Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 New house layout!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO
Page: of 7

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 04 2018 :  7:52:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Pretty fine there Wiley. Lots of attractions.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 04 2018 :  7:56:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
OOOO! Pizza Hut & Burger King! *droools*
that on my list hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 04 2018 :  9:22:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Shaping up nicely!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 05 2018 :  5:49:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've been working on placing where roads and buildings will be going on the next stage of the layout...

Here is where the water bodies will later be carved into the foam surface.

Working on the residential section of the town as well.

One of the railroad crossings on the layout, with nonoperating Bachmann signals placed there for now. Once I'm ready to do landscaping, I will glue that edge of the foam sheet to the other one so they will be at an even height.

An overview of three of the crossings. One of them is going to be the TYCO Lighted Signal Crossing from the early 80s.

Two more schools have been placed on the layout: the Atlas Jefferson High building (I might add on to it to make it a bit bigger, maybe attach the Plasticville school house to it or something) and the Life-Like Union Avenue School. Also, at where Aunt Millie's House is, the farm will be going there.

Life-Like Operating Coal Tipple. This is the version made from 1996 until recently that will accommodate roadbed track.

Overview of the progress so far. I ordered a few more track sections, which should hopefully come in this week. Other plans include the drive-in theater (of course), a coal yard and a logging mill, and a ledge on one or two of the corners.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 06 2018 :  7:16:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
An update on how I'll be controlling the layout...

I got a typical modern Bachmann power pack and hooked it up to my E-Z Command unit, as this way you can operate ten digital addresses and one analog locomotive (I will still make an isolated siding to park any analog locomotives on when not in use, like on the previous layout.) I am still hoping to at least either get a decoder-equipped steam locomotive, or find out how to upgrade my IHC/Mehano Consolidation steam loco (which uses the same tooling as TYCO's old Consolidation!) I'll also use the Bachmann pack here to power the turnouts and any close-by electrically-operated "action accessories", but for any other lights or accessories requiring an AC connection I will be mounting older train set power packs under the benchwork for that (I've got quite a bit of those blue Life-Like power packs, and a few older Bachmann and TYCO packs as well.)

My Life-Like operating logging mill! This is a pretty cool manually-operated action accessory Life-Like made for a long time. A shame they didn't make a Power-Loc -compatible version or similar. In the 70s, Life-Like did come out with some rather unique action accessories that were different from what Bachmann, Cox and TYCO were making at the time.

The Amtrak train stopped at the Life-Like Snap-Loc commuter station.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 06 2018 :  9:48:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Keep up the great work!!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 09 2018 :  11:06:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, my mother and I both agreed that we should probably keep the layout as a 12x8 L-shape instead of a C-shape, due to the way the basement is designed, and I found I can still fit what I want on the layout anyways, thanks to moving some stuff around (that's another benefit of not jumping into doing landscaping and with using E-Z Track, according to "The HO Model Railroading Handbook - 3rd Edition."

Overview of the second platform as modified.

Trying out more structure locations...

I relocated where the stream will be going, along with the coal unloading station.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 09 2018 :  11:53:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 10 2018 :  10:15:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
LOTS of updates to mention!

An overview of the layout; it's easier to do such photos at different angles with this new location.

My Amtrak "Genesis" diesel pulling the Amfleet cars.

Working on setting up the TYCO unloading hopper car.

Running the track-cleaning boxcar just to give the rails a quick once-over.

I've finally got both ends of the track on both platforms connected!

My freight train running on the second platform.

This is why you have to be careful with double-track railroad crossings.

Here's a video I shot, too!

Since all this, I removed the small passing siding on the second platform as I found it unnecessary with the revisions.

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 10 2018 :  11:02:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
I love your platform! Looks great.

How do you like that track cleaning boxcar? What is the maker?

Mark

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - February 10 2018 :  11:09:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Really looking good Wiley. Gonna have me turning into a "lime" if you keep this up. (double
drool)

That looks like a Walthers track cleaner car. I have one like it. The pad is the give-a-way,
Chevy.

Edited by - oldtimer52 on February 10 2018 11:11:15 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 10 2018 :  12:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That is quite something Wiley.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 10 2018 :  2:48:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice layout, wiley! Your video is stunning!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 10 2018 :  3:10:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:

That looks like a Walthers track cleaner car. I have one like it. The pad is the give-a-way,
Chevy.
Originally posted by oldtimer52 - February 10 2018 :  11:09:30 AM

Yup, it's definitely a Walthers. It came with horn-hook couplers originally, but I replaced them with E-Z Mate Mark II couplers to allow for better compatibility with the rest of my locomotives and rolling stock (even the old TYCO stuff, of course!) Now I just need to find where we packed the sandpaper during the move so I can clean the bottom of the pad (once it eventually is worn down, I just buy a replacement pad.) I would've gone with a Bachmann track-cleaning car but it cost more, plus the Walthers Trainline rolling stock is just as good as the Bachmann Silver Series rolling stock.

