Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Traction Tires for Life-like motive power
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Today in Martinsburg, Vic. (AUS) Topic Next Topic: Life Like Regional Transit Authority  

WillV
Switcher

Streak

Posted - March 22 2018 :  3:43:05 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add WillV to Buddylist
Hello,

I am restoring a friend of mines daughter's train set for her baby shower in June. It's a 1996 Shoprite promotional set from Life-like.

I need to find some traction tires for the locomotive. It has been in crawl space storage for the last 20 years and the tires are split. The locomotive does run.

Where can I obtain these for reasonable price. I need four of them.

Thanks in advance.

William L Vanderburg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 98  ~  Member Since: February 27 2016  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - March 23 2018 :  12:33:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Here are two quotes from prior discussions:

chops124
quote:
The C630 might need new traction tires, I can mail you some. I use "Goody's Hairbands." Costs like a dollar for a package of 100. Cleaning the track won't make the C unit pull any better.

RP Model Railroads
quote:
Chops, you were 100% correct! I obtained some Goody's hairbands today and installed them on the Chessie C630 -- what a difference! Although for some reason, the third hairband traction tire just does not want to stay on....with only 2 new traction tires (hairbands), the C630 can haul 8 cars! No lie! When I had originally received the powered vampire trucks, I did install Calumet traction tires, but even when those traction tires were brand new, the locomotive could only haul 3 cars...and it got progressively worse as the traction tires become oily. Yet, with only 2 Goody's Hairband traction tires, the Chessie C630 runs exceptionally better and is a heavy hauler.

I bought a bag for myself and the bands work pretty good. If you don't have a dollar store in your area, or just want a few, PM me and I'll send you a bunch.

Edited by - Brian4321 on March 23 2018 12:53:49 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 23 2018 :  12:21:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Goody's.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 23 2018 :  12:29:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Goody's.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 23 2018 :  12:21:22 PM

I still haven't located those
I'm missing them somewhere! grrr
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 23 2018 :  8:03:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I was thinking Goody's Hairband Traction Tires.........

Yes, thanks to Chops' suggestion a while ago, I have used Goody's with success on several Tyco locomotives with PT motors!! The ones that work best for PT motors are the smallest black rubber Goody's - although still, some Tyco PT drive wheels tend to flip off the first couple of hairbands/traction tires, so it will take a few trials (depending on locomotive wheels.)

For MU-2 style motors, the clear, thin rubber Goody's are best.......they are also the smallest of their type.

I'll take a picture of the ones I have this evening and update this reply-post. I would be willing to spare some (although most of the black ones remaining didn't stay on Tyco PT motor drive wheels I had, but they might be the perfect size for a LifeLike loco.) However, these Goody's hairband traction tires can be obtained at your local Wal-Mart too (that's where I found them)

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

WillV
Switcher

Streak

Posted - March 23 2018 :  8:12:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add WillV to Buddylist
i'll give that a try

Thanks!

William L Vanderburg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 98  ~  Member Since: February 27 2016  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 23 2018 :  9:45:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
i'll give that a try

Thanks!

Originally posted by WillV - March 23 2018 :  8:12:43 PM

Here are the clear hairbands/traction tires:

Here are the black hairbands/traction tires:

Here's a comparison in size between a clear, thin hairband traction tire - and a black, thicker rubber traction tire:

I can send you 6 of each, for free if you like!! Please inform me.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 28 2022 :  10:06:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Recently I've come across some issues with installing new traction tires on LifeLike GP38-2's.

In particular, standard Calumet diesel traction tires are too wide to properly fit the drive wheels, and Goody's are, in actuality, poor when it comes to traction.

Are there any other traction tires that will properly fit a LifeLike GP38-2?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 04 2022 :  6:40:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I second RP's comments. I too have had a lot of trouble with the Goodies. They work fine for a little while, but break up soon after.

Calumets have worked out supreme well, and unlike the Goodies, they go
on flat, without the darned twist.

$3 at the Albuquerque Model Train Show. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Today in Martinsburg, Vic. (AUS) Topic Next Topic: Life Like Regional Transit Authority  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000