Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Swapping Plastic & Metal Bases, Tyco Freight Cars
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Pancake Motor Transmissions Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Gear Needed  

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - January 05 2018 :  8:09:48 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
I am into the older Tyco/Mantua cars with the metal bases and metal trucks. I have over the years picked up trashed cars with the metal bases intact. I have wanted to combine these metal bases with bodies from 70s-vintage all-plastic cars.

It appears that the plastic cars all have a little round tab in each corner that slips into a hole in the plastic base. These holes seem to correspond with those in the corners on the metal frames.

Is it hard to pry the plastic bodies from the plastic frames on 40-year-old cars? Does the plastic get brittle, and do they break easily? I would like to do these modifications, but I don't want to destroy any cars along the way.

Thanks in advance!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 15 2018 :  9:39:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I believe those are twist-insert retainers. Kinda like a screw without a slot, they have steep threads which grip the plastic tower hole inside the shell. Are they hard to get out? Yeah, they can be challenging. can you damage the car body trying to remove them? yeah, you can. . If you can get it pulled up some, you can get a grip on the head with some good needle-nose pliers, and twist it out. But it ain't easy! They were made to go in, and not come back out easily. But it IS doable with some patience. Buy a damaged car with that mounting system, and try to remove them for practice. I think they are metal, though, not plastic. And you're correct, they will mount over the old metal frames, same spacing and design. I've done it before on at least one car. But if I were you, practice on some already damaged rolling stock first to get some practice.

Jerry, train repair tech

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann Pancake Motor Transmissions Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Gear Needed  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000