BTW, time for some more updates, yet again!

The longer Amtrak consist looks better when running on the outer loop and onto the second platform. It's worth noting that regarding the Amtrak dome car (currently the only piece of Amtrak rolling stock Bachmann makes!), [url=http://amtrakdowneaster.com/dome-car]Amtrak really does have a dome car[/url] that looks very much like that (complete with Phase III paint scheme) that they use on the Downeaster train in August and September. And since Budd made the car way back when, it doesn't look too out of place with the Amfleet cars (up here in New England, we just use the Amfleet I cars, which is what Bachmann's Amfleet models were of.)

Testing out the TYCO Freight Unloading Depot. I set it on a 1/4-inch piece of Woodland Scenics styrofoam cut to fit, and the clearance and height is just about perfect! I got a few nice big sheets pf 1/4-inch styrofoam to use as "building sites" for some railroad structures that will be right alongside the tracks (such as stations.)

The TYCO Lighted Signal Crossing in action. Even if the lights get their power from the track, it doesn't affect train operation very much, including compared to on the previous layout (I did give the rails a good cleaning with a Walthers Bright Boy track cleaner before setting uo the crossing.)

The TYCO hopper car unloading set all set up on the layout. I recently replaced the horn/hook couplers on the hopper with E-Z Mate Mark II couplers using Kadee talgo truck adapters. The doors on the bottom seem keen on staying open a crack, so I will probably use a thicker "coal" material than what came with the set.

I just carved the stream to go under the bridge!

A slope along side one of the curves. The bottom of it separated from the rest of the foam by accident, but I'll just glue it all together once I actually glue the foam base to the plywood when I am ready for landscaping.

The Amtrak train stopped at the train station near the stream.

Edited by - wiley209 on February 10 2018 3:11:33 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 10 2018 :  4:09:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real kool

am looking for the cheaper version of that flashing crossing signal
OR that signal that someone removed for use else where
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 10 2018 :  5:29:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice, wiley! Your layout is looking great.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 11 2018 :  12:43:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 11 2018 :  10:11:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

Trying out some realistic railroad switching operations...

I've got the control panel built on my train table! (The reason for the TYCO pack is because with the Bachmann power speed controller I got, the AC terminals don't work.) I will have a lot of drilling into the panel to do in order to hook up the remote switches for the turnouts (along with a lot of those 10" switch extension wires)...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 12 2018 :  6:28:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome!!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 19 2018 :  12:01:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I won't be starting the landscaping process until March, but I have been gathering up the materials to use...

It probably won't be enough for the entire layout, but it's a start. I'll probably get a couple of cans of earth and dark green latex paints to use as well, instead of just relying on the Woodland Scenics undercoatings.

I bought some cheap HO-scale plastic stairs from an eBay seller from China to use with these train station platforms elevated on the Woodland Scenics 1/4-inch foam. When I do landscaping, these styrofoam pieces will be painted gray.

Another styrofoam base under one of the train stations.

Just a shot of my Amtrak train passing on the ledge.

Both of my current train consists in action.

A nice close-up shot of the Amtrak train parked on the bridge next to the station.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 19 2018 :  07:35:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Keep up the great work.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 05 2018 :  5:24:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, it's almost time for me to begin the landscaping part of building my train layout!

I've been removing the track and buildings and such from the foam base so I can get ready to glue them to the plywood, and then I can start using the paint and ground cover. I will probably end up saving the roads for last, as I am waiting for Walthers to come out with these flexible adhesive paved roads at the end of this month...
https://www.walthers.com/flexible-self-adhesive-paved-roadway-version-2

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 06 2018 :  5:36:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Did some more carving of foam for the scenery!

Trying to improve the water body a bit.

On this corner, this ledge is going to be a "lover's lane" that overlooks the downtown area.

Testing clearance of another ledge that will be placed alongside the tracks.

Then I decided to add a second layer like this to make it more visually interesting.

Preparing a small stream that will go to the logging mill.

I have now glued the extruded insulation foam to the plywood, along with the ledges and such. The stuff on the table is to help push the foam down until the glue dries, to allow a firmer bond.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 06 2018 :  5:47:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Working with that foam is an art in itself Wiley. Fun to see the photos as this comes along.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 06 2018 :  10:11:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've already been starting out with a little bit of the actual landscaping...

There's a feeling of satisfaction I get when I do model railroad layout landscaping like this, watching the bare platform being covered bit-by-bit.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 07 2018 :  07:35:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NICE! Looking good!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 07 2018 :  11:09:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A champion Tycofusion layout!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 08 2018 :  9:36:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
More landscaping progress!

Getting started on the ballast gravel ground for the industrial yard section of the layout.

