Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 StromBecker kits - Worth anything?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Penn Line GG1 Topic Next Topic: ROCO Austrian European locomotives and cars.  

chevelle454
Big Six

SFChiefAvatar

Posted - March 23 2018 :  12:43:49 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add chevelle454 to Buddylist
I got 2 of these kits in a lot a few months ago. A Katy boxcar and a Heinz Pickle car. The Katy is complete, with box and manual. The Heinz is missing some parts, but has its manual and box. I'll add some pictures when I get home.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: June 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: August 02 2023 Alert Moderator 

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - March 25 2018 :  01:24:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Strombecker offered lots of different wood kits beginning as early as the mid-30s. Most were very simple and economical, intended as affordable toy kits for folks during the Depression. Originally offered in 1/4" and 1/8" scales, they offered their models in several scales over time, including HO as it became popular in the later 30s. These simple kits did not produce operating models when built with only the parts in the box--they came with wooden blocks for trucks, wood wheels to attach to axles made from nails, and crude hooks for couplers--but it was understood that with the addition of real trucks, couplers and perhaps a few detail bits, they could easily be turned from childrens' toys into HO scale models. I have yet to see any examples of Strombecker toys so converted but I have been told that it was sometimes done, at least with the freight cars.

Their prewar kit offerings included a simple set of a 2-8-2 with freight cars, a variety of historical steam locomotives including an SP Daylight with printed sides, and various freight cars sold individually. Postwar, improved HO freight cars and several very nice streamlined trains were offered, including the Rock Island Rocket. Amazingly, although no new trains were offered after the mid-50s, these simple wood kits were produced for another decade before the company ceased to exist.

I collect these! I happen to have already rescued one example of the Katy boxcar from a junk bin at a show, but the Heinz Vinegar Car (not a pickle car) is one I have been looking for and have not been able to find yet! If you don't want them, PM me, because I do.

--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2018 :  2:30:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11211  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Penn Line GG1 Topic Next Topic: ROCO Austrian European locomotives and cars.  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000