Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 newbie with Chattanooga Choo-Choo set
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Peabody Hopper Topic Next Topic: Very Tiny 2.75  

MikeR
Switcher

Posted - February 13 2018 :  9:31:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add MikeR to Buddylist
My folks are moving into a retirement community and are cleaning out their home. They found a Tyco Chattanooga Choo-Choo set that I played with 40 years ago. The box is in deplorable condition and there are no tracks, but the locos and cars are in good shape and are still in the original brown boxes. The power pack and other accessories are still there too. I believe this is the first edition of the Chattanooga Choo-Choo because the box says "With Smoke & Steam Whistle." How do I determine if it is in fact the first edition, and also the year? I'd like to get it to someone who will appreciate it ... is it generally better to sell something like this as a set or sell each piece individually? I don't believe these are worth a whole lot so for me it's more about the most appropriate way to get it into the right hands. Thanks in advance for the group's guidance from a total newbie!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: February 13 2018  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2018 Alert Moderator 

WillV
Switcher

Streak

Posted - February 13 2018 :  11:49:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add WillV to Buddylist
The set first appeared in the 1975 catalog for TYCO. It was catalog number 7331.

I am quoting here: "This first TYCO Chattanooga set in addition to the 2-8-0 Consolidation loco also came with a Santa Fe Crane Car and Boom Tender (No.932); Old Dutch Cleanser Center-Flow Hopper (No.358F); Gulf Triple Dome Tank Car (No.357B); Chattanooga Wide-Vision Caboose (No.327-15).

The set also included (No.934) Remote Control Steam Whistle in Billboad featuring Maxwell House Coffee card inserts for its billboard. Finishing out this popular set was a 36" x 45" oval of track that could be set up with a raised section thanks to the inclusion of a 17-piece Bridge & Trestle Set (No.907) and the standard 1-amp TYCO-PAK (No.899)."

It was a completely different set in 1977

William L Vanderburg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 98  ~  Member Since: February 27 2016  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MikeR
Switcher

Posted - February 14 2018 :  07:33:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MikeR to Buddylist
Thank you William! I saw this description online too and that is part of what's tripping me up. I have the the loco (I assume it's the 2-8-0 Consolidation -- there's no stock number on the box but the number 638 is printed on the side of the loco and it looks exactly like the photos I have seen of this loco). I also have No. 932, No. 358F, and No. 357B, along with the Remote Control Steam Whistle in Billboard with Maxwell House card insert. So far so good. HOWEVER ... the caboose is different. It's the Sante Fe caboose with the narrow cupola on top (if that's what you call it), 328J. I also have a second loco (Sante Fe GP-20 Diesel, No. 228-21), and a couple extra cars, 344-D (hopper car) and a yellow car with Illinois Central on the side but no stock number on the box. I assume the second loco and extra cars were purchased separately but am wondering about that caboose!

quote:
The set first appeared in the 1975 catalog for TYCO. It was catalog number 7331.

I am quoting here: "This first TYCO Chattanooga set in addition to the 2-8-0 Consolidation loco also came with a Santa Fe Crane Car and Boom Tender (No.932); Old Dutch Cleanser Center-Flow Hopper (No.358F); Gulf Triple Dome Tank Car (No.357B); Chattanooga Wide-Vision Caboose (No.327-15).

The set also included (No.934) Remote Control Steam Whistle in Billboad featuring Maxwell House Coffee card inserts for its billboard. Finishing out this popular set was a 36" x 45" oval of track that could be set up with a raised section thanks to the inclusion of a 17-piece Bridge & Trestle Set (No.907) and the standard 1-amp TYCO-PAK (No.899)."

It was a completely different set in 1977

Originally posted by WillV - February 13 2018 :  11:49:18 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: February 13 2018  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - February 16 2018 :  9:31:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
I know at least one first edition Chattanooga set (mine) came with the Santa Fe wide vision caboose. Not the same as your caboose but Tyco obviously made substitutions so it's possible you have the original caboose, but that's by no means definite!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 16 2018 :  10:48:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I know at least one first edition Chattanooga set (mine) came with the Santa Fe wide vision caboose. Not the same as your caboose but Tyco obviously made substitutions so it's possible you have the original caboose, but that's by no means definite!

Originally posted by gmoney - February 16 2018 :  9:31:53 PM

yeah & the later Diesel came with a Streamlined caboose
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

WillV
Switcher

Streak

Posted - February 17 2018 :  2:06:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add WillV to Buddylist
OK Tyco also made that Engine lettered for SANTA FE, and the number 638 appears on the engine, and SANTA FE on the tender.

The engine in the actual original Chattanooga set will say "CHATTANOOGA" on the side.

The Streamlined caboose would be from a later set.

So it is possible the set you have may have been cobbled together.

William L Vanderburg
Edited by - WillV on February 17 2018 2:08:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 98  ~  Member Since: February 27 2016  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MikeR
Switcher

Posted - February 18 2018 :  1:17:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MikeR to Buddylist
Thank you all!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: February 13 2018  ~  Last Visit: February 18 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 18 2018 :  2:01:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mike, I'd hate to see you sell this, unless you really need the $25 you
might get for it, if you can find a buyer. Have you not thought about
setting it up as a holiday display? A forty year old memory is hard
to come by...Best wishes to your folks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Peabody Hopper Topic Next Topic: Very Tiny 2.75  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000