I applied more grass on another end of the layout, using Life-Like SceneMaster light green ground cover.

I have now painted and added ground cover to the hill on one corner of my layout, where my "Lovers' Lane" will be going.

For this area on the layout, I am using older Life-Like "grass" ground cover, which was basically sawdust dyed green. It seems to look as good as the ground foam stuff.

Another angle of the grass "growing."

I'm also decorating the styrofoam "building sites" that certain structures that have to be raised to the height of the track are to be placed on.

Here I am trying out the Woodland Scenics Smooth-It Road System, which involves a plaster-like material. Kind of messy to work with and hard to make it exactly smooth, but the paving tape helps!

I've got the dirt patch for the farm ready. I used a mix of Woodland Scenics earth-colored fine turf and some Life-Like SceneMaster light-brown ground cover.

More grass has been added, and I also painted and applied ground cover to the other ledge.

Just after painting my attempt at using the Smooth-It road system. The light-colored parts are supposed to look like concrete (Woodland Scenics's "concrete' top coat), but it's a rather odd color. I just use that for areas where rows of city buildings are to be set up.

A lot more gravel has been added to the industrial yard area.

I am pleased with how it's coming along, but tomorrow I will need to get more Woodland scenic cement and earth undercoat paint...

Edited by - wiley209 on March 08 2018 9:53:00 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 08 2018 :  9:45:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It just keeps getting better and better. The use of the Bachmann EZ trak
is a great idea, it saves so many headaches now and tomorrow.
On the video, it is a great visual how the two trains come into
face with each other, than glide majestically past one another.
I wish I could climb aboard that Amtrak and watch the town and
farms roll past.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 08 2018 :  11:19:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow - that landscaping looks so realistic, wiley! Well done!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 11 2018 :  12:32:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
More updates on the landscaping...

I've expanded the area of gray ballast more for the rail yard here.

I have also "planted" more grass here (for this area I used the Woodland Scenics green blend fine turf; I'm varying the grass in different parts of the layout to allow for a bit of variety and more realism.)

The area where the coal yard will be going.

More grass "planting," this time using the older-style Life-Like grass (the green-dyed sawdust). Once I get more earth-colored paint, I'll do that ledge in the foreground. (I've discovered when I paint the cut foam looking like that, the finished result looks a lot like actual dirt! But I still enhance it with ground cover anyways.)

Still working on putting the coal yard together...

More painting of the surface and placement of structures and track. Note the Pola Truck Terminal; that's new. I bought the Walthers Trainline version, but it's otherwise the exact same kit that TYCO, IHC and Model Power used to sell. (I don't think AHM sold it though...)

This side is practically almost finished with the landscaping and scenery. Once I get more asphalt-colored paint, I will paint that piece of foam between the two track rerailers near the station. Then I may eventually replace that AHM dummy crossing signal down the line with an operating flashing crossing signal (even though I'm only going to be using one.)

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 11 2018 :  12:58:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks to be coming together pretty nice Wiley. I like the way you mixed the browns and greens.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 11 2018 :  2:14:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Agree. This looks like a faithful view of small town America.
I remember a time before shopping malls- they moved in
and left ghost towns.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:36:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
!!! NICE!!

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:40:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Nice! I see that build a scene
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Thanks! That's kind of the idea of my train layouts, going for a traditional small kind of town. There are a few like those near where I live (such as Avon and West Bridgewater), so that must've given me some inspiration. Here are some more updates...

The coal yard is practically finished! The reason for the boxes there is to show how I'll often combine different companies' products on a train layout for greater realism and variety.

This farm provides another instance of me doing so: the farmhouse is Pola's "Aunt Millie's House" (TYCO version), and the barn and other farm buildings are Bachmann Plasticville kits. I added some white trim paint to the barn to make it look more realistic. Then I just need to apply the fences, crops, trackside stock pen and figures.

The TYCO Freight Unloading Depot and Lighted Signal Crossing now positioned on the layout. I will reinforce the track joints at the crossing with duct tape on the bottom.

The TYCO manual piggyback loader/unloader setup. I just need to get some gray paint for the styrofoam base under the loader/unloader and a few other similar building sites I've made as well...

For the downtown area, I am trying out the Walthers Cornerstone Street System. They haven't been completely painted yet (I had a small paint accident on one section), but I will do that before I glue them together and down. Then for the residental area I will use the Walthers SceneMaster adhesive roads once it comes out.

Edited by - wiley209 on March 11 2018 3:55:16 PM

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 11 2018 :  4:29:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
That's fantastic! I really love that farm scene!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 11 2018 :  4:37:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
This is pretty nice. Things are really starting to come together in the last batch of pictures.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:16:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looking awesome, wiley!! Excellent Work! The downtown scene is getting better and better!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:55:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 16 2018 :  10:03:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, I was finally able to restock on some landscaping materials (paint and ground cover) and make a lot more progress with the layout!

