Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Mantua Copper Passenger Kits?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua NYC Booster Topic Next Topic: Peabody Hopper  

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - April 09 2018 :  12:59:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I recently received this Mantua Old Time passenger car that was painted gold. I stripped it and
expected to find a brass model. Surprise, it is not brass, but copper! When did Mantua make
these kits out of copper?? In this thickness, copper is awfully soft and deformed very easily.
Anyone here ever come across one of these??

This is the sides and roof of the car.

This photo shows a truck with a brass crossbar on top of the copper car top.

If anyone has any info on this model, I would appreciate it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - April 12 2018 :  02:39:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Those were plated tin/steel sheets. Tend to oxidize to a copper like tone.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 12 2018 :  06:41:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The ones I have are brass.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - April 13 2018 :  05:20:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Decided to check on the plated suggestion. These are not plated unless the plate is thicker than
the tin. They are solid copper.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 22 2018 :  9:49:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
What did you use to strip the paint George? I've had that discoloration occur with Mantua brass. I was able to get most of it to disappear and bring out the brass with some polishing. Reminds me of when I used paint remover on the stainless steel grille of my 50 Chevy truck. It discolored the SS. Least-wise, that's what I'm thinking. Try some gentle polishing on a non-exposed area and see what you get. Just don't leave the "chemicals" on long.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - April 23 2018 :  3:24:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I used an industrial strength de-greaser to remove the paint. It's called "Super Clean" and it does
a fantastic job on just about anything. It even removes paint from plastic without damaging the
plastic. I'm going to paint this car to match my Orient Central set. It will give me 4 cars to make
a nice construct of the period.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua NYC Booster Topic Next Topic: Peabody Hopper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000