for this ugly design. Just something you have to reckon with unfortunately....

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 05 2018 :  07:45:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
May just put up with the noise. I was thinking a tiny tab of
Liquid Nails to keep it line. But the axle has grease/oil on
it. I may learn to love what I cannot cure. Bachmann
makes such nice models with such lousy transmissions.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: FYI - What''s inside a Tyco gold powerpack Topic Next Topic: Swapping Plastic & Metal Bases, Tyco Freight Cars  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000