More painting and ground cover planting has been done now!

I've finally been able to paint and sprinkle ground cover on this ledge as well! Makes a big difference.

Just after more landscaping...

The same area with structures placed on hours later.

In the downtown area I am still using the Walthers Cornerstone street system for the roads. In other areas once they come out I will use the new Walthers SceneMaster adhesive roads.

The residential area from another angle, now with more detailing applied to the farm! I still need to get the stuff ready to make the water body under the bridge.

An overview with two trains set up on the layout!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 16 2018 :  10:33:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
GREAT JOB, wiley!! Superb landscaping!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 17 2018 :  1:37:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 17 2018 :  3:08:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking good

Build-A-Scene Coal Yard is 1 of 4 I wants hehe

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 17 2018 :  4:19:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Yet more pictures...

The Life-Like SceneMaster operating semaphore in action. I will either disguise the wire with lychen, or once I finally get an extended-length drill bit so I can drill through the insulation foam and plywood tabletop I can run the wires underneath.

Showing some more installations of the Walthers Cornerstone Street System sections. I will soon get around to striping them.

I now have the Life-Like operating logging mill set up, along with having applied ground cover to the roadway behind it. Soon I will get some kind of material for the creek to simulate the water (either Artist's Gloss or the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water system.)

The TYCO billboard (need to get a new bulb for it) and some animal figures are placed on this ledge.

The farm now set up with fencing and figures.

I have now posed a couple of hoboes (Woodland Scenics figures) in one of my boxcars!

More hoboes found in the rail yard with a small bonfire. The Bachmann brakeman figure is to mark where an undertrack magnet is located.

The Amtrak train stopped at the downtown train station. The stairs I bought from a Chinese manufacturer on eBay.

Another shot of the downtown area showing some more of the Street System in place.

Yet another shot of downtown showing the 1982 TYCO Center St. Series building kits in place, with figures on them too.

The industrial rail yard section of my layout with landscaping, structures and such in place.

An overview from a different angle of the layout.

Edited by - wiley209 on March 17 2018 4:27:11 PM

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 17 2018 :  7:29:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
MORE updates still...

I've added a vegetable garden to the farm! It's from a Bachmann "Scenic Classics" kit from cira 1979. It was kind of tricky applying the "vegetables" to the garden, but I am pleased with how it came out. The kit was missing the little wooden poles to apply tomatoes to, but I suppose I can make them myself. It also came with a couple of unpainted figures, wheelbarrow and a PINK tree. (What was Bachmann thinking back in 1979?) Maybe I'll get around to painting the figures at some point; I have the paints I would need already...

Some action at the commuter train station platform next to the coal yard and gas station.

Since the switches and trains were currently configured not to run on that outer curve in the photo, I placed my TYCO crane car and boom tender there for now. (Again, I went with the Santa Fe versions from the 70s to fit with my BNSF freight trains.)

Camping underneath the railroad line here! The brakeman figure you see is, again, to mark an undertrack magnet for any freight operations with the nearby logging mill.

An overview of the residential area, along with the gas station, some of the coal yard, two of the schools, the library and church, and the TYCO Freight Unloading Depot and Lighted Signal Crossing.

I thought seeing the Amtrak train going around the curve through the woods looked pretty cool, so I figured I'd get a shot of it. As for the trees, I may get pins to drill into the bottom of the trunks after clipping the bases to "plant" them into the ground firmly.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 17 2018 :  7:29:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
REALLY Nice, Wiley!

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 17 2018 :  8:29:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Neat!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 18 2018 :  11:41:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, I got me a couple of extended-length drill bits, allowing me to now run wiring underneath my layout to power lights and accessories!

The TYCO Lighted Freight Station and the Life-Like KFC are the first to come on, wired up to the TYCO Pak on the control panel.

The TYCO Freight Unloading Depot is wired up now, too. I disguised the wire going from the back into the hole with lychen. (I wonder if there's a way I can lube and/or oil the depot so it doesn't struggle or squeal too much?)

The control panel is neater-looking on this end, now that I re-routed the wiring to underneath the panel. I'll still need a way to drill slits to fit each of the Bachmann remote switch connectors though, due to their shape.

I also got the TYCO operating boxcar working on this layout as well! I plan to soon wire up the log dump car bin as well.

And here's the manual TYCO piggyback loader/unloader at work.

More lights on at this end! The TYCO Lighted Factory and Life-Like Lighted Yard Tower, and lights inside the TYCO Center. St drug store, furniture store and school.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 19 2018 :  09:34:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
For my bachmann switches I drilled two 1/4" holes next to each other and used a utility knife to shape the part in between.
Edited by - RealBnsfIA on March 19 2018 09:40:24 AM
Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000